PDA

View Full Version : First Ingots Poured Today - Perfectionist Mind Already Slowing Me Down

308Jeff
12-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Now that I got my tin separation issue resolved (big thanks to everyone who helped), I started pouring my first ingots this morning using some brand new Lee molds. I was eyeing the finish on the molds pretty heavily just as soon as they came out of the boxes; wondering if all the flash/casting imperfections were going to transfer to the ingots. They did. But they're just ingots so who cares, right? Let me say that the molds worked perfectly, the ingots dropped right out. But I can't stop asking myself, "Wouldn't they be prettier if I polished all the imperfections out of the molds?"

My only concern is if I start meddling the things, is it going to make it tougher for the ingots to release? Or would they release better? Or should I just worry about more important things in life, and just leave the molds as is.

If my brain is this bad already, I'm gonna lose my mind when I start powder coating. :D

OS OK
12-26-2016, 05:25 PM
OMG...Heres another who just can't leave good enough alone...I thought that was my story exclusively around here!
I'm always looking to improve something too...'good enough' just don't cut it, don't blame you a bit for eyeballing the mediocre finish.

We both know it doesn't make any difference cause they're headed for the pour pot...but, why not a little more shiny? ... :bigsmyl2:
And, they'd look better in their neat little stacks too.
Aesthetic gratification?

OutHuntn84
12-26-2016, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about the finish. Yeah they are gonna drop easier out of a polished surface but I get a lot of therapeutic satisfaction from flipping them over and smacking them down on the bench lol

Brasso
12-26-2016, 05:36 PM
I think its called OCD.

runfiverun
12-26-2016, 08:05 PM
I put all the ugly ones on top and use them first.
but I can say from experience that if you go banging an aluminum mold [ingot or otherwise]on a bench top too much you'll have 2 halves to work with.

Budzilla 19
12-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Sir, by all means, polish those imperfections out if it makes you feel better! It's a tool, if you want it to have a better appearance then polish it! I know how you feel, because I took an endgrinder to a $1000 Cummins diesel exhaust header cause I didn't like the way it fit! So, I know where you coming from! Satisfy yourself firstly! Just my .02!

308Jeff
12-26-2016, 10:40 PM
I might end up being the first guy on castboolits to powder coat my ingots.

RogerDat
12-26-2016, 10:50 PM
I would just use them as is but then I do most of my ingots in muffin tins and bread loaf pans. I'm pretty sure I only score style points for my angle iron ingots.

You know a little wet/dry sandpaper and a block would probably improve the look and release without too much investment in time and money. Me I would leave the "Lee" bottom as is so the finished ingots would have a smooth side and "brushed" looking top with logo. No wait a second I wouldn't because I'm lazy, but it might look cool if someone else wanted to do it.

Just make sure if you use any liquid on the mold you clean it out and bake the mold completely dry before using it. Stink to have shiny splatter on ceiling instead of shiny ingot, that tinsel fairy is a very messy fairy.

308Jeff
12-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Thanks, all.

Wayne Smith
01-01-2017, 02:25 PM
My best friend came over to cast yesterday and brought some ingots cast in cat food cans. They melt fine!

JSnover
01-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Do it if it makes you happy, they are your molds.
I've never had a problem dropping ingots, just let them cool a bit and flip them over.

Bigslug
01-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Shiny. . .ingots??

A line from Pirates of the Carribbean comes to mind: "You need to find yourself a girl, mate. . ."

brassrat
01-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Now that I got my tin separation issue resolved (big thanks to everyone who helped), I started pouring my first ingots this morning using some brand new Lee molds. I was eyeing the finish on the molds, pretty heavily, just as soon as they came out of the boxes; wondering if all the flash/casting imperfections were going to transfer to the ingots. They did. But they're just ingots so who cares, right? Let me say that the molds worked perfectly, the ingots dropped right out. But I can't stop asking myself, "Wouldn't they be prettier if I polished all the imperfections out of the molds?"

My only concern is if I start meddling the things, is it going to make it tougher for the ingots to release? Or would they release better? Or should I just worry about more important things in life, and just leave the molds as is.

If my brain is this bad already, I'm gonna lose my mind when I start powder coating. :D

I added in some missing commas.

mold maker
01-03-2017, 01:22 PM
It's just like brilliant shiny clean brass. It don't help, and it don't hurt either, but it makes ME happy.