PDA

View Full Version : New NOE Sc311-165pb

shootsblanks
12-29-2016, 11:56 AM
I just recieved my aluminum plain base noe sc311-165 5 cavity mold, my other 3 molds are lee,
With a set of noe handles, sprue plate lube and shipping it cost $220 dollars with the current canadian/us exchange rate.

I likely wont be buying another lee unless the canadian dollar gets really bad, and i need a mold for another caliber but dont want to wait for it to improve (my 44 mag carbine i have on layaway will be rescued when our dollar is forcasted to be worth .65usd for example). they cast fine bullets but holy quality batman, the phrase "not even the same ballpark" come to mind

I cleaned and preppared the mold as per the instructions and ran it through several heating and cooling cycles using my powder coating oven to control the exact temp. When i was on my last heating cycle i got my ingots ready.

I fired up the coleman stove and got to 20lbs of lead melting. It was a toasty -10° celcius (google says thats 14° in freedom units?) outside but it was warm near the stove, once my mold was ready, the pot was hot and i was excited to get started.
In about an hour i dropped 14.3lbs of bullets, i didnt count but math tells me that is roughly 600 bullets, my lee 2 cavity only gives me 250 in the same time span.
No bullets sticking in cavities, just piles of bullets pouring onto the towel, although i had some malformed and improperly filled that was my fualt, my ladle is good for 3 cavities but sometimes i would try for the 4th and it just wouldnt work out, in the end not more than 20 went back to be melted when i sorted them.

Overall the cavities all seemed to drop very consistant bullets, there was no variation in size, at least not that i could measure, all cavities dropped at .3115 with my alloy and my scale indicated 166.7 grains +/- .2gr.
I loaded some dummy shells trimmed to 2.019 and seating into the crimp groove, and while the round chambers easily it just slightly engraves on the rifling in both of my winchester model 94s,
my "beater" 94 has a tight chamber and no throat which from what i have learned here is standered, but the bore slugs at .3095, so i will be using these bullets unsized unless i feel the need to powdercoat and push to higher velocity, however if i can push this bullet along at close to 1600fps with tumble lube i wont bother with pc to save time.

shootsblanks
12-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Forgot pictures

waco
12-29-2016, 02:59 PM
I have the same NOE mold only mine is a GC design. It works well in my Savage 340 30-30

shootsblanks
12-29-2016, 03:36 PM
I have been looking for a 340 for a few months now actually! My lgs had one on the used rack for $325, i went home to do some research about it and when i stopped in the next day it was gone,

This is my first serious mold, i had some issues finding details about this one specifically which is part of the reason i made this thread, i dont hate lee and its great if your dipping your toes in but i should have got this mold when i decided to stick with casting, instead of 3 more lee molds, i am going to do a batch of powder coated tonight or tomorrow and post how that turns out at least with regards to feeding in a tight-ish rifle.

waco
12-29-2016, 06:27 PM
What do the nose of yours measure? Mine are on the big side. .303"-.304"

shootsblanks
12-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Mine are .304 at the step just ahead of the front driving band and doesnt go below .300 untill allmost half way to the meplat if that discription makes sense

waco
12-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Yep. Sounds about like mine. You might have troubles chambering them is some rifles. My 340 like it though!

shootsblanks
12-29-2016, 09:58 PM
My main concern is how big they will be when powder coating, so i coated a batch tonight and made a handfull of dummy shells, worked like a charm! I was shocked

mike69
12-29-2016, 10:39 PM
That mold was my first rifle boolit mold. Just getting into casting for my rifles it works good in my win 94 30-30 got the job done on a doe shot with it. Mine is gas checked loaded it in a 15 inch encore 30-06 pistol was getting good groups at 50 yards and hitting 4 and 6 inch steel targets at 100 yards. Going to try some more loads with it this spring.

Shuz
01-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Forgot pictures

I use a bottom drop RCBS Pro-Melt to fill all my 5C NOE 311-165 cavities at one time!

Morgan61
01-01-2017, 11:41 AM
I have 2 of those same molds with a gas check design. One has normal lube grooves, the other mold has tumble lube grooves and both molds drop bullets with .304" nose diameters.