PDA

View Full Version : First melting questions........a few questions????

cowboy junky
06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the info posted on the site everyone. I bought all my stuff to start casting and I have read a lot on here but after I melted some lead down to ingots I have a couple questions.

I had some .240 grain 44 leads that I melted down because they are too heavy for my needs and I would never have used them. After they melted I dropped in some candle wax and sure enough it ignited and I was prepared for that. What I didn't really know was how long it would burn, etc. I let it burn out by itself and immediately after that tried to scrape the dirt off the top of the lead.

At first the skimming wasn't working to well the all of a sudden the mixture almost glazed over and became easy to scrape off the flux and dirt. Was I lucky or it that what usually happens?

Then I poured the lead into a heavy duty aluminum muffin pan I got at K-mart and let it set. After about 1 hr I turned the pan over expecting to have a real hard time getting them out but they dropped right out as I turned it over. The ingots have a white haze on them and I was wondering if that is normal? I know the finished boolits shouldn’t be that way but will it matter on the ingots?

Sorry for such a long post and I really appreciate all the help from the site......Thanks