PDA

View Full Version : 38 special bullet weight

Old Jim
12-26-2016, 03:09 PM
You'll love this. I'm asking for opinions.

I shoot black powder in CAS.

38 specials in rifle.

I currently shoot Big Lube 38Slims (115 grs on my scale) with black powder compressed 1/8". I'm not really thrilled but they are OK.

One shoot I do is a throw back type of shoot with some of their rifle targets at 110+ yards. Last year I felt I was on the targets but hits were sporadic.

I think a better designed bullet with more weight would be a better performer. I have no desire to load a variety of weights so I want to pick one and stay with it.

What bullet and weight would you recommend?

country gent
12-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Alot will depend on the twist rate of your firearms barrels. For the longer ranges I would look to something in the 158grn to 180grn range with a round nose. 2 -3 lube grooves. Lube these with SPG or other good BP lube ( emmerts is easy to make at home). The heavier weight should do a couple things for you, II find heavier bullets in black powder lower extreme spreads, and the added weight will carry velocity better downrange. If your load with the 115 grn bullet is starting out just over speed of sound then you may be transitioning thru before the target disturbing the accuracy. The haevier bullet will start out slower but remain stabiler at distance due to this lack of transitioning. Look at Accurate, Noe, Old West, Lyman and rcbs. I believe lee also has some traditional style grease groove bullet moulds in this range. You might consider a post In Wanted for some test bullets to try and see what works also.

Old Jim
12-27-2016, 05:24 PM
I have 50 140 gr TC bullets from Missouri Bullet Co loaded with Pinnacle to try when the weather warms enough to make it endurable. I took advantage of their 100 bullet for trial offer. I also have what appears to be the same bullet with a different lube coming from Whyte Leather Works.
Twist is 1/18.75.

w30wcf
12-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Jim,
The standard 158 gr. Cowboy bullet RNFP lubed with SPG shot some really good groups at 100 yards when loaded over 21.5 grs of Swiss 3F powder. By good I mean in the 2" range from my Marlin Cowboy rifle.

Hope your testing goes well.
w30wcf

Outpost75
12-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Accurate Molds has several .38 Special black powder designs with greater lube capacity than the run of the mill cowboy bullets.