PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas to remember

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Well, I guess people read my facebook posts about my laundry, LOL, as I just got a new homemade quilt from my loving Daughter.

this is what I posted last summer on FB: The old raggedy quilt was on it's last legs, it made it through the wash, but probably wouldn't last though another. It's a warm quilt and I really like it a lot, but it is starting to come apart, the backing is just strings and rips :(
This new quilt is so beautiful and nice and fluffy, I just love it and I would have thought it was the best Christmas present ever.

I was invited to my Daughter's Mom and step Dad's place for a Christmas celebration yesterday. They always have a big event, many family members, it's always fun. I gave my daughter and her husband a piece of artwork, a large welded tin representation of two revolvers with a Star in the center. We have in the past wrapped presents for each other in newspaper, kind of a 'recycling' kind of thing. My gift to them was in no way possible to be wrapped in newspaper. I had this huge Aldi's reusable grocery bag (that I got as a freebie, at a grand opening of the local Aldi's store)...and I thought, how perfect, a recycle/reuseable wrap. So that's what I used. It seems my Daughter was on the same wavelength, as the Quilt they gave me ...wait for it ...was in a Aldi's bag...honestly, that's just crazy.

Then during the mild chaos of the small children opening their gifts, I start to open another gift, given to me. It was in a fancy gift bag, with fancy tissue paper...lots of fancy tissue paper. I'm thinking, who would give me something wrapped in fancy stuff? My gifts almost always come in newspaper...as that is what I use to wrap presents, and it's well known to this group, and a bit of a joke (of my cheapness).

Anyway, I remove the first layer of tissue and I see nothing, then the next layer, still nothing. These were large folded/crumpled pieces of tissue, so I thought I better unfold and uncrumple them, maybe the gift was stuck in the tissue? ...nope, still nothing. Then I notice most everyone in close proximity to me, was watching me.

I dig deeper into the bag for the third and last piece of tissue, it was folded up too, so I unfold it, there inside that last piece of tissue, was a Baby bib (shown in the photo with the new quilt). That instant, I was sure I got someone else's gift...I don't have a baby, and it's too small to fit me? Then I read the slogan on the Bib, and I realized the gift was a message of joy, and I was filled with love and joy. Best Christmas present ever.

Merry Christmas.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Quilt%20from%20Jess%20and%20baby%20bib_zpsi8oz0res .jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Quilt%20from%20Jess%20and%20baby%20bib_zpsi8oz0res .jpg.html)

Sweetpea
12-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Congrats, grandpa!

sparky45
12-26-2016, 12:13 PM
Great gift indeed!! I got to hold my Great-Grandson yesterday (4 months old) and experience the very essence of God's greatest gift. Congrats!

Isaac
12-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Outstanding! What a beautiful quilt!

Very nice surprise, too!

Merry Christmas Grandpa.

Isaac

WILCO
12-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Congratulations!

Blackwater
12-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Well, Jon, you're ruined now! Ain't nothin' makes an old man quite as giddy and child like as becoming a new grandpa! God bless you all, brother! And you'll LOVE being a daft ol' grampa!

MrWolf
12-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Aye, Congrats! You are a lucky man.

Boaz
12-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Congratulations Jon !

Hogtamer
12-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Yahoo! Go ahead and by that boy a .22! You can paint it pink of it's a girl and it will be good and broke in by the time they are old enough. Congratulations Grampa, great days ahead.

Menner
12-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Congrats POPS Welcome to the Club
Tony

jeepyj
12-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Sound like you had a very special Christmas. Congratulations!!

skeettx
12-26-2016, 06:18 PM
YEEEEE HAWWWW!
What joy, what joy
GREAT present GrandPa
Mike

buckwheatpaul
12-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Grandpa jobs are great and yet challenging.....congrats....

smoked turkey
12-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Wow what a neat Christmas story. Jon you had a dandy Christmas surprise. Congratulations on being a "Pappa". That is me here and lot of the kids and grandkids just call me Pap, and I love it! So from one Pap to another Merry Christmas!.

CastingFool
12-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Congrats on the upcoming grandbaby, Jon. I love being a grandfather.

TenTea
12-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Fantastic! Good for you Jon and may the blessings be...

robg
12-27-2016, 12:24 PM
Nice one