PDA

View Full Version : 12 guage bird bombs

rancher1913
12-25-2016, 02:30 PM
I used to be able to buy 12 guage bird bombs, they are 12 guage rounds that shoot a firecracker out to about 100 yards and then it explodes. they have worked great for scaring off coyotes but no one has them anymore, just the ones that you need a special launcher to shoot.

has anybody made their own. have some old blackcats that I think would work and I understand the principle but it might be better to go from scratch and use a better quality timed fuse and a "round" that would better fit the barrel.

having same problem with 37mm grenades but found a source for reloading those this morning and the "kit" they sell may work as components in the 12 guage rounds.

any real world experiance? feel free to use pm if you don't want to talk openly and I hope this does not break any rules, if it does mods feel free to delete it.

GRUMPA
12-25-2016, 03:28 PM
I use to buy those years ago, wasn't cheap even back then. I'm going to watch this thread and see what shows up, inquiring minds just gotta know..

Ithaca Gunner
12-25-2016, 03:34 PM
The old Dixie Gun Works catalogs had recipes for bombs you launched out of a 12ga hull. I tried them with (mostly) success, that is I didn't harm the gun. I'm not going to repeat the recipe here.

dverna
12-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Ammo is available on line. Do a google search

AmmoToGo I think had them

Don Verna

SWANEEDB
12-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Interesting--will keep a watch on this one.

faustus
12-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Recently, and out of curiosity, I took a 12ga Flare apart ....

Here the pictures ....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j2k13tjczl3mikc/AADsCFfSUBCwnxijJcZ00Dzea?dl=0

Maybe that helps ...

(https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j2k13tjczl3mikc/AADsCFfSUBCwnxijJcZ00Dzea?dl=0)

Skipper
12-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Here's the ATF regulations:

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/explosives-pest-control-device-requirements

Geezer in NH
12-26-2016, 08:20 PM
They are called explosives now and a no-no by BATFE, they are in the E part. Not worth what they want you to jump through to have them.

too many things
12-26-2016, 10:28 PM
my box is made by
Stoneco. inc
tridad co
as of this post i have not looked them up box is dated 1992
they used the Ative hull still have 15 .
be sure if you do get them to clean the barrel or it will rust in a week
they still show all info
PH number is 719 846 2853
onthis box

rancher1913
12-27-2016, 12:41 PM
those are very similar to the ones I had but I guess nowadays you need an explosives license to buy them.

Tackleberry41
12-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Guy I used to know got himself one of the 37mm launchers, what a waste of money that thing was. It really only worked as a big single shot shotgun, or to launch the premade smoke bombs. He had some sort of plastic finned bomb you could buy, with a fuse up thru the tail. But would end up being $6 a shot or something like that. He tried to find some way of making something, but was never cheap or easy.

Seems like the 12ga bird bombs are just a large firecracker in a sabot. Fuse is lit when fired. Seems like weight of the projectile would be an issue, as in to light. Years ago when younger, one of us got the idea to replace the shot in a 12ga with aluminum rivets, didnt even make out out of the barrel, just not enough for it to light properly.

beagle
12-29-2016, 04:07 PM
Oh man, I sure miss my M-79 that I had to leave in VN./beagle

popper
12-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Why not just SHOOT them?

Sur-shot
12-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Sounds like it would be cheaper to just go to a fireworks stand and buy some 1 1/2 inch report mortars and a tube in a box. They will launch pretty good with a 2x wood reinforcement base and at a 45 degree angle. It is like shooting a blooper from the hip, once you get used to the trajectory you can get fairly close to stuff. So I have been told..... :-)
Ed

rancher1913
12-29-2016, 09:35 PM
have the fireworks tube and mortar and they are to much pyro, just need the loud crack. we do shoot what we can but they run the creek in packs and the bird bombs were the best way to make them think that the way opposite of my animals was the best way. have the 37mm launcher and it works just like the 12 guage rounds just maybe more intense but those things are way expensive and you need the license now a days. I miss the old days of chasing my brother with a stick of dynamite (true story).

garandsrus
12-29-2016, 11:29 PM
What about using exploding bottle rockets? They would get out there 6o-70 or more yards before blowing up. Should be really cheap too.

rancher1913
12-30-2016, 11:09 AM
bottle rockets don't have the reach or aim, I launch the bird bombs out to the max and they just barely get there. you need to drop the "bang" just ahead of the pack to turn them, shotgun blasts from the house doesn't faze them, they know the range of guns and how far out to stay, but that "bang" out of nowhere right in front of them really does the trick.

Geezer in NH
12-30-2016, 06:18 PM
What you need are remote propane cannons. Set them up wherever and they time shoot on their own. The neighbors WILL hate you unless they are farmers themselves.

Faret
12-31-2016, 07:51 PM
Why not just SHOOT them?

This!

rancher1913
12-31-2016, 08:59 PM
we do shoot them, and trap them, and call them, and poison them. there are just too many and they are wise to all the tricks, they won't go near a dead cow because of us using that as bait and setting traps all around it. the bird bombs are just one little trick that still works and does not require hours and hours of my time. hauled hay from sun up till sun down today and don't have time to go hunting coyotes all night, maybe in another life.

1911cherry
01-01-2017, 12:59 AM
They still make them but $1.32 a round
http://www.suttonag.com/shell_crackers.html
And a FEL $100 for three years, and free prostate check from the BATFE

rondog
01-01-2017, 04:53 AM
They still make them but $1.32 a round
http://www.suttonag.com/shell_crackers.html

Did you see the part in red about needing a FEL (federal explosives license) to buy them?

54bore
01-01-2017, 07:27 AM
I remember these, they were fun to shoot in my old Iver Johnson single shot, we mostly wasted them just to hear the boom! Haven't thought about these in a long time

Three44s
01-01-2017, 04:10 PM
On those small mortar rounds, there is one called a salute that is just noise and a bit of smoke ..... rattles the ground better than the boom and sparkle variety.

For my money, the old 37mm with bird bombs were the best ...... we used them on elk for a short time ...... the Patriot Act took care of that.

For coyotes we calve in a valley with basalt cliffs on either side and use the before mentioned propane cannons on the sides of the bluffs ........ you get a real echo chamber going there and the coyotes that venture into that arraingement are few and far between.

They do get used to the constant banging after a while but by then we have moved onto calve more out in the open.

My first choice is LEAD, second is the propane cannon when it comes to coyotes.

They banned trapping of coyotes in my home state and it's available under special conditions and we also previously aerial gunned them but the bunny huggers took care of that as well.

Guess people in the cities are just tired of eating?

Perhaps it's time for a good long vacation ........... give the huggers some hunger and perspective?

Happy Trump Day

Three 44s

Geezer in NH
01-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Don't forget the approved explosive safe/container/magazine. Just part of the HOOPS I mentioned.

My son is a licensed animal control business and he refuses to jump through the hoops for them as in fun but no income all outgo for them.

It blows as when I had 20 acres of Christmas trees planted the F&G supplied them so I would not shoot the moose grazing on them. Still had to shoot 1 pair as the bombs did not bother them.

Nothing as funny as watching the wife in her baby dolls and bunny slippers running down the field shooting moose in the butt with them. Wish we could go back 40 years to that again.

Yodogsandman
01-16-2017, 07:30 PM
Shoulda seen the kids faces when it was Dads turn to shoot at the hand thrown skeet, years ago. I had some bird bombs in my pocket that they didn't see me load up. Heh Heh Heh

brian1
05-01-2021, 03:09 AM
updated info - I just found out that, as of 2018, you can now buy these 12 gauge bird bombs again, although you do have to fill out a 2-page form and have to be able to justify your need for them. They call them Shell Crackers. ATF has declared them no longer something that needs FEL. They also make 2 similar products that fire out of a plastic pistol you buy from them, using a percussion cap. One is called Bird Banger and does not require a FEL. The other is called Bird Bomb and does require FEL. The lady at Sutton Ag claimed all 3 make an equally loud noise, and that the difference is just the chemicals they are made from. I don't know why they'd bother making all 3 products if all make same boom. The Shell Crackers have much longer range than the 2 that fire out of a plastic pistol. I just ordered some Shell Crackers (you have to get increments of 100 at Sutton), so I'll soon find out if they are as good as the old ones you used to be able to buy in a gun shop.
Sutton Shell Crackers https://suttonag.com/shell_crackers.html
Sutton Bird Bangers https://suttonag.com/bird_bangers.html
Sutton Bird Bombs (requires FEL) https://suttonag.com/bird_bangers.html
Stoneco also has Shell Crackers (no FEL) and long range Shell Crackers (requires FEL)
https://www.stonecowildlifecontrol.com/products.html
Stoneco is a bit more expensive IIRC, but you don't have to buy in increments of 100.

I suspect, but have no evidence to support it, that the 2 you can get without FEL are based on Black Powder and the one that requires FEL may be based on so-called flash powder. But again the lady at Sutton claimed all 3 make the same level of boom.

For all of these, there's a substantial hazmat charge, about $40 as I recall, in addition to shipping charges, when you order.

PS - if you use these Shell Crackers, make darn sure you thoroughly clean your barrel after shooting them. I don't know if it's because the charge involves black powder or what, but I found out the hard way, years ago when you could get them at a gun shop, that they will rust your barrel big time in a hurry if you just fire them & put the shotgun away.

Cap'n Morgan
05-01-2021, 05:32 PM
PS - if you use these Shell Crackers, make darn sure you thoroughly clean your barrel after shooting them. I don't know if it's because the charge involves black powder or what, but I found out the hard way, years ago when you could get them at a gun shop, that they will rust your barrel big time in a hurry if you just fire them & put the shotgun away.

I believe most, if not all, pyrotechnical shotshell loads are based on black powder for boosting the payload skywards (I know 4 gauge flare shells are) Black powder is more forgiving than smokeless powder when it comes to light loads.

rancher1913
05-01-2021, 09:25 PM
let me know how they work please.

Minerat
05-02-2021, 12:21 AM
Check with DOW they may get you some. At least they did back in the 1970's when my GP farmed east of Longmont. We used them to keep the geese out of the winter wheat.

rancher1913
05-02-2021, 08:00 AM
dow just laughs at you now days.

Minerat
05-02-2021, 10:38 AM
Yup, they are more worried about spending sportsmans money on wolves and their parks then wildlife. Also many seem to becoming more interested in being police officers then wildlife officers then providing information on hunting and fishing opportunities. Their favorite word is No.....

Conditor22
05-02-2021, 11:03 AM
I never tried this-- just brainstorming. would a cherry bomb fit in a 12 gauge hull and how long does the fuse take?

I'm thinking a 300BO, subsonic rounds, a decent scope, and a can you should be able to drop a few yotes 150 - 200 yards before they take off and no hearing protection needed.

Markopolo
05-02-2021, 11:31 AM
here is a video I made dissecting one of these for making these myself. should have everything you need to know about the original.

https://gunstreamer.com/v/PHAhqK

rancher1913
05-02-2021, 03:59 PM
the new newfangled cherry bombs do not have any where hear the concussion of the bird bangers. I have tried a lot of different firecrackers and none make much noise.

Cap'n Morgan
05-03-2021, 03:58 PM
For some odd reason, firecrackers don't make as much noise now as they did when I was a kid..;-)