PDA

View Full Version : Purple Loctite On Scope Mounts

jonp
12-29-2016, 10:24 PM
I've always used blue on the mounts and rings. I ran out so stopped to get some and bought a small 3 pack of purple, blue and red. Ive never seen the purple so used the blue to set the screws for the base on my wifes .243

Anyone tried the purple for this use?

Jr.
12-29-2016, 10:34 PM
I have always used blue I would think that with such small screws you wouldn't want to use anything too stout.

izzyjoe
12-29-2016, 11:04 PM
I always use clear finger nail polish, I don't think i would use blue loctite on scope screws or any thing that small. We use it at work on trucks and heavy equipment, and sometimes it's a bear to remove bolts after blue LT has been used!

Spooksar
12-29-2016, 11:48 PM
If I remember right Purple is used to fill gaps on machinery, it has more holding power then Red. You need a cutting torch to remove it. If you feel the need to use Loctite only use the Blue. The best way to tighten mounts is to clean the threads and use a torque wrench. Ive been a Journeyman Millwright for 40 years and I hate Loctite, it is just a lazy mans way of doing a job

44man
12-30-2016, 04:19 PM
Never use anything on the ring screws. Just the base.
Purple is a gap filler. Bearing filler.

dmdracer
12-30-2016, 05:27 PM
Purple is as Bluster in #5 shared.

My involvement in racing for 40 + years, Loctite would gift whatever product we needed and they shared much info on this.... if you use any, use the purple and small amounts....most use too much !

Yodogsandman
12-30-2016, 08:20 PM
I use any color nail polish that I can sneak off with.

44man
12-31-2016, 10:47 AM
Stuff must be different then what I have. My purple is a gap filler for loose bearing races. Made for machines where the whole bearing spins.
I use red for all screws. Then put torque on the screwdriver and tap with a small hammer.
NEVER ring screws.

frankenfab
12-31-2016, 10:59 AM
I only loc-tite the bases as well.

Uncle Grinch
12-31-2016, 11:04 AM
https://www.grainger.com/category/threadlockers/thread-and-gasket-sealants/adhesives-sealants-and-tape/ecatalog/N-85j

popper
12-31-2016, 11:40 AM
Green used to be the filler type color for bearings, etc. You don't want that for screws.

ole 5 hole group
12-31-2016, 01:11 PM
Post #5 is spot-on. Over the years gone by, I've done my share of snapping off screws held by blue Loctite, then drilling & tapping for scope bases. Heat didn't help one bit on some screws held by blue Loctite. About 10 years or so ago, I came across the purple Loctite, 222MS and that's all I'll ever use relative to firearm and related type screws for the rest of my days.

Any screw 1/4" or smaller that you want to stay put but still break loose with ease - purple Loctite is your friend.

RugerFan
12-31-2016, 04:01 PM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/445105/loctite-222-threadlocker-purple

"Lock those screws in place! Purple Threadlocker (222) is great for use on scope base & ring screws, set screws, calibration screws, meters and gauges."

jonp
12-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Purple from now on it is. Thanks for the answers

jonp
12-31-2016, 09:20 PM
https://www.grainger.com/category/threadlockers/thread-and-gasket-sealants/adhesives-sealants-and-tape/ecatalog/N-85j
I bookmarked that page for future ref. thanks

w5pv
01-01-2017, 12:27 PM
I was also a millwright from 1960 to 1996 and was forced to retire because of an injury but there is a lot of uses for loctite where there is a lot of vibration and yes I have done all of the double nutting,hammering the threads,drilling the nuts and putting taper pins in,roll pins,set screws and other means to keep things tight and in some instances the bolts would break from the heavy vibration.We had these air hammers that was used as vibrators and they would tear up the vessels that they were attached and then some one came up with putting scrapers and air with rotorvalves(air locks) to move the product.we used a lot of locktite help hold thins together.

5Shot
01-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Whatever you do, don't use the Green 290! It is the wicking type, and sounds great, but it will cause misery. It breaks loose really easy, then locks up tight and takes bunch of heat to remove it. We put some on a loose nut and bolt, and after it dried we tried to take them apart. The nut made a 1/4 turn then froze. Using 2 box end wrenches we couldn't get it to budge any further. I threw my samples away.

oldracer
01-01-2017, 10:05 PM
Purple is what comes with the scope mounting kit from Wheeler and it works great for me. I sold my scope kit as the scopes I have now it is not needed but I fudged and kept the Locktite!

Kestrel4k
01-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Wanted to get away from 'Blue' and thought about 'Purple' a few years ago.
Purple = $6 at Home Depot; clear fingernail polish = $1 at the Dollar Store.
Case closed - I can be a cheap ******* sometimes. :D

EDG
01-05-2017, 10:17 PM
There is nothing remotely similar to the locking action of Locktite 222 when you use nail polish. Locktite actually sets up in the absence of air in the threads. Nail polish sits on top and locks nothing in particular. Run a test of both Locktite and nail polish and you will find your money spent on nail polish did not get you much. I have used Loctite in many grades since 1968 and have specified it in many engineering parts list for the assembly of hundreds of thousands of assemblies delivered to the US military. I have also had to direct the disassembly and rework of some equipment and I know how Loctite works. For size #4-40 up to 1/4" fasteners I would always recommend Loctite 222. If you think it is going to be difficult to disassemble use a soldering iron on the screw head.

John 242
01-12-2017, 11:48 PM
Ive been a Journeyman Millwright for 40 years and I hate Loctite, it is just a lazy mans way of doing a job

Is that right? People who use Loctite are lazy?

I've used Loctite to hold barrel liners in place, to hold grip bushings on 1911 frames and tons of other stuff. I didn't realize that meant that I'm lazy. It's amazing the things you can learn on the net.