PDA

View Full Version : Two Out of Four

Bent Ramrod
06-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Guys,

I'm scheduled for lens replacement cataract surgery in August. They gave me a rather ominous "Lifestyle Questionnaire" that asked me to pick two out of four vision ranges: far, intermediate, near and "other." The "other" included "Sharp-shooting," so that was a given, and the "near" included "newsprint" and "sewing," which I imagine might translate into "worthwhile reading" and "fine work with machine and hand tools." One question is, how badly will the other choices, like "driving," "outdoor" and "computer" will be impacted?

Another question is, what's the story on this "ReSTOR" multifocal lens? I was told it wasn't coverable by insurance, as the monofocal replacement lenses are, because it is still considered "experimental." I don't mind the extra cost out-of-pocket, if better vision is gained. Supposedly, it does away with the need for reading glasses for close work. Does anybody know of any downside besides the extra cost? I'm trying to imagine a situation where the ReSTOR lens, for whatever reason, is worse than the non-adjustable version.

Today I got a miserable 13 animals out of 40 at the .22 Silhouette match. I attribute my steadily decreasing scores to the slow fuzzing up of my eyes (ignoring the fact I don't practice enough, of course). Also, I notice it's harder to spot the Good Stuff at Gun Shows and Used Book Stores because of the lower light conditions typical in these places. Those "art" photos where Vaseline is smeared on the camera lens are all right to look at once in a while; a constant soft, "artistic" schmear over everything one sees is something else again.

I have worn glasses all my life, and realize that neither of these types of implants will necessarily make me see like a twenty-year-old with 20/20 vision, but what can I expect from these things? Has anybody gone through with the ReStOR lenses and found them advantageous or disadvantageous?

I'd appreciate any input from anybody with experience. Shooting, computing and reading seem to be things most people on this forum do, so this is the demographic I need the experiences from.

Thanks in advance.

floodgate
06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Dave:

I had both eyes done about 15 years ago, and Bev a couple of years later. Even in that interval, the procedure (same MD) had improved so that, while I was blacked-out for 24 hours, she was seeing well the next morning. I had a choice of only one working distance, and specified a 30" - 36"; they came out spot-on. I wear glasses nearly all the time (have been in bifocals since age 16), and appreciate the extra protection they provide in the shop and on the range, so I get the advantage of the close and distance (and slight cylinder) correction they provide, but we could both drive safely - at least by daylight - without them, if need be. For reading and computer work, I go about 80% of the time with - and 20% without - them; Bev, probably the reverse: 20 / 80. I can't speak to the multi-focals - they are since my time - but the monofocals work fine for me.

In certain high-contrast, near-point-image conditions (looking at a bright star like Vega on a dark night, or a hawk or buzzard 'way up in a clear sky), I get a slight bit of image breakup, but with concentration, it is not a problem (maybe a slight "pulling" of the implant stitches), and is not bothersome, and it doesn't occur on the range at all. (My sister has a bit more problem with this - different MD - but lives with it OK).

One thing I guarantee: your first look around once the patch comes off will seem miraculous: "Who cleaned the mayonnaise - in my case - off my glasses?!?"

Keep us posted, and feel free to PM or e-mail us with any further questions.

Doug

Duckiller
06-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Had right eye done in October. 50 yd targets were a blurr that I guessed at center. Could see to shoot pistol to about 10 yds. Dr. didn't give me a choice. Installed a lens that gives me 20/20 at distance. I was near sighted and have worn glasses since 8th grade. A looong time ago. Dr. says operation went perfect. I had some trouble healing and it took about 4 months before my eye totally healed. Right eye is now 20/20 and I can see to shoot with iron sights. I do need glasses to read newspapers. Left eye is still nearsighted and in a pinch I close right eye to read. Left eye is no where near a fuzzy as right eye got to be. Not sure when/if I will get it fixed if it stays like it is now. I work outside and need glasses for sun and eye protection so I saw no advantage to variable focal length implants. Had operation Tuesday afternoon, wore a patch overnight, didn't feel like going back to work til Sunday afternoon.

twidget
06-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I had both of my eyes done eight years ago, and went from 20/50 with the best available correction to 20/15, just like when I was 18. The doctor put in implants that are good for distance. Both came out good and I can pass the vision test for a driver's license without correction. My current glasses are no-line bifocals which I like very much. For rifle shooting I need a long barrel to be able to focus on the front sight. A smaller than usual aperture helps, too. I couldn't focus on the front sight of my AR-15 carbine, so I put a Bushmaster Dissipator barrel on it and now it puts the front sight just far enough out so I can see it clearly. With handguns I can tilt my head to the right position to bring the front sight into focus. Red dot sights are a great help, too.

I've heard that some people get a near correction in one eye and far in the other. That option wasn't offered to me.

Good luck with your operation. You'll be amazed at the difference!

Poygan
06-23-2008, 08:28 AM
My left eye was done in March and right eye in April. The procedure was quick and easy but the doctor I chose does a lot of folks. Left eye is now 20/15 and my right eye is about 20/25 (computer was blamed for this!). Right eye is a bit near sighted which may be a blessing. Given enough light I can read most print without using my cheapy reading glasses ($1 -$3 a pair). Can clearly see the front sights on revolvers and haven't tried rifles yet but expect that will work as well. The other thing I noticed right away was how bright everything was! Colors are vivid again.

I experienced no problems after the surgeries. Instructed to use various eye drop seven days prior and 21 days after. I chose the monofocal lenses after reading the brochures provided and also doing some on-line research. The multifocal lenses would have cost $1745 per eye plus another eye exam. Since they (computer) missed on my right eye I have serious doubts they would have accurately measured each eye at close, intermediate and far distances accurately.

Overall, I'm pleasured with the results.

felix
06-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Same as everyone else says. No job is perfect as we all know. The doc's say there is only one percent error in terms of something going wrong such that a patient would say it was no improvement or even worse. That is your consolation at this time. Yes, the colors and brightness are well improved, but detail focusing not so much without glasses in most cases. The best overall improvement is in the contrast of the eye, and that is a dramatic improvement. This means that what you are focusing on is CLEAR. You will still get a mild halo looking at streetlights as before, but the halo being different is now in better detail. Downside is that you will see the lens whenever side lighting is paramount. After about 6 months, you won't even notice that as a problem. No matter, it all becomes second nature. ... felix

P.S. Warning: Don't shoot any big boomer rifles for 6 months, just in case your eye does not heal in time for the occurance. In other words, do not bounce your head one iota. ... felix

Bent Ramrod
06-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the advice and especially for the encouragement. I'm leaning towards the ReSTOR on the basis of "If you have to do it, might as well jump in with both feet." But, I'll cogitate a couple more days before making the decision.

Thanks again.

Dave