PDA

View Full Version : ? about a roller

6.5 mike
12-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Was in Va for turkey day, when the gal's went shopping on black fri SIL & I went to a LGS he knows about, found a s/c brass mold with handles for $20. It's 40 cal 180 gr, dead ringer for one of the older Lyman 38-40's. No makers marks any where on it,
but drops a nice rn/fp boolit.
Last mon we went back, looking at the used long rack found a roller marked $199.99. Asked the fellow at the counter if this was right, told me "that's It", needless to say it followed me home. Yesterday I had a chance to start cleaning it up. It has a 26'' round bbl, straight grip butt, schabel fore arm, best part is it's chambered for 30 US. Slugged it today 0.302/0.3075, still digging the powder fouling out.
I'm wondering if this is a #5. I don't have a lot of info bout rollers, but did see a post from John Taylor saying the fore arm was recessed into the front of the receiver, this one is. The one book I have lists some points about the #5's that this old timer has. The fore arm, butt stock, butt plate, & trigger plate have matching #, 5-17. It's d&t'ed for a tang sight with 2" spacing.
Just wondering what I've found, lol. Sorry guys, still to dumb to do pic's.

MaLar
12-29-2016, 01:44 PM
Score on your part wish I could see it.

John Taylor
12-29-2016, 04:36 PM
30-40? I have heard that some of the later ones were chambered in 30-03 which would be a little high pressure for a #5. See if there is a patent date on the tang, if it is 1897 or later it was most likely designed for smokeless powder.

6.5 mike
12-30-2016, 03:52 PM
The last patent date is 1874, recon it's a b/p action. The book I have is the 24th edition of the firearms catalog, "No 5 sporting or target 30-30, 303 brit, 7m/m, 30 us, 32-40, 32 us, & 38-55", for calibers. The marking on the bbl are "Remington Arms Co Ilion NY UHA & on the bottom 30 US. Did find some color case hardening under the plate for the pins & bottom of the top tang. BTW, wiki lists the same cals.
What's a 32 US ???

marlinman93
12-30-2016, 10:01 PM
According to Roy Marcot's book on the Remington Rolling Block rifles, those marked ".30 US" are .30-40 Krag. I think you got a very unusual, and special Rolling Block! Not to mention a huge bargain if it's unmessed with!
Yes, it should be a #5 Sporter!

samari46
12-30-2016, 11:57 PM
Could be wrong but check were the buttstock where the hand grips it fits into a mortise on the back of the receiver. If no mortise and the back of the receiver is flat could very well be a #1 BP action. The #5 actions were the strongest and latest of the large actioned rolling blocks. Frank

texasnative46
12-31-2016, 12:19 AM
6.5 mike,

Surely sounds like a #5 Sporting RRB to me & in .30-40 Krag. = LUCKY DOG, LUCKY DOG are you.

yours, tex

6.5 mike
12-31-2016, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys, Yes the butt stock does mortise into the back of the receiver. I found some pics that showed the 1897, 1902, & 1910 receivers, this ones a 1897 by the pics. That may be why it has the older patent dates, I'm guessing. I found some light punch marks on the sides of the upper & lower tangs, also the forearm hanger, two rows of 3 that may be assy marks while I was doing some cleaning today, figured this is a good thing. Did find some jacket fouling while working on the bbl, so somebody has shot this one with the BAD bullets.
The gun really isn't in to bad of shape, normal wear, dings, & nicks from use, jury is still out on the bbl but I've learned enough ways to solve these hiccups here. Stripped the old lacquer finish off this morning, wood is solid & not badly dinged so should finish good, get out the True oil, lol.

marlinman93
01-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Sure wish we could see a few pictures of it! I get my granddaughter to help when computer stuff gets too advanced for me! ;)

6.5 mike
01-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Some times just finding my e-mail is to much for me, LOL. Did a little sanding on it today, looks like there may be a bit of figure on the butt & like most old timers the 2 quarts of 30 wt used to wipe it down blackened around the tang, but a lot of it came off. Rain here next couple of days so I'll keep plugging away on the bbl & stocks. Do have some pp'ed lee 185's to start with, then go from there. Glad to see Graf's has new brass, use w-w for my DCM '98, & r-p for the hi-wall.

marlinman93
01-02-2017, 11:54 AM
I use acetone and whiting powder mixed to a slurry, and applied to the dark oil soaked stock areas. It sucks the oil right out, and saves a lot of over sanding to remove dark stains. Whiting compound can be found at most craft stores or places that sell stained glass supplies. They use it for getting oil off the lead prior to soldering. I pay $8 a pound locally, and that pound goes a long way!
It will also suck dark wood stain off, so if one doesn't want to re-stain the stocks, it might not be best for their job.

6.5 mike
01-02-2017, 02:40 PM
I've used corn starch before if it's not real bad, have to do it a couple times. Started sanding yesterday with fine paper, went to x-fine today & pretty much all it needed. Finished up with 4/0 steel wool. Now can see a bit of fiddleback on the butt in places, fore arm is tight grained but not much figure. It does have the tip inlet, been redone just NOT to well. Have to see what's in the shed, I do have some nice pieces of black walnut out there. Looked at a front sling band for a #1 on Brownell's site, one will work to replace the front sling stud with some help.
Lots of jacket fouling so far today,bout to run out of patches, lol.

samari46
01-03-2017, 12:17 AM
Both Lowes and Home depot sell the whiting and acetone. if you decide on using wood bleach do it outside. Don't remember the brand but it was a two part mix that reacted with the grease in the wood. Got very hot and bubbled like boiling water. Did this outside and dumped the plastic tub on the grass and hit with the hose. Frank

marlinman93
01-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Both Lowes and Home depot sell the whiting and acetone. Frank

Checked my local Lowes and Home depot, and neither has whiting compound. Also went online to both, and neither lists it.

6.5 mike
01-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Never tried bleach don't like the smell. Couldn't stand it, had to put it back together, sure does look a whole lot better. Trigger is way lighter now, breach block snaps shut with a noticeable click. Now if I could just find the stain & filler I'd be set. I do have bottle of Chestnut Ridge military stain, may use that.
Doc one31 had sent me a veneer site a few years back, always thought it was for roller, looks real good on it. Hole spacing is short so will make an adapter plate to mount it. Don't want to d&t any more holes.
This has been one of the most fun projects I've taken on, from stumbling into it, & all the info & help here. THANKS guys.

marlinman93
01-03-2017, 05:14 PM
A really fine trigger can be done by simply changing the trigger return spring out. I make replacements from .045" piano wire, and that one change can make a Rolling Block go from 8 lbs. to under 3 lbs. If you don't have access to piano wire, Ken Womack at Rolling Block parts sells the piano wire springs already bent up and ready to drop in. $15.
http://www.rollingblockparts.com/no-1.html

samari46
01-04-2017, 01:20 AM
Last box of whiting I got at Lowes was in the paint department. Gonna make a run soon. Lamp fixture above the dining room table uses those silly pigtailed lamps and room is also lousy to read in. Overkill but gonna use a 4' flourescent fixture too old to be stumbling around in the dark. Frank

Boz330
01-04-2017, 10:07 AM
A really fine trigger can be done by simply changing the trigger return spring out. I make replacements from .045" piano wire, and that one change can make a Rolling Block go from 8 lbs. to under 3 lbs. If you don't have access to piano wire, Ken Womack at Rolling Block parts sells the piano wire springs already bent up and ready to drop in. $15.
http://www.rollingblockparts.com/no-1.html

A second on the rolling block parts spring. I have one of the Swedish RBs and it is used for hunting and that spring is right at 3lb. Before it felt like trying to break a 2X4.

Bob

marlinman93
01-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Last box of whiting I got at Lowes was in the paint department. Gonna make a run soon. Lamp fixture above the dining room table uses those silly pigtailed lamps and room is also lousy to read in. Overkill but gonna use a 4' flourescent fixture too old to be stumbling around in the dark. Frank

Off topic, but take a look at what Home Depot has in an LED fixture Frank! I recently remodeled the kitchen and dining room here, and wanted to upgrade the kitchen lighting. Removed a flushed in 4 tube x 32w. ea. T8 fluorescent fixture, and replaced it with a 43w. LED fixture. Beautiful large oval fixture, with brushed stainless trim that puts out a ton more light! Not only 1/3 the wattage, but LED's will go 20 years with no maintenance if you burn them 8 hrs. a day 7 days a week!

texasnative46
01-05-2017, 02:06 AM
Boz330,

LUCKY YOU to have found a Swedish RB. - Is it the military model rifled-musket?
(I have a Danish M1867/93 in 11.7x56mm that I wouldn't take love or $$$ for.)

yours, tex

Boz330
01-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Boz330,

LUCKY YOU to have found a Swedish RB. - Is it the military model rifled-musket?
(I have a Danish M1867/93 in 11.7x56mm that I wouldn't take love or $$$ for.)

yours, tex

It was a converted 8MM, originally made in 1871. It shot really well in the 8MM but I had other plans for the action. If it had been in military configuration I would have left it as is.
Got it from Kebco. I wanted the 12MM version but when I sent my order they were gone, after only 2 days in stock. He called me and said he had an one 8MM but the tang had been welded. He gave it to me for the 12MM price ($225). Here is the final result.

Bob

marlinman93
01-05-2017, 01:49 PM
I have a Danish Rolling Block barreled action sitting here waiting for me to get to it. Pretty nice gun, with a great bore, and a 35" military barrel. Considered using the 11.7 Danish with .45-70 brass, and a .464" bullet, but I think I'll swap a Green Mountain tapered octagon on it, and make it a .40-65 instead.
Have another complete .43 Spanish Roller, but giving that one to my son in law to play with.

Chill Wills
01-05-2017, 02:07 PM
It was a converted 8MM, originally made in 1871. It shot really well in the 8MM but I had other plans for the action. If it had been in military configuration I would have left it as is.
Got it from Kebco. I wanted the 12MM version but when I sent my order they were gone, after only 2 days in stock. He called me and said he had an one 8MM but the tang had been welded. He gave it to me for the 12MM price ($225). Here is the final result.

Bob

Nice Bob! Did you do the wood too?

6.5 mike
01-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Nice wood Boz, still haven't loaded the heavy 38-55's you sent me with the move & all way to many things got set back. Odd thing, 40-65 was my choice if this had been a b/p receiver.

flint45
01-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Wow sounds like you got a great deal onthat roller would love to find one like that myself!

MarkP
01-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Outstanding Price!

Drm50
01-05-2017, 11:15 PM
A few years ago I had a RB, 30/40 carbine. Action was nickeled, on top of action was small Anchor type Naval stamp. The guy I traded it to, said that it had come from a private naval
cadet school up in New England. I don't know if this was true, but he cut me a deal I couldn't
refuse. Later I saw a similar rifle at show, it was a 8mm Krag, marked as Naval Cadet Rifle. Made
me wonder if that was what I had, cal wasn't marked and I never shot it. Just took the auctions
tag that it was 30us when I bought it.

texasnative46
01-06-2017, 03:33 AM
Bos330,

I truly LIKE your RB carbine. = I have a particular fondness for the old .30-40 Krag cartridge (COL Roosevelt's Rough Riders trained here in The Alamo City.) & like a GCCB .30.40 equivalent load for .300 Savage & all the other calibers up to & including .30-06.
(A childhood friend is now a "home missionary" for our church's congregation in North Star, Alaska & he often hunts caribou, moose & other big game with a .30-40 Krag Model of 1892 "Long Rifle" in 1892/86 "Service Dress". - The rifle bears marks indicating Philippine War service.)

The old S-A load of 230 grains at about 2000FPS is A KILLER, despite its modest paper ballistics, on all sorts of game including such unlikely beasts as Tiger, African Lion & Leopard.

Note: I keep "watching the auctions" & gun-shows for a RM in 12.7x44mm Swedish & in .30-40 Krag.

yours, tex

Boz330
01-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Nice Bob! Did you do the wood too?

I fitted and finished the wood which came from Treebone. The hardest thing was fitting that curved steel butt plate, probably took me 16+ hours to get it right. Normally I don't have that kind of patience. For you 40-65 aficionados that is the caliber of this rifle. I built it as a deer rifle and have taken several with it and home made BP. It is a fun rifle to shoot and not abusive to the shoulder.
I got this about 10 years ago when there were quite a few coming into the country through Kebco. He sent out an e-mail to his waiting list on Mon afternoon and I responded Wed morning and this was literally the last one he had left. The 12.7s were $225 and the 8MM were $250. He said one guy took 12 of them. He never said how many total that he got in but I never got another e-mail of a shipment after that.

Bob

6.5 mike
01-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Got the stain on today, see how it looks in the morning & go from there. Put the sights back on, after cleaning had to shim under the rear sight . Guess the goop was all that was holding in place,lol. With snow coming may be a while before I get any loads done for this one, just my luck.

Texas by God
01-07-2017, 12:57 PM
I always wanted a Lone Star rolling block sporter in .30 US. Or a New York State Guard .50-70. So simple they are elegant.

samari46
01-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Marlinman, thanks for the tip regarding the led lighting fixture. I have a 4 foot floursecent fixture in the kitchen and it puts out a lot of light. The one in the dining room has those little pig tail type lamps. Lousy lighting. the wife looked at me like I lost my marbles when I said I was going to replace the dining room one. I like a lot of light especially when reading. Frank

Yellowhouse
01-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Brownells has what you need. Marcots book on Rolling Sporters shows examples of the number 5. Don't get crazy with the sandpaper!

6.5 mike
01-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Stain came out real good. Nice even finish, may start the Tru-oil in the morning. 2 maybe 3 coats rubbed out between 1st & 2nd & see how it looks. Drying room , attic, is a bit COLD right now so this will wait, lol.
Got a 316299 from NOE awhile back for the Rem 03, checking my notes showed it would work in my 03a3, Krag carbine, & maybe hi-wall. No go I the hi-wall, nose to fat, but is going to be ok in the roller also. Didn't have it when I ordered the mold. Another case of pure blind luck.

oldremguy
01-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Here are some photos of my rolling block carbine in 30-40 Krag.

marlinman93
01-08-2017, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=6.5 mike;3903599]Stain came out real good. Nice even finish, may start the Tru-oil in the morning. QUOTE]

Ever try Minn Wax Wipe On Poly? An amazing product that is not only easy to use, but never reacts badly with any remaining finish that's on the wood. I started using it when I couldn't get Laurel Mountain permalyn sealer easily, and I love it. It's the only product I use now for new or refinish. It's much like an oil finish, as it can be easily touched up if you ever need to repair the finish. Comes in satin or gloss.

6.5 mike
01-09-2017, 02:24 PM
93, I have not tried it yet, but ever thing I've read has been good. To bad Lowe's is less the 3 miles from house, lol. Ordered a Marbles tang sight from AZ just now Think this well be a better choice for the roller. May have to go get the rest of the loading stuff from the shop when I can, press & dies already inside. Getting antsy to shoot it.
Boz, your killing me with the wood pics.

Boz330
01-09-2017, 03:18 PM
93, I have not tried it yet, but ever thing I've read has been good. To bad Lowe's is less the 3 miles from house, lol. Ordered a Marbles tang sight from AZ just now Think this well be a better choice for the roller. May have to go get the rest of the loading stuff from the shop when I can, press & dies already inside. Getting antsy to shoot it.
Boz, your killing me with the wood pics.

Mike, I put a Marbles on that roller for hunting but to be honest it is a hunk of junk. I've gotten 2 Marbles sights and had to shim both of them to make them usable. The first one I sent back because of the back and forth and side to side slop in it. The one I got back wasn't a bit better and the second one I just went ahead and shimmed it to remove the slop. I would look at one of the Lyman's or replicas of the Lyman if I get another. C-sharps sells one that has windage adjustment I just don't know whether it will work on a roller. Good luck.

Bob

Chill Wills
01-09-2017, 08:09 PM
The MVA copy of a Marbles is first rate and the price is not out of line for 'like old time USA made goods'.

Boz330
01-10-2017, 08:59 AM
The MVA copy of a Marbles is first rate and the price is not out of line for 'like old time USA made goods'.

Thanks Mike, good to know. I didn't realize they made a copy. Just sent my scope back to them yesterday to have it gone over, I might have to have one added to the bill.
I have a Marbles tang sight from the 1800s on a original 92 in 38-40 and it is a piece of quality equipment, not so much now days. I got one of the sights with the interchangeable staffs because the drop on the tang was so steep. That thing was way to sloppy even for a hunting gun.

Bob

6.5 mike
01-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up Boz. I'll see what the sight does when it gets here. To much ice & snow to go back to the shop today, try again tomorrow. Jacket fouling slowing down, maybe hope yet. Barrel is pitted some, do have some foam cleaner if that's what it takes. Just have to keep at it. Course that's part of the fun.

6.5 mike
01-18-2017, 02:53 PM
Had a chance to get back to the roller today, 1st coat of tru-oil is on, got the screws that were buggered up dressed & blued. Have 65 lee 200 gr pp'ed to help clean out the bbl. Wore out 1 brush but pitting seams to be more in the fouling build up, bbl now looks a lot smoother then when I started. Made a dummy for my '98 Krag using a pb 316299 sized to 0.315, got lucky as it fits the roller also, just kisses the riflings but still fully closes. And found a range not all that far from the house.

Boz330
01-19-2017, 09:35 AM
For jacket fowling make up an electronic bore cleaner. I built one years ago and it works wonders on Milsurp guns.

Bob

6.5 mike
01-19-2017, 02:35 PM
May have to do that. The brush I wore out I've been using for a looooong time.

Boz330
01-20-2017, 10:06 AM
They really work well with no elbow grease involved.

Bob

6.5 mike
01-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Brass & sight showed up Friday. Sight mounted well, tight with no play at all. Brass was very uniform in spec's, easiest to work the flash holes I've seen in awhile. Stocks about done, just need to load some & away to the range, when the rain quits.

6.5 mike
02-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Finished up my loading room in the attic & worked up the Graf's brass. 8 grs of Unique behind a lee 200 gr pp'ed I already had wrapped. Boolits sized to 0.312 fit the necks without having to size the brass, this is really nice brass to work with. Looks like the wind & rain will be gone Tuesday, can't hardly wait to bang a few in the roller. And the .260 & another 7 m/m. Garand will be next.

6.5 mike
02-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Made it to the range yesterday, windy & dry. Load shot ok, no problems with primers or extraction, wasn't sure how it would handle. PP'ed did remove some more of the fouling so the rest of them will help out. Only shot 20 out of the 50 I had loaded. Barrel sights shoot low, tang shoot high, may build up the front to adjust for tang sight
Fired case ID is 0.313, smaller then I thought it would be. NOE 316299 will be next for it, after I cast some more, lol.