PDA

View Full Version : Need recomendation

44man
12-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Need a good flat screen TV about 40" for a decent price. Can't break the bank.
Old RCA gave it up after 28 years.
Looks like Wall Mart is cheapest.

dragon813gt
12-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Go to Walmart. They're all serviceable at this point. Samsung typically has the best picture for the money IMO. Don't buy a "smart" model and price will be very affordable. I paid $250 for my 42" a year ago.

edler7
12-28-2016, 08:33 PM
We have 2 LG's and a Toshiba.

I like watching the LG's.

BNE
12-28-2016, 08:47 PM
I used to make the tubes for big screen TVs for Hitachi. Everything out there is now half the price and a better picture than they were 12 years ago. After 28 years, I think you will be happy no matter what you get. You really can't go wrong with any of the known name brands. LG, Samsung, Sanyo, Panasonic, Hitachi. LCD is maybe better than Plasma, but not significantly.

dragon813gt
12-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Plasma has been out of production for some time now. No one making them anymore. OP is looking at a LCD if he wants an affordable one. LED and OLED are more money.

bubba.50
12-28-2016, 09:49 PM
I bought a 32 inch Insignia from Best-Buy about a month ago. $113.00 shipped to the front door.

HeavyMetal
12-28-2016, 09:53 PM
saw 50" flat screen at wal mart in Minden NV for $225.00 Thanksgiving weekend.

Best bet is to go to walmart website shop for price and size then have it shipped to the store closest to you for free, go pick it up, life is good.

Did this when I bought my Do All Raven battery powered skeet shower 299 and free shipping to local store.

HM

Down South
12-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Lots of options out there. I'm into Smart TV's for reasons and plan to buy another soon for the bedroom.
If you just want a good TV for picture quality, shop Wal Mart. LG's are what I'm running with good results. But, I don't know if they make a cheap TV.

Moonie
12-28-2016, 10:59 PM
We have had LG's (Magnavox) and Samsungs for awhile, both are good tv's. We went from a 46" 3D Samsung to a 65" LG 4K 3D in our living room. The current crop of LG's seemed to have a better picture than the Samsung's of the same price range.

MarkP
12-29-2016, 12:08 AM
If you already have high speed internet at your home a smart TV would be something to look into.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-29-2016, 01:05 AM
I've thinking about replacing my "black friday" TV, with a 40" and have been watching prices.
I think Samsung has best picture, and pretty good sound. A 40" Samsung (without the smart stuff) is around $250 an sometimes on sale for $200 or so. Best Buy seems to have the best 'sale prices'. But Walmart seems to have the best "regular" prices.

Don't buy a Black Friday TV...I realize we are past that season, but if you surf Craiglist, beware of the Black Friday TV's. They are special ordered with minimal features and less than best quality compounents. The one I have has the worst sound...I use peripheral speakers, otherwise I'd have to throw the TV away, the sound is that bad. The TV I had before this Black friday TV was also a Black Friday TV...it started acting up 2 years after I got it...Software issues I suspect? It goes black...unplugging it for a minute, then plugging it back in (a reboot), then it'd work for a day or so. Two times a charm, I'll never buy another black friday TV again.

Freightman
12-29-2016, 01:11 AM
I use a 19" for my computer screen old monitor went out new monitor was like $235 TV was $75

Lloyd Smale
12-29-2016, 06:02 AM
like was said the samsungs usually will have the best picture. That said during black Friday sales I picked up a 55 in phillips 4k tv for 320 bucks. It seems to have a great picture and the sounds pretty good too. Is it as good as the high end samsungs. Probably not but it has a picture that pleases me. 4k is the new wave in tvs. Don't really know why as theres no network that broadcasts in 4k and the only way to take advantage of it is to buy a true 4k disc player and buy 4k movies. disc player alone will set you back over 300 bucks right now. I'm sure they will come down if it catches on. this phillips will do apps and Bluetooth but to be honest I don't even know what they are. I still use a flip phone and a land line!!

labradigger1
12-29-2016, 07:56 AM
44 man,
Several sears and kmarts are closing here in WVa, liquidation begins jan 6th. If you can wait that long you may catch a deal.

44man
12-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys. Have to drive around today and look.

6bg6ga
12-29-2016, 08:36 AM
Being I work in the A/V world I will make several comments. The high def TV's haven't really caught on yet and even if they did your TV stations are not broadcasting in high def. DO NOT BUY the cheap house brands period. They are nothing but cheap junk. Realizing this is a forum you will get a 100 different answers telling you that a XYZ is the best brand. I 've played with everything for the inexpensive TV's to some in excess of 10K. I personally own Samsungs and the reason is when they die I can fix them within 30 minutes usually just a power supply problem. The SMART TV's are fine if you want NETFLIX or another movie provider. The most important thing with a LED TV is to not run the backlight and brightness at high settings. Don't fall for their warranty programs as they do nothing but generate money for the big box store.

6bg6ga
12-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Nothing wrong with shopping for a Walmart TV. Look to see if they have any left overs. Recently purchased a 58" SAMSUNG SMART TV for about $400 and sometimes they have something sitting that they have forgotten about. We might be able to fix that old RCA if I knew the problem it was having.

44man
12-29-2016, 05:45 PM
I could have fixed the RCA, I think a relay got burnt points. I just don't have a schematic for it and can't work without them. I could hear the relay click often but no power was connected.
Anyway I bought a Sharp 43" for the same as a Samsung but got 4K, Not much use for it yet. But soon Dish will have to add the programs.
I gutted the RCA floor model and will add shelves for the boxes. I just set them inside for now.
I can read the printing on the screen now, could not do it with the old one. Great picture.
Wall Mart was out of LG and Sony.
Hardest was to get the Dish remote programmed.

6bg6ga
12-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Good! Looks like you made a good choice. Sharp is a decent set. Just remember not to run the back light too hot or the brightness too high and the LED set will last a long time. If your thinking about fixing the RCA chec and see if they have a SAM's for it. Might make a good set for the garage.