PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Hodgson Annual Manuel

Preacher Jim
12-27-2016, 04:40 PM
They just put them out in the store I shop in great info
Grab one good reading

osteodoc08
12-27-2016, 04:58 PM
Supposed to be a new powder designed for the 300 BLK as well. Looking forward to picking up a copy

runfiverun
12-27-2016, 09:28 PM
it features the 300blk powder it looks to be just slower than 1680 and right near 4198.
I want to see if it has the red/green/blue data in it.

dragon813gt
12-27-2016, 09:32 PM
I don't believe the red/green/blue data is in it. There was another thread about the manual already. It has loads for 572 which were sparse. And three articles on the 300 BLK powder is a bit much. But it's full of loads from their online data center. Worth ever penny IMO since I pretty much use their powders exclusively.

quilbilly
12-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Oops! Should have bought when I saw it the first time this afternoon at the Exchange. Next time

JeffinNZ
12-28-2016, 03:11 AM
When the loading data is all available online why purchase the manual?

txkeeter
12-28-2016, 08:37 AM

I like to have the manuals in my reloading room which is about 75 yards from my computer

dragon813gt
12-28-2016, 09:24 AM

There is no substitute for a printed manual. Online data is convenient but subject to availability for many reasons. A printed manual is permanent as long as you take care or it.

runfiverun
12-28-2016, 12:50 PM
I like to have data in hand also.
I either copy it down or have the book open on the bench.
I also note my powder weight and place it in front of the scale so I don't transpose 2 numbers.
there is a big difference between 59.6grs and 56.9grs.
besides in 15 years someone is gonna need some data for their recently aquired 30RAR and it ain't gonna be on the web data.

dragon813gt
12-28-2016, 12:58 PM
I'd expect the web data to stay. That's one of the advantages to it. Doesn't cost money like it does to print it. Over time the online data should be more complete. Assuming they keep all safe data posted. If they pull it down it's the same as printed except there will be no way to get it if you didn't print it out when it was available.

Blackwater
12-28-2016, 01:57 PM

Well, Jeff, if you ask that kind'a question, you probably wouldn't accept the answer. What happens if one day you don't have electricity and need to load? Will you recall all your loads accurately? Are you sure? I keep a log of what I load that proves to be really good with a note which rifle it was shot in. And besides, you're not really interested in reloading if you don't enjoy reading about it. I have quite a few manuals, and still am buying more. We have about 200 different powders available to us now. No one (and not even a dozen!) manual can contain all the info we may need. So often, I've gotten a deal on some old powder, and I've always had data for it. It matters.

trapper9260
12-28-2016, 02:12 PM
I learn before the internet or anything like what there is today. It is a manual and I learn most of what I know from the manual and still have them same ones i learn from and got some others also later on and still on the look out for some that might work for me.

Bookworm
12-28-2016, 03:11 PM

I have some Hodgdon Trap 100 powder. It was discontinued in the late 1980's. Try going to Hodgdon's site and finding loading data for it. There is none.

My Hodgdon #25 manual (5th printing, 1989) has data for Trap 100. This is why I have it.

Online data can, and will, be changed, modified, or deleted. This change could be done by Hodgdon, or you could be denied access to that information by other entities - government included. You may scoff, but guns are useless without ammo, and ammunition is much easier to regulate.

If you own it in print, barring misfortune it is yours forever.

Smoke4320
12-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Online data can, and will, be changed, modified, or deleted. This change could be done by Hodgdon, or you could be denied access to that information by other entities - government included. You may scoff, but guns are useless without ammo, and ammunition is much easier to regulate.

If you own it in print, barring misfortune it is yours forever.

agree 100% .. in print its yours to keep ...on the internet ...who knows what the future holds

smokeywolf
12-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Although I'm very happy to have the internet and be able to confab with all you fine folks out there. I too favor books and manuals. I've found that searching for specific information on the internet usually gets you that specific information and little else. Whereas with a manual you usually have to read or skim info not specific to the info you seek. I learn more by having to read through other material while I hunt for the specific bits of info that prompted my search.

Screwbolts
12-28-2016, 05:58 PM
I agree with Jeff!!! I have many manuals and have printed out many pages from the net. I find the net (computers) and smart phones are very fast for finding data.

JeffinNZ
12-28-2016, 10:29 PM
Thanks for your replies. Just testing the water you see. I suspect younger people are probably happy with online. I like manuals too and especially the older ones for reasons stated above but these days I tend to go online and then print. BUT I still like manuals.

TXGunNut
12-29-2016, 12:06 AM
I started buying the online manual a few years ago and will buy one again this year in spite of my lack of interest in the 300 BO. I've been using manuals since way before Al Gore invented the internet and I'll always have one (or maybe six) nearby when I'm online or in the loading room looking for a load. I use the online sources now and then but I suppose I'll always prefer a hard copy.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-29-2016, 01:17 AM
I love paper.
I write down all my notes on paper.
I know many here use digital spreadsheets, those are fine.
Computers are fine, I really like them...but I love paper.

Most of my loads are referenced from a paper Lyman manual, I like to doublecheck and triple check some loading data (especially with old powders that are new to me), and the internet is nearly indispensable for that.

rototerrier
12-29-2016, 08:44 AM
I'd imagine the folks that think the Internet and electricity will last forever are reloading for different reasons than most of us. I'm a pessimist and have planned accordingly.

blackthorn
12-29-2016, 01:07 PM
I have a bunch of manuals. That said, printers, paper punches and three ring binders are my friends.

Hardcast416taylor
12-29-2016, 01:13 PM
The thought that immediately enters my mind about data on a computer site is.....doesn`t anyone own a printer that is hooked up with your computer so you can print it off?Robert

JeffinNZ
12-29-2016, 07:13 PM
I'd imagine the folks that think the Internet and electricity will last forever are reloading for different reasons than most of us. I'm a pessimist and have planned accordingly.
I'm not sure you are pessimistic. My concern is the the digital age will leave nothing for future generations. After all; how many of you have a PC that can accept a floppy disc or even CD now?

richhodg66
12-29-2016, 11:49 PM
A guy can never have too many load manuals.

Been going through my Dad's stuff lately and he has powders that haven't been made in years that are still good. Got about four pounds of old Alcan 120, darn little data for it. A few others too. Fortunately, he had enough loading manuals amassed over the decades that I managed to find enough data to put it to use.

TXGunNut
12-30-2016, 12:02 AM
There's something about laying out two or three manuals with your load log or notebook and trying to come up with a load that will work for your situation. For some reason I'm more comfortable doing that than jumping from site to site. And yes, at least one will probably be "out of date" but still quite useful.

michael.birdsley
12-30-2016, 12:50 AM
They send them out free if you fill out the form on line. I think it takes about 6 weeks to arrive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-30-2016, 02:20 PM
They send them out free if you fill out the form on line. I think it takes about 6 weeks to arrive though.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the do...or they did.
I got the 2016 paper manual sent to me.
When I seen this post, I went to their website to try and get the 2017, and could not find where to submit for the new 2017 paper manual for free???

I'll have to check with the LGS, on my next visit.

jonp
12-30-2016, 06:30 PM

Ever have a GPS go dead on you? A compass and a topo will always work, same as a reloading manual. I also just like to hold something and browse through it. Besides, my hunting camp is a number of miles from any internet.

Bookworm
12-30-2016, 10:05 PM
...... I also just like to hold something and browse through it.

This.

The problem with internet catalogs, or internet manuals, is that you have to know what you are looking for to find it.
A paper manual or catalog can be browsed. One can leisurely leaf through, discovering new and interesting tidbits. Websites have their place, and I use them extensively, but nothing beats a book or catalog in hand.

dragon813gt
12-31-2016, 12:18 PM
I'm a little leery of the 357 Sig loads now. They list only a max charge of 800-X at 9.0 grains w/ a 147 grain XTP. Case was full to the top. It's not denoted as a compressed charge. 8.5 grains was still in the neck. I backed off a full grain because of this. If it was marked as a compressed charge I wouldn't be as worried.

bruce drake
04-14-2017, 11:11 AM
I look at Hodgdon's yearly magazine as an annual update for my 1st ED LEE Reloading book. I have seen a change in the recommended powder ranges several times for various rifles and pistols over the years as the canister lots get updated or even discontinued (IMR 4007SSC was one of my favorite medium-slow powders but it was recalled and discontinued by Hodgdon in 2015 while I still had several pounds left.)
I don't believe the new Red or Green load data was in the annual but I saw those powders for the first time in the gunshop last week when I had to restock some H380.

3leggedturtle
04-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Hard copies are great to read when sitting on the throne! Todd/3leg

Kraschenbirn
04-14-2017, 11:47 AM
I swing both ways. On my library bookshelves are reloading manuals/mfg. pamphlets going back to the late 1960's...all well-thumbed and dog-eared with post-it tabs marking specific calibers for quick reference. Above my reloading bench, are Lee's 'Modern Reloading', Water's 'Pet Handloads', and the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (4th edition) so, obviously, I like having hard-copy available. But, on the other hand, these days I don't often sit down at my bench without my HP laptop within reach. I've got Wi-Fi off my cable ISP. so online resources are immediately available, as well.

Bill

reddog81
04-14-2017, 01:06 PM
I have printed out numerous pages of load data from Accurate, Lyman #48. It is so much easier to review 20 printed pages of data that all directly pertain to cartridges I load for rather than having to thumb through large volumes to find the pages I'm looking for. The printed pages take up so much less space and it's easier to keep in a handy location. I also feel less guilty about scribbling notes on the printed pages and the back sides are blank allowing my to jot down notes regarding differing OAL's and load data that has worked out well in the past.

MT Chambers
04-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Good info, but quit calling me "Manuel".

RGrosz
04-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Wish I had the printed manuals that I lost when the basement (and reloading cave) flooded a couple of years ago. Still haven't recovered all the way. Can reload some and still planning to put it in the garage and set it up different. But you can say I'm a paper guy but will look up on the internet too.

bearcove
04-14-2017, 09:53 PM
There is this techy thing called a printer I use it! works great!

jonp
04-15-2017, 09:07 AM

My hunting camp also has no power or cell service. Us old folk like a printed manual to look at.

SSGOldfart
04-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Nothing wrong with being ready when the time.:killingpc