PDA

View Full Version : High Standard Duramatic

richhodg66
12-31-2016, 08:41 PM
Went in an LGS today with the wife to kill some time and one of these with a six inch barrel showed up for $225. I have a lot of guns, but .22 pistols is one area I don't have much of really, and though I'm not the best pistolero around, I shoot ones with longer barrels and sight radius a lot better than shorter ones, and this would be a good one to carry around my acreage in a holster for whatever I may need a gun for.

I know High Standard was known for some serious quality target pistols, back when Dad was a serious contender, he shot target Woodsmans but seems like most of the guys who were competitive shot High Standards. The one in question had some wear and the grips were cracked but serviceable. Is this a good price for one of these and how are they in terms of accuracy and reliability?

Outpost75
12-31-2016, 09:36 PM
Fair, good price for a Duramatic in VG+ to Exc. condition. Good pistol for your survival ruck. Sturdy,simple, accurate, reliable.

rintinglen
01-01-2017, 06:57 AM
I had one with the shorter 4 inch barrel. They had a funky, fiber-glass grip-frame but were otherwise pretty good guns. I sold mine to buy my second Colt Woodsman back in the 80's and have never replaced it, but I have some fond memories of that gun. Only draw back is parts availability, they have been out of print for a great many years. They used to be available from Sears with Sears markings and you could order parts from Sears"s parts department. I have seen a couple of them so marked over the years.

If I needed a 22, I'd take one in a minute. Were I you, I'd offer $200.00 for it. I like them better than the Browning Nomad pistols of that era. (But I have a Nomad--go figure.)

dubber123
01-01-2017, 07:58 AM
I got a NIB 4" version a while back, it was completely reliable and shot under 2" at 50 yards with match ammo. A friend collects Hi-Standard autos, so I let it go reside with him :)

contender1
01-01-2017, 11:10 AM
While it's known I'm a Ruger guy,, I also own several HS 22 semi's. I'd buy it in a snap.