PDA

View Full Version : Colt Lightning clones?

AbitNutz
12-23-2016, 12:59 PM
I happen to like slide action rifles with a hammer. Unfortunately they're few and far between. In centerfire, they are pretty much restricted to Colt Lightning clones. They also appear to have problems associated with them. Colt Lightnings were not the most robust of designs to start with and done poorly I suspect they could be very breakage prone.

I can get a Taurus Thunderbolt for about $500
Or I can get a Pedersoli for about $1,500
Or I can get a Uberti for about a $1,000

I have a Pedersoli Sharps and it's a really nice rifle so I suspect their clone would be OK. However, the Taurus is really priced right but I've never owned a Taurus and know nothing of them, especially this one.

Can anyone shed light and opinions on these clones or Taurus?

Eddie Southgate
12-23-2016, 02:45 PM
I want one myself but have yet to buy one . Buy one of the Italians .

Eddie

pietro
12-23-2016, 03:11 PM

IIRC, it depends upon the chambering, Because AFAIK the bore size of one of the repro's chamberings (,44-40 ? .45 Colt? I dis-remember which ) was out of spec (too big, too small - I can't remember).

Google the issue, or chat with somebody @ CAS - since the Cowboy shooters are the folks who found out about the issue.

The only Taurus worth buying IMHO is a Model 92, and then only because if a stinker is procured, their issues are easily rectified with a only little bit of work.

dubber123
12-23-2016, 03:39 PM
I paid more than that for a Taurus Thunderbolt. After the immediate trip back to their "Repair/kick it around the shop/gouge a few screws/fix NOTHING shop", Which incidentally took 6 months, I traded it for a used Rem 700 with a $300 price tag on it. It was a great trade. I'd like another, but it will likely be a Uberti.

Geezer in NH
12-23-2016, 04:01 PM
We sold some of the Taurus clones back when I owned part of a shop. They were JUNK even at $500 I would pass. Taurus is the worst company for quality and service IMHO and after that problem we would no longer sell that brand even on order.

AbitNutz
12-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Wow...sounds like this thread has saved me about $500 in cash and an untold amount in aggravation. Dealing with a poor product and unresponsive company is the worst.

gandydancer
12-23-2016, 09:29 PM
Go with the pedersoli. of all the Clone makers they are the best IMHO.

AbitNutz
12-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Go with the pedersoli. of all the Clone makers they are the best IMHO.I have a Lyman 1878, which is a Sharps 1877, made by Pedersoli...that is a fine rifle indeed, all forged and a cut rifled barrel.

Now here's a funny part. There must be a bunch of different variations that affect the price pretty drastically. There is one version on sale that is a $1079 from a big box hunting store. From there they jump to $1,500 to $2,000. I have no idea what the difference between them....

pietro
12-23-2016, 11:33 PM
I have a Lyman 1878, which is a Sharps 1877, made by Pedersoli...that is a fine rifle indeed, all forged and a cut rifled barrel.

Now here's a funny part. There must be a bunch of different variations that affect the price pretty drastically. There is one version on sale that is a $1079 from a big box hunting store. From there they jump to $1,500 to $2,000. I have no idea what the difference between them....

The difference is that some will cost a buyer more........... ;)