PDA

View Full Version : A grab bag - M1886, 475 Turnbull, tang sights & cast bullets

Naphtali
06-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I have a friend who will be receiving from Doug Turnbull in a few weeks a USRAC/Winchester M1886 takedown rifle in 475 Turnbull. I am delaying making a decision on having mine converted until I take a look at what his 475 does.

Can 475 Turnbull brass be made by fire forming Winchester 348 WCF brass -- that is, will case be correctly dimensioned rather than shorter than it should be?
I am aware of three methods to enhance the ability of hard cast bullets to have controlled expansion: Veral's method of casting-welding a hard base to a soft precast nose; hollow pointing; and differentially heat treating a homogenous bullet to have softer nose.

Among the methods to obtain controlled expansion from hard cast bullets, does one method stand above the others? Is there a reliable method I omitted?
Were the USRAC/Winchester M1886 firing mechanism to be converted to non-rebounding hammer, without tang safety, and with one-piece firing pin, would hammer down on loaded chamber be safe? Is the firing pin an inertia one like the M1911 pistol?
I've never seen a tang sight on a traditional lever action actually used. Would a tang sight for a M1886 be hit by the rear of the breech bolt during the reloading cycle? Would heavy recoil cause the tang sight to hit my spectacles?

Who bead blasts and electroless nickels springs? The company I used to use for the service is no longer in business.

JDL
06-21-2008, 09:37 PM
You didn't say what velocity your boolits were running but, plain old wheelweights do right well down to around 1600 fps.
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Would a tang sight for a M1886 be hit by the rear of the breech bolt during the reloading cycle? Would heavy recoil cause the tang sight to hit my spectacles?
I don't know about the bolt hitting the sight but, Elmer Keith told of an incident where a lady's eye was blinded by shooting up a high angle hill with a tang sight.
JDL

Naphtali
06-22-2008, 12:51 PM
You didn't say what velocity your boolits were running but, plain old wheelweights do right well down to around 1600 fps.
Would a tang sight for a M1886 be hit by the rear of the breech bolt during the reloading cycle? Would heavy recoil cause the tang sight to hit my spectacles?
I don't know about the bolt hitting the sight but, Elmer Keith told of an incident where a lady's eye was blinded by shooting up a high angle hill with a tang sight.
JDLJDL:

Regarding velocities, my goal is 440-465-grain FNGC @ 1700-1750 fps, almost certainly an LBT. Were it to feed reliably, I would prefer WFN to LFN. But I'm informed WFNs feed in lever actions is twitchy. The velocity range is a nearly perfect fit for my hunting area. It will limit me to 125 yards maximum range. And that's about as far as I can easily distinguish my target. I've been using bows and handguns. I seek "improved handgun range" because big bores and my arthritic hands are getting along less well than they should.

I think you've successfully eliminated tang sights from the query list. Not surprised . . . disappointed.