PDA

View Full Version : Birthday and Christmas combined sods law.

Col4570
12-28-2016, 03:54 AM
Having planned Christmas and plus 80th Birthday on the 23rd Dec in detail,I and my other half felt comfortable in the fact that our efficiency was of the highest order.On the 22nd I had what I thought was a routine Hospital appointment to check me out for some upper chest pains.at the appointment they put me on the Treadmill and wired me up.After the exhausting routine I said is that it then I,l be off.The answer was "Whoa you aint going no where you are here for as long as it takes to get you right".They then proceeded to tell me that the tests indicated that I was on the verge of a Heart Attack."Gulp",the upshot of it was that I needed a Angiogram and a stent in the Artery.Therefore I could,nt go to my Birthday Bash and it was fingers crossed that I might make it for Christmas Day With the family.So here I am in the Hospital wearing one of those Gowns that where designed to show off the wearers posteria.On the 23rd I had the procedure,this entailed cutting into my Groin and into an Artery on my Arm in a Laboratory with state of the art scifi equipment,under the local anaesthetic I was able to listen to the two Doctors conferring as they progressed pushing a Wire from my groin up to my chest.After the op and one day the 24th for recovery I was eventually released on Christmas Day Bloodied but not defeated.Just in Time to go to my Daughters house for Xmas Lunch.The following day ( Boxing Day) the Family came to us and we catered for Nine of us.Tired you bet,I could Sleep on a Clothes Line.Seasons Greetings to All.

smokeywolf
12-28-2016, 04:58 AM
Sure sorry you had to go through that, but glad all seems OK now. Although missing your birthday, the discovery and procedure may have saved you from your first and possibly last heart attack. God's watching over you.

shoot-n-lead
12-28-2016, 05:26 AM
Glad that you seem to be on the mend.

Prayer sent for your continued improvement.

CraigOK
12-28-2016, 06:17 AM
Quite an ordeal, glad you went to the doc to get checked out and they were able to prevent the heart attack. May you have a speedy recovery and a higher quality of life

dale2242
12-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Fixing a potential fatal heart issue seems like a great birthday present.
Getting home for Christmas with family is great.
I tend to look on the up side of things.
I am happy to be alive at 75 and betting you are happy with 80.
Hang in there. Isn`t is great what they can do for us these days?....dale

XDROB
12-28-2016, 10:18 AM
I have kinda of the same story
Went to foot doctor in Nov. Rt foot hurt so bad it was becoming hard to walk. Being a life long diabetic, I was fearfull of any foot problems. Things progressed quickly. End of Nov xray showed something going on in foot,could not put foot down on ground. Ended up being hospitized and spent Christmas in hospital to have rt pinkie toe amputated. Turned I had massive Staph infection that got into the bones of my foot. Am being moved to a rehab facility to learn how walk again today. I have diabetes and also other medical issues that make me to have to be immune suppressed.
Anyone who is older or have any chronic disease should not ignore or bypass anything going on with thier bodies. I did not and look where I ended up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Blackwater
12-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Colt, ya' just can't keep a good man down! God bless you and all you love.

Sur-shot
12-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Well for the still walking wounded, glad you are all still on the green side and hope you have a healthy new year in 17. You do not want to hear my tales of woe, just say I am still here with you, and very happy to see the sun rise, every morning.
Ed

Kosh75287
12-28-2016, 02:36 PM
It sounds to me like you dodged a bullet, which is a HELLUVA birthday & Christmas present! I'm glad you were pro-active enough to see what was wrong, and that the physicians were so diligent in narrowing it down and fixing it so quickly.

Ithaca Gunner
12-28-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm glad you made it through okay and maintain a sense of humor to boot.

shooter93
12-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Them finding it and fixing you up is a GREAT Christmas present. To bad to miss you b-day party but now you can go to another 20 or 30 b-day parties.....smiles.

xs11jack
12-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Blessing on all of you! Col4570 did everything right and is a lesson on don't ignore those aches and pains, check them out. XDROB did the right thing too and is getting better so God is blessing you too.
Ole Jack

Artful
12-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Better to suffer this than the heart stopper. Have Many Happy New Years.

Down South
12-28-2016, 10:26 PM
It's good that you got it checked out and fixed. Now you can enjoy next years BD party.

Duckiller
12-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Congratulations on avoiding a heart attack. Have had 6 with two stents installed. the worse part was two weeks after each stent was installed. Instruction manual that they sent me home with said if you have chest pains take a nitro pill and call 911. Had the pains, took the pill and wife made the call. First time they just kept me overnight. Second stent i spentthe 4 of July in hospital watching fireworks. Stayed a week. One thing I have learned through all of this is you have chest pains call 911 and go to the hospital. they can do nothing for you if they don't know you are sick. They may just want to watch you for a while. There are all sorts of high tech things they can do for you if you don't have a MASSIVE heart attack, but they can't do anything for you if you don't tell them you are having chest pains. Good luck and once you have recovered resume exercising.

hutch18414
12-29-2016, 12:47 AM
You had much rather get it fixed without the heart attack. I have had 2 heart attacks and now have 7 stents, and trust me, you had it easy compared to the other way. The last one was brought on by helping drag a deer out. Dang it, just seems like I can't have any fun anymore, LOL.

kmw1954
12-29-2016, 02:07 AM
Col4570 you did the right thing and the Dr.'s acted correctly. I'm only 62 and have had more of these procedures than I care to remember. I've had 3 of these done just within the past 12 months and that's not counting the previous 10 years. I now carry 11 stents and an artificial graft that goes from my sternum to the groin in each leg. Because of the graft that was put in 12 years ago the dr.'s can no longer go thru my groin to do an angioplasty, they have to go thru my arm which makes it much more difficult.

I can't go to the ER any more with even a chest cold without them starting an IV and putting a 12 lead EKG on my chest.

So for all our friends here on the forum please don't take chest pain lightly. It can kill you. Also watch for pain while walking or climbing that subsides quickly with rest. These are serious warning signs.

Now, unfortunately I will be starting the new year out with another trip to the hospital in a couple weeks to repair some new blockages in both legs.

hutch18414
12-29-2016, 03:33 AM
Amen about the slight pains that subside quickly. If you are having those get checked out now. If you love your family and don't wish to put them through the pain of seeing you almost die or even die, please take this seriously. When that elephant starts sitting on your chest you will have to take it seriously. And it is a lot less painful getting it checked out early.

Col4570
12-29-2016, 04:45 AM
I am overwhelmed by the kind remarks from many who have been through more than I have.Also those who are free from it but take the time to offer comforting words.Non of us know what is around the corner and it is inspirational to know that there are those out there who can offer advice from experience.Many thanks.