PDA

View Full Version : Proof testing a reproduction Springfield smoothbore with back story.

waarp8nt
12-28-2016, 08:30 PM

Many years ago, when he was 15 years old, my friend bought a New Reproduction Springfield Musket with the idea of doing some Civil War Reenactments. He joined a group of reenactors base out of Charleston, IL. His group consisted of mostly Eastern Illinois college students, a High School history teacher and a few random folks. To be "Historically Correct" they had him buy a 69 caliber flintlock Springfield Musket and it was to be converted to percussion cap by a local gunsmith. The gunsmith had supposedly performed the conversion a number of times and his fellow reenactors were allegedly happy with his work. To make a rather long story somewhat shorter he got the musket back, unfinished only after law enforcement got involved.

The work that was finished includes the frizzen removed, a shoulder silver soldered on to hold the nipple and what appeared to be JB weld on the flash hole and gummed up into a #11 nipple.

It the time we decided it to be unsafe and to be honest we felt there to little if nothing to lose, so we finished the repairs ourselves. I removed all JB weld. Tapped the flash hole and installed a screw with a tack weld from a mig welder to hold it (basically melted the screw to the barrel). We ordered a musket nipple and tapped it to fit. I am satisfied with the work we done, however I'm apprehensive about the silver solder since the rest of the work was so poor.

Again, all of this happened many years ago and to be honest it's has been a wall hanger since. He worked hard doing roofs during the summer to pay for the rifle and some gear. He would like to be able to share shooting it with his family. Any advice? Proof test? Start with 60 grains and a round ball? Leave it to "reenactor loads" or just return it to the wall?

***I forgot...my friend and the musket can be seen marching in the beginning of the movie "Glory" along with a number of other locals including the History teacher.***

Gtek
12-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Would you load it and hand it to one of your children? Even after the how many shots it has successfully fired, when is THE one? I may be wrong, but looking at picture it appears breech area was cut into and a block silver soldered into place? I can understand and feel the sentiment of your situation, but--------------------.

waarp8nt
12-28-2016, 10:28 PM
Would you load it and hand it to one of your children? Even after the how many shots it has successfully fired, when is THE one? I may be wrong, but looking at picture it appears breech area was cut into and a block silver soldered into place? I can understand and feel the sentiment of your situation, but--------------------.

That's how it appears to me and I do not disagree with you.

johnson1942
12-28-2016, 11:08 PM
why would anyone do something like that and call them selves a gun smith? that thing would scare me to ever uses it. hang it on the wall and plug the nipple.

waarp8nt
12-28-2016, 11:35 PM
why would anyone do something like that and call them selves a gun smith? that thing would scare me to ever uses it. hang it on the wall and plug the nipple.

That's what I told him hang it on the wall and view it from a distance. That's where it's been for the last 25 years or so. One heck of a difference between a speck of powder & a wad of the reenactor and a full load.

Between my double post and intermittent Internet service I may have missed part of the point. He asked me to post in hopes of getting a bite on a smithy who could salvage the gun. Personally I think it would take a percussion barrel, either new or from a donor musket.

bob208
12-29-2016, 12:15 AM
there are several ways to convert it. but none have been tried yet. at one time some one made breach sections to convert them you could try to find one or a bad barrel to take the breach from.

Col4570
12-29-2016, 04:58 AM
It is not safe,I would cut off the botched section and fit a Breach Plug Threaded into the Barrel or convert it back to Flintlock with a similar Breach Plug.Double Charge it,both Black Powder and Ball.Fire it using a string from a distance whilst hiding behind a wall.You should be good for 65 grains and a Patched Ball after the double Charge.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-29-2016, 07:16 AM
It is not safe,I would cut off the botched section and fit a Breach Plug Threaded into the Barrel or convert it back to Flintlock with a similar Breach Plug.Double Charge it,both Black Powder and Ball.Fire it using a string from a distance whilst hiding behind a wall.You should be good for 65 grains and a Patched Ball after the double Charge.

Yes, a breech plug, with integral nipple bolster if it is to stay percussion, is the answer. It may mean a rethreading job, but there is an excellent selection of investment cast plugs from www.trackofthewolf.com (http://www.trackofthewolf.com) , and they will do the threading for you.

It is possible that the man who did the silver soldering either removed or burned off the oil from the inside of the barrel, and it has rusted since then. So it could save you postage if you can get the original plug out for a good look. If the barrel is in bad condition, a rifled bore liner from the same source is a possibility.

bubba.50
12-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Numrich Arms used to sell barrel/breech assemblies for several of the older muskets to replace ones in shot out or buggered up condition. their site has become so befuddled, confusing & contorted a simpleton like myself can no longer navigate it to see if they still offer them.

waarp8nt
01-01-2017, 08:49 PM
Numrich Arms used to sell barrel/breech assemblies for several of the older muskets to replace ones in shot out or buggered up condition. their site has become so befuddled, confusing & contorted a simpleton like myself can no longer navigate it to see if they still offer them.

Not my favorite site to navigate for sure.

My friend, has decided to return it to the wall. Although he no longer reenacts, the musket has a lot of sentimental value. His family (wife, son and daughter) all currently use modern inlines for deer hunting. He said they may buy a new traditional style muzzleloader to shoot just for fun. I've invited them to come and shoot, we shall see what happens. Thank you all for your advice and opinions!

quail4jake
01-01-2017, 09:12 PM
If this musket has real sentimental value and you really want to fire it live...No.1: please don't fire that barrel at all, it is a setup for disaster. No.2: think about sending the entire musket to Whitacre's machine shop in Winchester, VA for a completely new and guaranteed safe, properly made barrel that will fire live rounds without worry. No.3: if you want real authenticity, make historically accurate cal..69 ball (and buck &ball) cartridges and fire with cartridge box and waistbelt with cap box. It really is a great experience to fire one of these the way it was really intended and you might be surprised what you can hit! Anyway...all it takes is money.