PDA

View Full Version : another glock followed me home

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2016, 05:06 AM
new glock 19 is in the safe. Don't know why. I already have 7 9mms but allways wanted a 19 to keep the 23 company.

6bg6ga
12-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Well Lloyd I don't know what to say other than you deserve to treat yourself occasionally. I think the 19 would be a good companion when taking the Vett out for a spin in the hood. Merry Christmas buddy.

Petrol & Powder
12-23-2016, 08:53 AM
The Glock 19 is an incredible tool. It is compact enough to be easy to carry and yet large enough to be easy to shoot. It holds a lot of rounds, functions beautifully and will get the job done.
I've always admired the Glock 19 as being one of the best all-around combat pistols. The SIG 228 comes close and there are a few others that are in the same size/weight class but the G19 really pulls all of the best qualities together.

6bg6ga
12-23-2016, 09:13 AM
A Glock is like a Timex watch as it takes a licken and keeps on ticken. Glock 19 completes a trip thru the hood.

mozeppa
12-23-2016, 09:49 AM
some people like liver.:kidding:

FergusonTO35
12-23-2016, 02:41 PM
A 19 was my first Glock, a 26 and 42 soon followed. Good guns, my favorite part is how cheap and readily available OEM and aftermarket parts are for them.

dverna
12-23-2016, 07:47 PM
I once thought I would never have a plastic gun.....now I have a number and love them. They will never shoot like my Kimbers but for their intended purpose, they have my vote.

BTW, getting a Glock 22 and adding a 9mm conversion barrel and mags allows shooting two calibers on one frame without a huge expense. There are even .357 Sig conversions available. But you cannot buy a 19 and change calibers.

Don Verna

Plate plinker
12-23-2016, 07:51 PM
The 19 is a load of fun to shoot. Way to go.

bluelund79
12-23-2016, 08:13 PM
I'm down to 3 poly pistols, and the 19 will be the last to go. It flat out works. I don't carry mine near as much anymore, but I don't hesitate to grab it when I do take it out.

6bg6ga
12-24-2016, 07:58 AM
As with any Glocks the first thing you want to do is change the connector to a 3 or 3.5 lb unit and then replace the block with one that has adjustable over travel adjustment. I changed my model 23 in less than 5 minutes to something capable of making a 1.5- 2" group easily. The 19 is easier to shoot and doesn't have the tendency to shoot to the right like the shorter grip 23. The 23 as you know is a challenge to shoot correctly and certainly no match for a good 1911. Install a good Lone Wolf barrel and shoot lead thru her and be surprised with the accuracy its capable of.

Petrol & Powder
12-24-2016, 09:16 AM
Or just leave it stock and shoot it.

Glocks work just fine right out of the box.

6bg6ga
12-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Or just leave it stock and shoot it.Glocks work just fine right out of the box.They work even better with some aftermarket parts. Zev Technologies produces some very fine aftermarket parts and the fun thing about a Glock is they can be turned back to original in less than 5 minutes.

W.R.Buchanan
12-24-2016, 07:03 PM
The G23 and G19 are the same frame. You can change a 23 to shoot 9MM but it doesn't work the other way around. I know the ZEV guys as they are located near me. I haven't used any of their parts as I don't see them as real upgrades, they are just more expensive. They couldn't convince me that a striker with holes in it adds benefit to a gun.

I ran into another company making Glock Parts yesterday that is also local to me, and they are "Agency Arms" www.AgencyArms.com (http://www.AgencyArms.com) They have a really nice trigger that uses all stock internal parts but can be adjusted.

They also do some cool slide machining and make barrels as well. I got to fondle one of their G23's that one of the guys carries daily and I have to tell you the gun felt really nice in my hands. Their stippling process is the best I've seen anywhere and looks to be done on a CNC Machine, and they also have a nice unobtrusive Mag Well which I wouldn't mind having.

I generally don't care much for Aftermarket Glock Internal Parts mainly because virtually every one I've installed has failed. I set up my guns with a Glock Extended Slide Catch, an Extended Mag Release and Dawson Sights, and quit right there. I had poor luck with the 3.5 lb Connector and went to the 5 lb one which improved my shooting greatly.

The great thing about these guns is that there is a lot of room for self expression and plenty of stuff to do it with, but If I was pinned down someplace and a bone stock Glock came sliding across the floor to me, I'd be pretty happy!

Randy

garym1a2
12-24-2016, 07:22 PM
All I can say about About aftermarket internal parts in the watch out for springs. I have 2 Glocks (G21, G22) go down due to trigger return spring failures, one of those in a USPSA match. I like the 3.5lb Gost connectors in all four of my Glocks. The rest of my G19 is stock.

Lloyd Smale
12-25-2016, 06:15 AM
I leave them stock anymore. Like some others I had troubles with my first two after doing trigger work on them. I don't use them for competition shooting and don't need a 3lb trigger on them. They are self defense guns that might do double duty knocking down beer cans. Same goes for my M&Ps and the few other black guns I own. they were never intended to be target guns. The beauty in them is just that they go bang EVERY time you pull the trigger.

FergusonTO35
12-25-2016, 10:50 AM
I roll with factory parts and a thorough polishing job. My fine motor skills are pretty bad, a light trigger pull isn't going to do me any favors. On all my guns, I do best with a very smooth and repeatable pull somewhat on the heavy side. It's pretty easy to make a Glock do this.

Petrol & Powder
12-25-2016, 11:01 AM
I leave them stock and have never had one fail.

6bg6ga
12-25-2016, 11:14 AM
I leave them stock and have never had one fail.Keep in mind there are a lot of modified Glocks out there that work perfectly. Stock doesn't necessarily mean its a better more reliable gun. As for the 3.5-3 lb trigger.... to each his own. I personally wouldn't own or carry a stock Glock because I cannot live with all the slop in the trigger mechanism unless I throw in some aftermarket parts. Again that is just me. Like them stock? Then leave them stock but let others do what they wish without the condemnation associated with changing the stock parts.

osteodoc08
12-25-2016, 01:10 PM
I have personally preferred the M&P line, especially the Pro Series. It has a better trigger than their standard, night sights and a stippled rubbery grip. 4.25" barrel, 7.5" long and 27.7 ounces

That being said, the G19 is the quintessential Glock pistol. Goldilocks pistol if you will. Not too big, not too small. I've eyed one for years but couldn't justify it with the M&P in the stable already. 4.01" barrel, 7.36" length and 23.65 ounces

Petrol & Powder
12-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Keep in mind there are a lot of modified Glocks out there that work perfectly. Stock doesn't necessarily mean its a better more reliable gun. As for the 3.5-3 lb trigger.... to each his own. I personally wouldn't own or carry a stock Glock because I cannot live with all the slop in the trigger mechanism unless I throw in some aftermarket parts. Again that is just me. Like them stock? Then leave them stock but let others do what they wish without the condemnation associated with changing the stock parts.

It's you gun, do what you please but I haven't seen evidence that spending more money on aftermarket Glock parts does anything other than make your wallet lighter.

W.R.Buchanan
12-25-2016, 10:22 PM
I have two different Glock Gunsmithing Videos, and I am a machinist so doing metal work is kind of what I do. The problem I ran into with polishing the Trigger Bar is that the trigger bar is plated with Electroless Nickel and then baked. This yields a surface hardness in the Mid 70's Rc. This is good! and a very inexpensive way to make hardened parts. However that plating is less than .0005 thick!, and it can be erased in a millisecond with a Dremel tool.

After three new trigger assys I stopped doing that. My bro in law has a G22 that has 20K + rounds thru it and he never did anything to it and the trigger is still in tact.

The main points of wear are the sear and the finger on the striker that the sear rubs on. These parts wear together in only a few hundred cycles so polishing them is great for the short term but after you start shooting you have already worn off an bunch of the life of the parts. Luckily they aren't that expensive to replace, but if you don't mess with them they will wear in just fine and you get much better life out of them.

I will eventually have my wasted parts replated and cooked and they should last forever.

Springs are the other loser. I ran several Brownell's Spring Kits in my G21. They all failed and now it has the original stock springs back in it and about 3000 rounds on them. You kind of need to change out the recoil spring every 5000 rounds as they do get weak.

I dry fire my guns more than I shoot them but they are usually totally clean when I am doing this. After I fire 400-800 rounds at a Front Sight Class I completely strip them and clean everything and re-lubricate the ways and trigger bar and all the pivot points. Then they are good to go until the next time they get shot a lot. Repeat.

I am pretty fond of these pistols and consider them to be the best combat sidearm out there. I currently have a G35 a G21SF and a G36 which I haven't gotten to shoot very much yet. I am looking for a used G23 also. All are set up the same way which I outlined in an above post. I plan on getting a stock 9MM barrel for the G23 so I can run 9MM ammo, and I am pretty sure the .40 mags will work just fine with 9MM ammo. I have loaded 9mm rounds into my G35 mags and the hold onto the rounds just fine. A little higher than stock but that just means they don't have to tilt up as much to find the hole.

That way I would be good to go using that gun as a bug out gun, with the option of two kinds of ammo and only have to carry a second barrel to accomplish that end. I will see when I get it how all this works. Too much BS out there on the subject to make an intelligent statement about it before I do it myself.

This is my .02 on this subject and I don't condemn anyone for doing something different. My reasoning is that it's your gun and you can do whatever you want with it. Except shoot me! :mrgreen:

Randy

Lloyd Smale
12-26-2016, 05:12 AM
kind of funny. I have 4 M&Ps and love them. They fit my had better then any glock and run as well. But that said if anything they have an even worse trigger then a glock.
I have personally preferred the M&P line, especially the Pro Series. It has a better trigger than their standard, night sights and a stippled rubbery grip. 4.25" barrel, 7.5" long and 27.7 ounces

That being said, the G19 is the quintessential Glock pistol. Goldilocks pistol if you will. Not too big, not too small. I've eyed one for years but couldn't justify it with the M&P in the stable already. 4.01" barrel, 7.36" length and 23.65 ounces

nicholst55
12-26-2016, 05:53 AM
kind of funny. I have 4 M&Ps and love them. They fit my had better then any glock and run as well. But that said if anything they have an even worse trigger then a glock.

I feel the same about the ergonomics of the S&W M&P-series psitols.The out-of-the-box trigger on an M&P is truly a horrible thing, but a $35~ish Apex sear makes a HUGE difference - much more so than a corresponding amount of aftermarket Glock trigger parts. I only own one Glock at the moment, and figure that's probably enough. I had to leave it (and all my other guns) in the States while I'm in Korea, anyway.

6bg6ga
12-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Actually articles suggest running the G19 mags with the G23 with the 9mm barrel. I've got a lone Wolf 9mm stainless barrel in mine along with the 9mm mags. I tried the 40 mags and encountered sereral screw up when feeding the 9mm in them.

osteodoc08
12-26-2016, 10:13 AM
I feel the same about the ergonomics of the S&W M&P-series psitols.The out-of-the-box trigger on an M&P is truly a horrible thing, but a $35~ish Apex sear makes a HUGE difference - much more so than a corresponding amount of aftermarket Glock trigger parts. I only own one Glock at the moment, and figure that's probably enough. I had to leave it (and all my other guns) in the States while I'm in Korea, anyway.

The early MP triggers were horrible. The Pro series reportedly use Apex sear from the factory however never was able to confirm this.

FergusonTO35
12-26-2016, 01:31 PM
I wonder if anybody makes a true single action trigger mechanism for the Glock? Seems like the pull would clean up a lot without all the creep that comes from pulling the striker back before it discharges.

fivegunner
12-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Lloyd are you going to change the sites on you new 19? maybe a night site? check out the TG-H3 night sites from I think from Tru-Glow. Their Green , Bright and tuff. I kind of like them .

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2016, 05:33 PM
I wonder if anybody makes a true single action trigger mechanism for the Glock? Seems like the pull would clean up a lot without all the creep that comes from pulling the striker back before it discharges.

One of the strengths of the Glock design is its LACK of a manual safety. The partially preloaded striker combined with a passive firing pin block allows for safe carry with a loaded round. The trade off is that requires a longer trigger stroke to fully retract the striker and disengage the firing pin block. Some type of SA trigger conversion would likely need the addition of a manual safety.

The Glocks are capable of more than enough accuracy for their intended role (they are capable of better accuracy than most shooters can extract out of them) but I don't think they were ever intended to be fine target pistols.

One of the many reasons these threads inevitably descend into Glock vs. ________(fill in the blank) debates, is that the Glock system was rather unique when it came out. It doesn't conveniently compare to other systems.

YES, some gun designs have better SA triggers but they also require manual safeties.
YES, some guns have DA/SA operation and don't require manual safeties for the first round.
YES, some guns have better DAO triggers..............The comparisons never end but the comparisons are never on equal footing to start with.

Glocks are DIFFERENT. There's just no getting around that fact.

As a combat pistol, the Glock has a LOT going for it. It's extremely reliable. It's durable. It's simple. It Works.

Loudenboomer
12-27-2016, 12:00 AM
A retired police sgt. buddy is always telling me. Show your friends your Kimber. Show your enemy your Glock. :)

9.3X62AL
12-27-2016, 12:48 AM
This year has meant the disposition of about a dozen firearms, and the addition of 3 to the herd. 2 were Glocks, both in 10mm. They will get cleaned, fired, cleaned, and carried. Box-stock internals. That friend of Loudenboomer's nailed it. Glocks WORK.

Lloyd Smale
12-27-2016, 05:54 AM
Probably not. Ive got a number of black guns and 1911s with night sights already. this will be more of a kick around in the woods gun. If anything I might upgrade to steel sights. Ive done that on most of my glocks.
Lloyd are you going to change the sites on you new 19? maybe a night site? check out the TG-H3 night sites from I think from Tru-Glow. Their Green , Bright and tuff. I kind of like them .

W.R.Buchanan
12-27-2016, 03:50 PM
I personally like Dawson Sights and have them on 2 of my Glocks. I have the green dot in the Front Sights now as it shows up better in the sun and low light.

Randy

taco650
12-27-2016, 09:08 PM
A retired police sgt. buddy is always telling me. Show your friends your Kimber. Show your enemy your Glock. :)

Love this!

I used to think Glocks were ugly and just plain weird. However, after getting to policing, I've realized they are a great tool, not fancy but always work and when you're rolling the mean streets every day, reliability is king in my book. The G19 & G23is a great size too for everyday carry. I really only wish Glock made a pistol with the 19/23 size frame and 34/35 length barrel.

9.3X62AL
12-27-2016, 11:32 PM
The 19/23 size range is a gap in the 10mm and 45 ACP Glock lineup that is in need of filling. Gotta say--the Glock 29 (sub-compact 10mm) is AMAZING how it handles recoil, even Silvertip-level loads (175 grains @ 1150 FPS). VERY comfortable to fire, deliberate- or rapid-fire. I meant to warm up the G-20 on Friday, but the range site was closed due to inclement weather. Buncha sissy-la-las, it's just rain.

Lloyd Smale
12-28-2016, 01:04 PM
sure agree with you there. Id buy a 45 and a 10mm if they made it in the 19/23 size
The 19/23 size range is a gap in the 10mm and 45 ACP Glock lineup that is in need of filling. Gotta say--the Glock 29 (sub-compact 10mm) is AMAZING how it handles recoil, even Silvertip-level loads (175 grains @ 1150 FPS). VERY comfortable to fire, deliberate- or rapid-fire. I meant to warm up the G-20 on Friday, but the range site was closed due to inclement weather. Buncha sissy-la-las, it's just rain.

W.R.Buchanan
12-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Love this!

I used to think Glocks were ugly and just plain weird. However, after getting to policing, I've realized they are a great tool, not fancy but always work and when you're rolling the mean streets every day, reliability is king in my book. The G19 & G23is a great size too for everyday carry. I really only wish Glock made a pistol with the 19/23 size frame and 34/35 length barrel.

Taco: a G34 barrel will go right in a G19 and work just fine. If you want the slide on there it will interchange as well. The grip will be a little short but all a G34 is, is a G17 with a different slide and barrel. G19 is just a little shorter in the slide and barrel and a little shorter grip. and the G26 is just shorter yet. All the Fire Control and Breech details are the same.

There are two basic sizes of frames the 9MM/.40 and the 10MM/.45. The G36 is unique as it is a single stack .45 and so the grip is thinner than the G21 or 21SF

I personally don't like the G26 size grip as I can only get 2 fingers wrapped around it. but there are magazine extensions and spacers available that allow the use of G19 or G17 length magazines in the compact guns which yield the same length grip as the larger guns but keep the short barrel. You can actually hit stuff with these guns and you get the added benefit of 13-15 rounds on board.

Pearce makes a bunch of different ones.

I got a magazine extension for my G36 which is a single stack G30/.45 ACP. It is supposed to increase the Mag Capacity to 7 but it doesn't work, too much spring tension causes feed problems so I only load 6. But the extra length makes that gun handle really well and I can hit stuff with it on demand.

Once you get the gun up in front of your face (rear of gun @12" from eye) it becomes much easier to focus on the Front Sight and Concentrate on your trigger control and really start hitting the target, but if your grip stinks this is all for naught. The extra length helps with the short guns. The G19 length grip is nearly perfect.

Randy

9.3X62AL
12-28-2016, 03:32 PM
I have the Pearce finger-hook baseplates on my G-29 mags. They do a bit better job of helping the little finger get a purchase on the pistol butt, but the exhilarating recoil of the Silvertip-level loadings could benefit greatly from about 1/3"-1/2" of length extension. By Round 4 to Round 5 in shot string, the little finger is pretty much "in the air" more than on the hook. By Round 4-5 in a real-world exchange of finality, though--things should de-escalate somewhat if I do my part. I do adore the 10mm.

taco650
12-28-2016, 11:26 PM
W.R.,

I also have a G27 and one day I took the slide/barrel assembly of my work-issued G17 and put on the 27 frame just to see if it would work. It didn't. I didn't try to fire it this way and the gun was empty but I couldn't get it to move on the 27 frame. Both guns are Gen 4 series. It looked cool but was not a viable option. I realize the 19/23 frame is longer and the "guts" are more likely to be in the same place as on the 17/22.

I've also learned to shoot my G27 with the standard magazine and no extension. The short grip takes some getting used to, especially with hot 40 loads but it's doable. I like the short frame for concealment, just wish I had more barrel for a better sight picture for my 53 year old eyes. Eventually I'd like to get some fiber optic sights for it.

W.R.Buchanan
12-29-2016, 06:36 PM
My son has a G27 also and I will try it a see what is going on. He got the Pearce Mag Spacers for the 15 round mags and uses his G35/22 mags in his G27. They also have them for G23 mags which are a little shorter.

These are an inexpensive way to increase your rounds on board, and carrying the gun with the short mag in it and if needed have the longer mags in reserve for your Reloads.

There is no longer alternative for the G36 and the mag extension will swallow 7 rounds but it won't compress the top round far enough down into the mag to allow the slide to cycle over it. Thus it won't work for 7 rounds but with 6 it still makes the gun much easier to hold onto than without it.

If I carried this gun it would be loaded with 6+1 and I'd have 3 6 round mags as backup that's 25 total Whereas with a G19 I could have 30 rounds with only one in the gun and one on the belt.

Randy