PDA

View Full Version : Now Savage is jumping on the AR bandwagon

Highway41
12-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Bad enough IMO that Springfield got on the AR train but now Savage is jumping on as well.

https://youtu.be/DOMl4h9Wxk0

NoAngel
12-29-2016, 02:59 PM
I know EVERYONE is making them now but Savage should be fairly nice. They sure make nice barrels for the money.

dragon813gt
12-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Why is it bad that more manufacturers are making them? Competition drives costs down. If you don't want to buy then don't buy. I'm assuming Ruger making them is bad as well!

Texas by God
12-29-2016, 03:12 PM
AR with a Savage barrel? Sign me up. Best, Thomas.

Moonie
12-29-2016, 03:15 PM
Looks to be a side charger, with the charge handle on the left side.

NoAngel
12-29-2016, 03:15 PM
I bet the beat more than half the competition for price. Savage is pretty proficient and manufacturing a quality product for a fair price.

Highway41
12-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Although I am a definite Springfield Armory fan the build up to the release of the Saint was annoying to put it mildly and the reveal was underwhelming. I'm all for competition and free enterprise, but come on, more ARs from companies whose patrons have long been asking for things other than ARs.

Tackleberry41
12-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Yes competition is nice, but there can be to much. EVERYBODY is making ARs now. Even HK who already makes or made really good rifles, had to get in on the AR gravy train. Armalite quit making the AR180, so they could get in on an already crowded AR15 game, be like Ford stopping production of F150 so they can copy the Silverado or Ram. Sig is on it now, like they cant come up with something else. Its become boring, you go into a shop and its just a huge rack of AR15s, with nothing else different. They try to say ours are better than the one next to it, tho you cant see where ANYTHING is different. And when they do do something different, they charge an arm and a leg for putting a different program in the CNC machine.

Now Savage might make a decent rifle, they are well known for their barrels. Question is, will they go cheap or keep the quality and hope people will pay extra for it?

Electric88
12-29-2016, 04:16 PM
I'd rather have a saturated market instead of one that's empty (as a consumer).

I would suspect Savage will do a good job with this rifle. They are in a place where they are known for having good rifles. No reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot.

lefty o
12-30-2016, 05:23 PM
no such thing as too much competition. the more manufacturers, the more the consumer wins. wasnt all that long ago the choices were armalite,bushmaster or colt, the few others mostly made junk. now many make them and there are more options, and better prices on quality than ever before.

B. Lumpkin
12-30-2016, 05:59 PM
I expect to see many of the smaller boutique AR companies go bottom up in the next couple of years.

More competition is good, but Savage is a bit late wouldn't you say? However, they have set themselves apart from the other big manufacturers with the side charging. I'd be willing to give one a try if the price is under $600.00 out the door.

AR movement has slowed down significantly.

hpdrifter
12-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Yes competition is nice, but there can be to much. EVERYBODY is making ARs now. Even HK who already makes or made really good rifles, had to get in on the AR gravy train. Armalite quit making the AR180, so they could get in on an already crowded AR15 game, be like Ford stopping production of F150 so they can copy the Silverado or Ram. Sig is on it now, like they cant come up with something else. Its become boring, you go into a shop and its just a huge rack of AR15s, with nothing else different. They try to say ours are better than the one next to it, tho you cant see where ANYTHING is different. And when they do do something different, they charge an arm and a leg for putting a different program in the CNC machine.

Now Savage might make a decent rifle, they are well known for their barrels. Question is, will they go cheap or keep the quality and hope people will pay extra for it?

amen. I get a hoot out of the gun shows on tv; today we're going to review tne new sup[er whiz bang ar! yaaaawwwwn. Like it's something new.

Let's see a new falling block. I know, I know......they're not driving the market and a barrel with a few moving parts cost 5 times more than these simple semi autos.

Texas by God
12-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Although I am a definite Springfield Armory fan the build up to the release of the Saint was annoying to put it mildly and the reveal was underwhelming. I'm all for competition and free enterprise, but come on, more ARs from companies whose patrons have long been asking for things other than ARs.

Wouldn't a Springfield Armory version of the Mini 14 be cool? Yes we are in an AR glut.

runfiverun
12-30-2016, 09:29 PM
a side charge, no jam it in there even tighter button, flat sided receiver would be very welcome.
I don't know how many here carry their AR's over a couple of miles of rocky terrain.
but not having a big knob jabbing you in the back at each step is awful nice.

poor Armalite making their own design.
I really almost hate my M-15, it just takes all the drama out of range trips.
half resting an out of the box rifle on something and hitting 6x6" plates at 300 yds with open sights makes me feel real bad.

izzyjoe
12-30-2016, 09:48 PM
I'm glad to see them being used in hunting roles more, hope we can brake the bad rap the media has given them! The market is flooded, but theres not much more you can do to one of them. Glad to see savage jump on board, hope they do well with them.

Jack Stanley
12-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Best of luck to them , their stocks on a couple rifles I bought were much less than impressive . Maybe the AR will be better .

Jack

brtelec
12-31-2016, 12:56 PM
Wouldn't a Springfield Armory version of the Mini 14 be cool? Yes we are in an AR glut.

What someone needs to do is the Ruger X-GI they designed, announced and never released. A .308 mini 14. I agree about the Saint release. I was more than disappointed with all the lead in hype only to get another run of the mill Ar-15. Something else that needs to be done is an Ar-15 that will reliably eat pistol ammo at a reasonable price. 9mm, 40 and 45.

B. Lumpkin
12-31-2016, 01:23 PM
a side charge, no jam it in there even tighter button, flat sided receiver would be very welcome.
I don't know how many here carry their AR's over a couple of miles of rocky terrain.
but not having a big knob jabbing you in the back at each step is awful nice.

poor Armalite making their own design.
I really almost hate my M-15, it just takes all the drama out of range trips.
half resting an out of the box rifle on something and hitting 6x6" plates at 300 yds with open sights makes me feel real bad.

The simple fix to the forward assist poking you is to strong/weak side sling it, or sling the rifle cross body so that the side with the bolt release is to your back.

Normally, we carried the rifle at the tactical, so really don't sweat the forward assist.

obssd1958
12-31-2016, 04:49 PM
What someone needs to do is the Ruger X-GI they designed, announced and never released. A .308 mini 14.

I agree 100%!! Although I have a Garand, so .30 cal semi-auto is pretty much covered... :bigsmyl2:

Something else that needs to be done is an Ar-15 that will reliably eat pistol ammo at a reasonable price. 9mm, 40 and 45.

Not an AR15, and I'll probably catch flack for suggesting it, but the Hi-Point carbines are very reasonably priced, and available in all three of those chamberings. I have one chambered in .40 S&W, and it is a blast to shoot! I paid under $200 - used, but in great shape - and it's reliably run every ammo that I have put through it. Brand new, you can find them for @325.00.

dragon813gt
12-31-2016, 06:07 PM
There are more pistol caliber ARs then ever. I want one in 10mm :D

B. Lumpkin
12-31-2016, 06:16 PM
Thureon Defense makes one chambered in 10mm that takes Glock magazines.

Bill*B
12-31-2016, 09:40 PM
I ignored "black rifles" for years, but recently acquired an Eagle M15 ORC. Now I understand why the AR platform is so hot. The accuracy will surprise you! My little "entry level" beater will put 10 into less than 2" at 100 yards, with M855 military surplus ammo. No good for cast, but fun.

brtelec
12-31-2016, 10:57 PM
Thureon Defense makes one chambered in 10mm that takes Glock magazines.

This exactly my point about reasonably priced. These things are a grand stripped. The 10mm is 1300.00 +

obssd1958
12-31-2016, 11:40 PM
A friend and I had a discussion earlier today about pricing on ARs. He's looking at a Colt that a co-worker insists is worth 7-800, but a local SG store is selling the same rifle for $600.
Neither of us can figure out why the pricing varies so greatly on a platform that is pretty much wrung out. And why on earth does a pistol cartridge version command a higher price than the rifle caliber version??
Inquiring minds want to know...

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-01-2017, 12:13 AM
they are about eight years too late to the dance...

Nrut
01-01-2017, 01:12 AM
Savage musta' thought clinton was going to win the election..
Hope they can sell enough units to pay for their set-up and tooling..

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2017, 08:00 AM
what the market really needs is pistol caliber ars that don't cost a grand. You can buy a 5.56 right now for a bit over 400 bucks. Only pistol caliber ones are rock rivers and Olympics and there over a grand. If you want to talk what ruger needs to do its to bring back there old 9mm and 40 carbines. Theyd sell like hotcakes today at a 500 dollar price point. Bottom line is we have enough 5.56 ars on the market. Prices are tanked because of it. Good for us but nows the time that these manufactures need to spread there wings and come up with something different then just another 5.56 ar15
What someone needs to do is the Ruger X-GI they designed, announced and never released. A .308 mini 14. I agree about the Saint release. I was more than disappointed with all the lead in hype only to get another run of the mill Ar-15. Something else that needs to be done is an Ar-15 that will reliably eat pistol ammo at a reasonable price. 9mm, 40 and 45.

dragon813gt
01-01-2017, 10:05 AM
This exactly my point about reasonably priced. These things are a grand stripped. The 10mm is 1300.00 +

The basic version is $1k. But overall that's way to expensive. It you time it right you can get blemished uppers and lowers from PSA. Will cost right around $700 for a PC AR that excepts Glock mags. I'm willing to wait until prices come down. This is one area where there is limited availability and a good bit of money can be made.

B. Lumpkin
01-01-2017, 10:50 AM
I didn't find $1,000 to be unreasonable for the Thureon guns.

mcdaniel.mac
01-01-2017, 11:40 AM
what the market really needs is pistol caliber ars that don't cost a grand. You can buy a 5.56 right now for a bit over 400 bucks. Only pistol caliber ones are rock rivers and Olympics and there over a grand. If you want to talk what ruger needs to do its to bring back there old 9mm and 40 carbines. Theyd sell like hotcakes today at a 500 dollar price point. Bottom line is we have enough 5.56 ars on the market. Prices are tanked because of it. Good for us but nows the time that these manufactures need to spread there wings and come up with something different then just another 5.56 ar15

If you roll your own you can come in under 1k easy. I have a GPI colt lower that cost about $800 when fully built, mostly because I used nicer furniture, or you could order the PSA AR9 to use either Glock or Colt mags. Their complete AR9 rifle lower is under $300, and complete AR9 uppers range from $400 up.

If you don't mind a not-quite-AR then take a look at the TNW Aero rifles. Side-charging, still breaks down into upper and lower, barrel is easy to chance for caliber conversions, and takes AR stocks and Glock magazines.

Blowback guns take a bit of a beating, so manufacturers can't get away with polymer lowers and cheap parts the way you can with an AR. You're also having to translate a gun built for a gas-operated locking bolt into a Blowback action, which often means using spacers or in the cast of most AR9 lowers, using custom billet lowers.

dragon813gt
01-01-2017, 11:46 AM
PSA is the cheapest option by far. In stock right now cost is $720 plus shipping. There are also more options than RRA and Olympic when it comes to pistol caliber. I know there was a manufacturer that made a gas operated one but the name is escaping me at the moment. I expect to see more expansion into this segment.

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2017, 12:57 PM
problem I have is I'm looking for a 40 sw. I already have a cmmg 9mm ar15. Great gun but it wasn't cheap either. I just cant see why they can make a 500 dollar or even less ar15 in 5.56 and want twice as much for one in a pistol cartridge that's a simple blowback action. Why can someone make a 500 dollar ar15 in 40 and 45!!!!! I still scratch my head as to why ruger doesn't make another run of pc9s and pc40s. They were very reliable little rifles. Redesigned to run a high capacity mag or made for glock mags I think they sell a truck load of them. Id be in line for one!
PSA is the cheapest option by far. In stock right now cost is $720 plus shipping. There are also more options than RRA and Olympic when it comes to pistol caliber. I know there was a manufacturer that made a gas operated one but the name is escaping me at the moment. I expect to see more expansion into this segment.

dragon813gt
01-01-2017, 02:10 PM
I agree w/ everything you said. The reason for the cost is because there is little competition and people pay it. I like PCCs in general and the AR is pretty much the best platform for a 10mm version. I can always buy a Sig MPX or CZ Scorpion EVO 3 if I wanted a PCC in 9mm. The Scorpion is on my list if they ever release more 922R kits. It would make the perfect 9mm SBR IMO.