PDA

View Full Version : scope ring size?

max it
12-31-2016, 03:23 PM
Hi Ya,
I have acquired a Tasco scope with 27.75mm body diameter; what size rings do I want?
I am looking at the Warne Med height. this is for my AR15 which has the A2 front sight.

much obliged,

Max

NSB
12-31-2016, 06:41 PM
Too small for 30mm so it has to be 1".

country gent
12-31-2016, 07:05 PM
Your Scope tube is 1.090 diaIt falls between the 1" and 30 mm rings. May require a tasco specialty ring. 30mm rings with a .045 spacer formed to fit in the rings might work well here also. .046 might be better though. If this is a flat top reciever you may want tall rings for a better head position on the stock. I have made 3/4" risers for my scope mounted flat tops to get the scopes high enough for a good head position. My NRA match rifles Iron sights sit high for this reason also.

country gent
12-31-2016, 07:08 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that the ARs recoil is harder on scopes and mounts than regular rifles due to the multiple recoil impacts, firing, carrier hitting back and slaming forward to hit again. This forward recoil impulse is really disruptive to most mounts scopes.

NSB
12-31-2016, 08:32 PM
Who manufactures a scope that is between 1" and 30mm ? I've never seen one and I haven't seen any advertised. I guess someone might make one in between, I'm just wondering who. My first thought was incorrect measurement when I read the post. Just curious.

max it
12-31-2016, 08:56 PM
Who manufactures a scope that is between 1" and 30mm ? I've never seen one and I haven't seen any advertised. I guess someone might make one in between, I'm just wondering who. My first thought was incorrect measurement when I read the post. Just curious.

Well I have a caliper as I am a reloader.

max it
12-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that the ARs recoil is harder on scopes and mounts than regular rifles due to the multiple recoil impacts, firing, carrier hitting back and slaming forward to hit again. This forward recoil impulse is really disruptive to most mounts scopes.

Hi Gent, you are probably right. Which makes this even more of a odd ball. Maybe I will just swap it and leave my AR either the trijicon or the iron sights.

country gent
12-31-2016, 09:52 PM
As I thought about this post Im wondering is scope tube dia inside Dia or outside Dia ? Been a long time since ive had to measure one. Ill check it here quick. A one inch bushnell ring measured .998 ID. I had a early Tasco pro point that used rings that were a special size. But it came with them. It also used a battery size available in Russia and some of europe.

lefty o
12-31-2016, 11:53 PM
thats got to be some sort of old oddball, as 1"=25.4mm .

max it
01-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Lefty, right on. my gunny suggests that it is the rubber coating on a 1" tube scope.
he is searching for rings that fit. if not i will ask LGS to take it back as it doesnt fit anything i have. wow this rifle thing is a huge learning curve. i already had to adjust my reloading to go dead slow. considering i have two Dillons that are just about worthless for rifle loads. my single stage RCBS is just as fast.
anyway much obliged, Max

max it
01-10-2017, 12:44 AM
Hey, I ordered mid height 1" rings and will see if i can tighten just right.

M-Tecs
01-10-2017, 12:58 AM
my gunny suggests that it is the rubber coating on a 1" tube scope.

I have only seen one rubber coated scope and it was the was same deal. The rings that came with the scope were a *** and nothing else fit. The owner sent it back.

max it
01-12-2017, 02:32 PM
hi M-Tecs, the 1" rings wouldn't work. one knowledgeable dude suggested risers; I ordered two from Amazon. that way I can use the funky rings that came with the Tasco and get to a picatinny rail a little higher up. I ordered 1/2" and 3/4" as I am not sure what I need to clear the front optic from the forearm and yet see thru the A2. I'll keep you posted. Much obliged, Max

max it
01-18-2017, 06:35 PM
eureka! the riser did it.
much obliged to all, Max