PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with Alliant powders?

marlin39a
12-30-2016, 06:42 PM
I look at Powder Valley, just about everything Alliant is out of stock. I emailed, and got a phony response that they're cranking out powder like crazy. Hodgdon, Accurate, Winchester, and others, are pretty much in stock. I will find a replacement for 2400, and never look back.

toallmy
12-30-2016, 06:58 PM
I have resorted to purchasing Alliant powder from dealers on gun brokers for a few years now .

oldblinddog
12-30-2016, 07:02 PM
My LGS has Alliant powders.

dragon813gt
12-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Hodgdon is releasing equivalents of Red/Green/Blue Dot and Unique. That should tell you all you need to know about Alliant powder availability. Hodgdon obviously sees a market for it.

Wally
12-30-2016, 08:08 PM
I check the Powder Valley website often and have for years..I have yet to ever see Alliant powders in stock, but I have found it elsewhere. I e-mailed them about it and I got, what a consider a BS response....they have lost a customer.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Gee, Marlin--a replacement for 2400? May it never be!

Skeet06
12-30-2016, 09:27 PM
I hope if you find a replacement for 2400 you will be kind enough to share the information.

runfiverun
12-30-2016, 09:45 PM
alliant's own 410, AA-4100, Ram shot Enforcer, VV n-110.
been using the 4100-Enforcer for a number of years now [same powder & jugs different labels]
it's loads are about 3-4 tenth's lower than 2400 for the same-same.

GhostHawk
12-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Alliant can be harder to find. My advice pick 3 or 4 good company's and check their stocks regularly. Like daily, and when you find it, buy in bulk.

In the last 3 years I went from having only 2 cans of 4350 and 2 of 4895 to over 24 lbs of Red Dot and a variety of other powders. The Red Dot was in 4 separate purchases. Would have been much easier, and cheaper to buy 3 8lb jugs.

Bass pro is good but pricey, same for Cabella's, Ballistics's Products is my favorite supplier. Having everything to do with shotgun and they get in good amounts of Alliant products.

They may be out of a few powders at times, but patience will fill your shelves.

Wild Bill 7
12-30-2016, 10:31 PM
Try reloading unlimited. They seem to have alliant powders most of the time. They are in Calhoun Tennessee.

Ithaca Gunner
12-30-2016, 11:02 PM
In my quest to reduce the number of different powders in my locker, I've chosen 800X as a substitute for a few other powders when loading mid to upper limit loads in .44Spl, .45ACP, and .45 Colt. It does very well in the .44 Magnum usually giving velocities just above 2400. It's burn rate is more comparable to Blue Dot, Herco, or IMR SR4756, but not nearly as picky. It just works so well in .45ACP it's all I use anymore to load that one, yes, they're upper end loads, but 8gr. under a Hornady 200gr. XTP, or 7gr. under any weight cast boolit seems to do as well as I can shoot these days. Check Ken Waters comments on 800X in his book, "Pet Loads" you might even like it in big bore revolvers and automatics if you give it a try, (I seldom see it listed for most cartridges under .40 though). Oh, and it's one of the lower priced and available powders too.

HangFireW8
12-31-2016, 12:09 AM
Same problem, went to Bass Pro this past week, only the Alliant powders were out of stock, everything else- everything- Win, IMR, etc. was there.

trapper9260
12-31-2016, 09:06 AM
Over the past few years .When I had seen it in the stores I just get what I can at the time and now I have so far, what I need in stock.

SteveS
12-31-2016, 09:07 AM
I'd be inclined to believe Alliant is getting out of the pistol/shotgun powder business. Finding their powder is far more miss than hit for me.

I do see their rifle powders a lot. I don't load for rifle so I don't know if the powder I see is in demand or not but it's there.

We're lucky Hodgdon is really stepping up to the plate.

Ithaca Gunner
12-31-2016, 11:51 AM
I don't know Steve, but shotgun and handgun powders are what they're mostly known for around here. I'm not putting their rifle powders down, I have several recipes using their rifle powders that are just the best I can get from a particular rifle and bullet combination. They make good powders all the way around, but it's their fast burning powders I've used mostly over the years.

Bookworm
12-31-2016, 12:00 PM
I've used a few Alliant powders, but they are always more difficult to get for me. I've pretty much just foregone the Alliant.

The only one I miss is Bullseye, and as soon as I see some Hodgdon Target out there, I will probably just wave goodbye to Alliant powders.

If I can't get them, they may as well not exist.

jmort
12-31-2016, 12:26 PM
For sure Alliant is not getting out of the Powder business. They just sell most everything they produce, fast. There is no Alliant powder that I have not been able to buy at any time. Sometimes it might take a month or so to find it in stock somewhere. Name any Alliant powder and I will post up a source for it within 30 days. Right now I am sitting on Unique, RL7, RL15, Power Pistol, 2400, Red Dot, Blue Dot, and Promo.

andrew375
12-31-2016, 02:48 PM
I hope if you find a replacement for 2400 you will be kind enough to share the information.

Lovex S040 seems to be a pretty close clone. I've been using it a lot in rifle loads with very good results.

aspangler
12-31-2016, 04:10 PM
Start low with Accurate #9 and work up. Side by side on the burn chart. I have found 2-4 tenths grain differance in the two but YMMV.

SteveS
12-31-2016, 04:15 PM
Name any Alliant powder and I will post up a source for it within 30 days.

Well, you might as well go for 2400. There are a lot of guys here who say they haven't seen it in years and they'd probably appreciate the tip on where to get it.

dragon813gt
12-31-2016, 04:30 PM
Well, you might as well go for 2400. There are a lot of guys here who say they haven't seen it in years and they'd probably appreciate the tip on where to get it.

I was able to buy it twice during the shortage. And I don't even use it. It's out there and it can be found.

SteveS
12-31-2016, 06:08 PM
It's true. It exists. A few years ago I started seriously looking, online and local, and finally found some 2400 after a little over a year.

I found Unique and Bullseye after looking twice that long.

Finding a product every year or two leads me to consider that the manufacturer might not be serious anymore.

At the same time, I was able to find Hodgdon and IMR on a regular basis. That leads me to think that Hodgdon might just be a little more serious.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that Alliant pistol powders have been so scarce. It's forced me to branch out and become a more rounded handloader.

jmort
12-31-2016, 06:52 PM
OK
The search is on for 2400

jonp
12-31-2016, 09:09 PM
I bought several pounds of it at the last gun show

375supermag
12-31-2016, 09:45 PM
Hi...
2400 has been available in my area for some time.
Even during the recent shortages it would show up intermittently at one or two local gun shops. Prices fluctuated widely but seem to have returned to pre-shortage levels although the highest priced shops have continued to charge mid-shortage levels. I truly don't know how they sell any when a few miles away the price is right around $19-20 for a 1lb container.

edctexas
12-31-2016, 09:52 PM
2400 and Unique are available in Central Texas. LGS has some but not everyday. Cabelas has nearly everything. I was so surprised the other day. They have a lot of most components. Unlike a month before the election. Just Sayin!
Ed C

WILCO
12-31-2016, 11:06 PM
For sure Alliant is not getting out of the Powder business. They just sell most everything they produce, fast.

Supply and demand. Oldest economic story there is.

WILCO
12-31-2016, 11:07 PM
I emailed, and got a phony response that they're cranking out powder like crazy.

Who said it's a phony response?

WILCO
12-31-2016, 11:08 PM
http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/faq.aspx

Why are your powders so hard to find?
The unprecedented demand for commercial ammunition, powder and other reloading components has exceeded the industry's ability to keep product on the shelves at most retail outlets. In response to this industry-wide issue, we are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business.

WILCO
12-31-2016, 11:09 PM

Where can I find a dealer in my area that carries your products?
Check out our Dealer Locator (http://www.alliantpowder.com/general/dealer_locator.aspx) tool and search by your zip code or city and state.

WILCO
12-31-2016, 11:10 PM
My favorite FAQ:

I'd like to talk to an Alliant Powder representative. When should I call?
We recently launched an improved phone system that ensures you speak with a live agent. Representatives are available to answer your calls between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday. Call Toll Free 800-379-1732.

WILCO
12-31-2016, 11:11 PM
All that info in less than 30 seconds with google fu.

trapper9260
01-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Dose LC use alot of there powders? because for how it looks that when there is a order for so much ammo for the mil. that is when Alliant powder start to not show up much. I know Scheels in Cedar Falls, Iowa Have there powder more then Cabelas in PDC, WI.

jonp
01-01-2017, 07:57 AM
I watched the interview with Chris Hodgdon that was put up. In one part he explained how the powder was produced. Some think that a plant produces, say, 1,000lbs of several powders at a time in a continuous cycle. He said that is not how it works. A plant runs an entire production of a batch of one powder at a time then switches to a different one. If that one powder that was produced does not come around for another production cycle for another month then it's understandable that it would have been sent out to dealers, sold and not be on the shelves until the next run if production is high.

I had not thought of it but the last time I was in a Cabelas I saw the shelf full of powder. VV, AA etc but not much Alliant at all.

I think that after 8yrs of Obama the powder shortage will ease some and we will be able to find it a little easier.

SteveS
01-01-2017, 09:29 AM
This might be the answer as to why it's so hard to find retail. The bulk of it is going for commercial ammo.

I seem to remember in one of the Power Factor interviews with Chris Hodgdon that they service the retail market before the commercial. That would explain a lot as to why some powder is more available than others.

Why are your powders so hard to find?
The unprecedented demand for commercial ammunition, powder and other reloading components has exceeded the industry's ability to keep product on the shelves at most retail outlets. In response to this industry-wide issue, we are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business.

358 Win
01-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Last year I ran a 2400 and AA#9 comparison test in my .357 Magnum handguns and rifles. The exact same charge of both listed powders produced near identical velocities. Accuracy only varied a minor bit between the two listed powders and I used the powder which gave the best accuracyu. Where I live in NE PA, I have not had any difficulty finding Alliant or Accurate powders. My test included all manor of cast bullets suitable for the .357 Magnum from 150 grain to 215 grain. Best accuracy in my tests were with intermediate weight boolets of 165 to 180 grains.

358 Win

HangFireW8
01-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Last year I ran a 2400 and AA#9 comparison test in my .357 Magnum handguns and rifles. The exact same charge of both listed powders produced near identical velocities. Accuracy only varied a minor bit between the two listed powders and I used the powder which gave the best accuracyu. Where I live in NE PA, I have not had any difficulty finding Alliant or Accurate powders. My test included all manor of cast bullets suitable for the .357 Magnum from 150 grain to 215 grain. Best accuracy in my tests were with intermediate weight boolets of 165 to 180 grains.

358 Win
For 357 Magnum, sure. But AA#9 is not a friendly powder for light loads in large cases.

-HF

aspangler
01-01-2017, 04:10 PM
For 357 Magnum, sure. But AA#9 is not a friendly powder for light loads in large cases.

-HF

I have had no trouble with AA#9 and cast in the 8MM for one.

RogerDat
01-01-2017, 04:41 PM
I have found ever more of the scarce powders showing up. H110, 2400, the Dot's, and Varget. But not always in quantity. Or not all in stock at the same time. Makes it hard to put together an online order that supplies "all your needs" in one shot. And instead of 8# jugs might end up with 1# jugs. But at the last gun show I saw 8# of Varget and was tempted but I have 10#'s in 1# jugs and too much to spend right at the holidays.

Blackwater
01-01-2017, 08:10 PM
It took me a long time to realize and believe it, but there's been an AWESOME increase in demand for powder, primers and bullets. The factories ARE churing at an all time high rate. Obama's plan called for the gov't to buy more 9mm and .40 ammo than they could really use, for more and more gov't agencies that are armed, and that took up some of it. The rest is just increased demand due to more and more folks FINALLY waking up and realizing that having and knowing how to use a gun really IS a "good idea" these days. Also, folks who already shot and reloaded were buying up more and more "stuff" against maybe its becoming unobtainable at some uncertain point. So ... demand has FAR more than doubled, and it did it almost overnight.

Add in the fact that anti-business, and anti-gun sentiment and laws made to inhibit those things, make it impossible to erect more factories to produce these commodities, and .... presto! ..... you've got a "component shortage," simply because there's no longer enough to go around to everyone wanting it in the quantities they're wanting it.

Look at the shooting forums on the 'net! They're all growing, and at a fast pace. This ain't because folks are bored with shooting now, or because they'll "do that tomorrow," but because there was a very REAL motivation to get and hoard precious components and ammo and guns, lest one find one's self in a position of having nothing but a silly grin with which to protect ourselves.

Complaining about the powder companies, and putting THEM down is NOT a very appropriate or functional or called for reaction on our part. When someone is doing all they CAN ..... well, obviously they CAN'T do any more, and simply WANTING more doesn't git-r-done. One thing I hope Trump will do is make opening and building new factories, specifically more munitions factories, so we CAN have all the ammo we want. Of course, the companies have to wonder just how long this "necessity buying" will last, and they have no crystal ball in which to see the future of what has become a very willful and flighty people, so ..... we're basically gonna' have to wait and see how it all works out. The wise have long ago stashed enough to survive, at least for a while, and it takes a LOT more than most folks think, to survive an apocalypse. A LOT more! Few are really prepared for it, simply because few have the $$$$$ to spend toward it.

Ain't this "New Millenium" fun now!!!

RogerDat
01-01-2017, 08:30 PM
The powder and other component related manufactures would be foolish to invest in high cost infrastructure to meet current demand with no way of knowing when the market will become saturated.

If an entire batch of production is going out the door and getting sold rapidly and at an advantageous price.... what is the problem again? There is some risk of people finding an alternative powder but with the mass of reloading information for say 2400 they can be pretty sure people looking for load information for a caliber are going to get steered toward one of the "dependable" powders that many have written about. Too many already have pet loads for Red Dot, or Unique, or BE or.... so even if a few switch brands all those pet loads are already published ready to pull in some reloader who goes looking for a new load.

FSR
01-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Yeah I think you are right. I have noticed the return of primers. Not long ago you could not find them anywhere.

Caster1977
01-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Just out of curiosity, how long has Winchester 452-AA been off the market? When I shot IPSC, 5.2 grains was the sweet spot for a 200 grain semi-wadcutter. I still have about a 1/5 of a 3 pound can left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DerekP Houston
01-02-2017, 11:14 AM
OK
The search is on for 2400

Both bass pro shops near me and the one in dallas had it. Of course the price tag was 34.99 per lb....

sig2009
01-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Gun show in PA two weeks ago was fully stocked at all vendors.

MarkP
01-04-2017, 08:59 PM
Our LGS had it for $156 / 8 lbs. LGS told me back in Oct of 2016, Alliant would pay shipping on orders of 2,000 lbs or more, LSG had orders in for more than 2k, however Alliant would call and say they could not ship 2k but could ship 1k and ask if they still wanted the 1k. Therefore prices went up to cover the shipping costs. Powder went up maybe $3 / lb or so as compared to a few years ago. I think they said they went from Sept 2011 to Mid 2013 without any significant Alliant shipments. During that time very small shipments came in just a few pounds at a time.

FLYCUTTER
01-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Try Wideners, they don't have 2400 but they have 35 items by Alliant in stock today. I found PV has raised their prices and Widener has lowered theirs.

mikeingeorgia
01-07-2017, 03:05 AM
The NRA posted on their Facebook page that in 2016, there were almost 28,000,000 background checks conducted. If each check resulted in a sale, and each person only bought 1 50 round pack of ammo that equates to 1,400,000,000 rounds of ammo. That's not counting the numbers of firearms we already had prior to that. That doesn't even account for how many people cast their own. I'll bet if there was an anonymous census type questionnaire of how many rounds people bought or made in a year that it would be quite astounding.

trapper9260
01-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Since 2008 there been alot new gun owners and reloaders for how things been. That did not help.The way it looks more is getting into it now.because for how the past 8 years been and all that been going on.I see that more stuff is showen up now. But not fully like it use to be.Time will tell. Also alot of new ones dose not know what the price of it use to be before all this. So most are willing to pay what is out there instead of looking around for it.

Iowa Fox
01-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Went to the gun show in Cedar Rapids Friday night. Bobs reloading had a full selection of Alliant powders both 1 & 8 pounders. I got 2-1s of Blue Dot. It was 19.05 per #. He was stocked pretty well on all powders, better than I have seen in the last 3 or 4 years.

Shiloh
01-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Gee, Marlin--a replacement for 2400? May it never be!

Absolutely.

Shiloh

smlekid
01-09-2017, 05:52 AM
Just out of curiosity, how long has Winchester 452-AA been off the market? When I shot IPSC, 5.2 grains was the sweet spot for a 200 grain semi-wadcutter. I still have about a 1/5 of a 3 pound can left.

I would guess around the late 80's early 90's replaced by WST

Fordcragar
01-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Whenever I'm in a store that sells gun powder, I always look for some of Alliant's powder (bullseye, Unique or Power Pistol). I almost never see any, if I do, I'll buy some. I've stocked up, but it took a long time to get there.

Caster1977
01-16-2017, 11:57 AM
SMLEKID, I'm sure glad I stored the 452AA and the others in a sealed 20mm ammo can all this time! It still goes bang and I'm not seeing any difference in performance, thank goodness!

dbosman
01-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Load data was in the 1991 guide. I don't have the mid or late 90s guides.

Just out of curiosity, how long has Winchester 452-AA been off the market? W

cheese1566
01-17-2017, 12:09 AM
I just found Unique at Scheels Sporting Goods. Salesman apologized to me when he said it was $21.99 and not the $20 he thought off the top of head when he went to the back room to get it.

I had to look to make sure it was a full pound package and thought it would have been more $$$ considering current prices and I haven't seen it for a loooong time.

i think now I should have gotten two if it was a possible mismarked price!

GhostHawk
01-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Just ordered another 8 lb jug of Red Dot at 154$ plus shipping and hazmat.

With shipping and hazmat its right at 25$ a pound.
Pretty reasonable IMO.

DanishM1Garand
01-17-2017, 09:34 AM
LGS has pounds of Unique in stock.

375supermag
01-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Hi...
I live in southcentral Pennsylvania.

My son had a couple of guns at a local gunshop for some modifications/repairs that he picked up Saturday.
While we were out, we stopped at a couple other shops... just window shopping.

Powder supplies were very good at several shops...Unique, 2400, etc. in good supply...prices were in the $20.99-21.99 range for 1lb containers. 8lb canisters averaged around $125. I did not see any 8lb canisters of 2400, however. Some shops were somewhat higher per pound...those shops have been higher in price since the recent shortages began several years ago. At least two of the shops were asking as much as $34.99 for a pound of 2400 or Unique, as well as several other powders.
Primers remain in good supply at almost every shop...again some of the shops that raised their prices during the recent shortages have not lowered them to pre-panic levels, but most have.

I didn't buy any...pretty well stocked up myself.

frkelly74
01-17-2017, 10:16 AM
In southwestern Michigan try On Target on M43 west of Kalamazoo. They had plenty in August when I was there and I got two pounds of Bullseye. There is also Schantz Supply on M89 on the west side of Otsego. They were running a deal on 8 lb jugs for a killer price but you had to buy $100 in other supplies, I did not see this as a major problem because their primers were priced reasonably and would be easy to get $100 worth of them and not think you were being took.