PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Fortis?

birddog 6
12-24-2016, 01:33 PM
I know that aqua fortis does wonders for curly maple stocks to bring the grain out but will it do the same for a T/C walnut stock?

curator
12-24-2016, 01:53 PM
Aqua fortis is Nitric acid. It is an oxidizer that will darken wood. It can bring out the "curl" in maple or the "burl" in walnut. It won't do much for straight grain walnut or beech except make it a few shades darker. Be sure to neutralize any areas you use it on before reinstalling the furniture (trigger guard, side late etc.) as it will corrode them rapidly.

rfd
12-24-2016, 04:02 PM
i agree on how aqua fortis does little for most common walnut. i just did a GPR european walnut stock with full strength wiped on laurel mountain forge stain "american walnut", then 8 rubbed-in coats of TOTW original oil finish (linseed oil with dryers). i really love how it rendered a very olde tyme finish.

http://i.imgur.com/VU7Xei5.jpg

Eddie Southgate
12-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Use to drop steel wool in nitric acid and mop that on after it eats the wool up . Same difference but do it outside .

Eddie

johnson1942
12-24-2016, 06:36 PM
leather dye and chromium trioxide, nothing brings out the beauty of the grain in wood like these two. soak them in, let dry well and wash them off with water, let dry and finish with your favorite oil finish.

birddog 6
12-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. That is a nice looking rifle rfd.

swheeler
12-24-2016, 06:58 PM
I think it works so well on maple because the Nitric acid reacts with the sugar in the maple wood.