PDA

View Full Version : Fine Tuning Dies

hollywood63
12-28-2016, 11:01 AM
For lack of a better title :)
I'm sitting here bored outa my mind after a hip replacement and was pondering on cleaning up all my reloading dies. What I'm thinking is polishing all the sizing dies and deburring if there are any and then just a general polish job on all the parts that slide, rub push etc. Any thoughts or things anyone else might have done?

Thanks

ReloaderFred
12-28-2016, 11:22 AM
I now what you mean by being bored while waiting for the ol' body to heal up. You feel like you're wasting time by not doing something.

You're in luck, though, because Varmint Al published his method of polishing dies quite a few years ago. I've used his method on dies to make them better and to restore dies that started scratching due to brass adhering to the steel. Here's the link: http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Polish

Hope this helps, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Fred

TNsailorman
12-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Thank you for the link Fred. I had that link some years ago but lost it when my old computer crashed. I was glad to get reacquainted with an old source. james

ReloaderFred
12-28-2016, 12:50 PM
You're welcome, James. I've used his method numerous times to fix dies for myself and friends.

Fred

hollywood63
12-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Very nice read Fred thanks for the link

MT Chambers
12-28-2016, 08:39 PM
I'd settle for you just cleaning the old lube from my seating dies.