PDA

View Full Version : RCBS made collet puller problem right

Hardcast416taylor
12-29-2016, 12:53 PM
I had come into a fairly large amount of both .44 mag. and .45 LC ammo loaded with jacketed bullets, nearly 600 rounds. Not knowing the powder charge and seeing as I shot little `J` stuff any more I set out to break them down. I ordered the .44 and .45 RCBS collet pullers from Midway on a order before Christmas. The order came on the 21st as they said it would so I started to pull bullets. I went thru the several 100 .44 shells with no problem till I tried the LC ammo. The collet wouldn`t clamp onto the jacket. I tried half a dozen shells with the same result. I called RCBS to ask what I was doing wrong. They called me back almost 5 hrs. later to say they think I had an old stock collet. They had recieved enough queries like mine that they have re-worked the .45 collet. The older model was primarily designed for RIFLE diameter bullets and not pistol. The new re-work will clamp down better for .451 bullets. They are sending me a new re-work for free! Do you wonder why most of my equipment is made by RCBS?Robert

HangFireW8
12-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Great support as always from RCBS. It goes to show that .007" makes a big difference (.451 handgun vs .458 rifle).

-HF

TNsailorman
12-31-2016, 02:00 PM
I expect nothing less from RCBS. They have replaced a couple of pieces for me and even though I told them it was my fault they were damaged, they would not let me pay for the replacements. I have been dealing with them since the early 70's and I keep going back---for a good reason. james

slim1836
12-31-2016, 04:15 PM
FYI, I believe that puller will not work on cast boolits, I think it says so on the package. I realize you pulled jacketed ones, however, cast is another story.

Slim

Pee Wee
12-31-2016, 04:33 PM
You can't beat RCBS Warranty and replacement. This is why I go with RCBS and Dillon equipment.

rcslotcar
01-01-2017, 08:00 PM
I've been using RCBS since 1973.

georgerkahn
01-01-2017, 08:54 PM
RE RCBS, their customer SUPPORT has made them my #1 supplier in recent years!

RE bullet pulling difficulty, I have often experienced same challenge. What seems to work 99% of the time for me is to seat the bullet in the case you wish to break down maybe 1/32" deeper than it is. Yes -- this is a "no-no" operation, which you should be aware of risk with live primer, powder, and bullet in case. Be smart! But, what *I* do is to use a seating die to, as stated, seat the bullet maybe 1/32" deeper. This seems to break the "seal" which appears to have bullet "glued" to case. (As a matter of fact, on some military rounds a varnish is in fact used to make this seal!)
Anyhoos -- after the seal is broken, the RCBS collet puller will readily pull the bullet out without even a mark on it!
Good luck!
geo

Tedly
01-01-2017, 09:28 PM
haven't paid for a part or repair since I got the stuff in 1983 ?