PDA

View Full Version : Need H&R Huntsman 50cal ramrod

ohnomrbillk
12-26-2016, 01:53 PM
I have a H&R huntsman muzzleloader in 50 caliber.

I have the original ramrod, but I'm told they are prone to failure.

I have read about Hubbard's Outdoor Products making a replacement rod, but I've not been able to get the gentleman to make me one. I understand he's essentially retired.

Does anyone know of an alternative?

If someone can come up with one for me to measure, I'd happily pay to "rent" it long enough take some measurements in order to machine one for myself, which is within my capabilities.

waarp8nt
12-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Unless I'm not understanding your post....Why not go off of the measurement of the original? It seems like sound reason to me, measure the original and that would be a start on how a replacement could be made.

I have a couple "unbreakable" rods and that's how I have made my T/C replacements.

mooman76
12-26-2016, 03:09 PM
What is the original made of that would make it prone to failure? It's not that hard to make your own. You can make it from blank stock or by one made and shorten it to the desired length.

bubba.50
12-26-2016, 03:45 PM
the Huntsman ramrod is made of brass & is collapsible to fit in the fore-end which is attached to the barrel by a screw that prevents use of a full length rod. the brass the factory used is very soft, the collapsible end is too small & they're very prone to breakage. the Hubbard rod, bein' made of a better grade of brass & manufactured to higher standards is far superior. if he has indeed retired it is sad news for Huntsman owners.

waarp8nt
12-26-2016, 04:14 PM
the Huntsman ramrod is made of brass & is collapsible to fit in the fore-end which is attached to the barrel by a screw that prevents use of a full length rod. the brass the factory used is very soft, the collapsible end is too small & they're very prone to breakage. the Hubbard rod, bein' made of a better grade of brass & manufactured to higher standards is far superior. if he has indeed retired it is sad news for Huntsman owners.

Thank you, I didn't realize how they were made.

FergusonTO35
12-27-2016, 09:08 AM
I use the original ramrod of my rifle only for hunting, otherwise I use a T handle rod. I figure when the original breaks I'll make some sort of holster for a full length rod.

pietro
12-27-2016, 10:38 AM

FWIW, the .45 H&R I gave my oldest Grandson 10 years ago has the collapsible RR, but hasn't given him a lick of trouble so far (he hunts deer with it every year).

FergusonTO35
12-28-2016, 10:24 AM
The original rod should work well enough for hunting use. The key is, always make sure it is threaded all the way out before using it. For range use just get a t-handle rod, it's not like they are expensive or hard to find.

12-28-2016, 09:58 PM
I had one of Hubbard's and it worked great. Then it broke. Never thought about trying to re-contact him. I just got a brass rod and it sticks out past the muzzle a little.