PDA

View Full Version : desert eagle?

Oklahoma Rebel
12-22-2016, 11:49 PM
saw a few desert eagles on gubroker, they were chambered in 44 magnum. does anyone know if these guns are accurate and reliable? I would assume so, they are Israeli made, and those guys know their stuff. but I wanted to hear from you guys what you thought. and like I said, if someone has one, a review would be awesome

gunarea
12-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Hey Oklahoma Rebel
Both the Desert Eagle and Lone Eagle in 44 mag are accurate. The Desert Eagle can be finicky with reloads below magnum level. Factory stuff is reliable but accuracy is sketchy depending on brand. Either one yields high accuracy with careful reloading and testing. The Desert Eagle is a big handgun and difficult for smaller hands. Recoil is easy to control in either for a person with larger hands and longer fingers. Magnum research is very clear on a touchy subject though, do any trigger work and warranty is gone, period. The triggers are the only suckie part of them. Desert Eagle recoil includes a torsion twist along with rise and reward force. Not uncontrollable but it will be noticed. Better find one to hold before buying. Other than an attention getter, I didn't find anything exceptional in function to be gained. Best use I found was to hand it over to a fellow competitor and ruin his trigger control, at least temporarily. HTH
Roy

44man
12-23-2016, 10:08 AM
The DE is more accurate then you think. Big, heavy hunk of steel of course. WAY overbuilt but it works. Might be the only semi for mags that never fails.

mcdaniel.mac
12-23-2016, 01:21 PM
I liked mine, but even with reasonably big mitts the thing was too big for me in a .44 Mag. .357 would be the way to go IMO.

A Lone Eagle would see me willing to sell a number of things. That cannon breach is a sweet thing to behold.

Whistler
12-25-2016, 02:46 PM
My Desert Eagle Mark I shot cloverleafs att 150 yards.
If load cast, make the bullets as Hard as possible and use gas checks. The Lee 310gn works great, shot many thousands of it with hot charges of N105 or N110.

GONRA
12-28-2016, 06:54 PM
GONRA's olde .44 Mag Desert Eagle info - hope its still current? ???

JACKETED BULLETS ONLY to avoid crapping up gas system with
cast bullet "lead debris". (Once gas system is messed up, yer dead.)

Mine hasa Timmney Trigger Job (no longer available?)
Back in the Good Olde Days (decades YOUNGER)
shot bullseye (onehand) like a target pistol.

Oklahoma Rebel
12-28-2016, 08:16 PM
why cant you clean the gas system, like on rifles (ak,SKS,AR)?

blademasterii
12-28-2016, 08:31 PM
The barrel and shroud are I believe pressed into each other resulting in a one piece assembly with the gas tube integrated into it. There is no way to take it apart to access the system. Acts like a single shot when clogged, magnum research will clean it for a fee. There are solvents that can be used, but most are not healthy to you so are probably not recommended. I have a XIX .44 and love it. Shoots fantastic. and the lee 310g pc gc boolits are HAMMERS.

OuchHot!
12-28-2016, 09:28 PM
I have had one in .44m for quite a long time with no trouble. It is very accurate and reliable. As has been said, it has a very long trigger reach. My trigger has some creep but is consistent. This thing weighs as much as a M94 carbine and that raises the question as to what it really is as a gun. For me, maybe a conversation piece. I have a red dot on it that has survived many recoil cycles. At 100yds, it does better than my eyes can do with a m94 and open sights. It is very accurate. I think that a sling would work for carry.

adcoch1
12-28-2016, 09:36 PM
The 44 i had was very accurate, but also a lot heavier than my ruger redhawk. A lot of fun to shoot, but as has been said, what's it really good for that other guns cant do better? The Israelis used them for barrier penetration in a short package. They do that job well, just don't fall in deep water with it strapped to you... That said i would love to build a stock for one and SBR it.

Mica_Hiebert
12-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Shot one once, had more reverse recoil from the slide returning to battery than from the gun going off. Seemed to be fairly accurate but hit 6 inches high at 30 yards. The guy who owned it said they are zeroed for 100 yards and I believe the sights where fixed if memory serves me correctly.

rockrat
12-28-2016, 10:51 PM
I have shot some cast thru mine, but every 20rnds or so, I would shoot a few jacketed thru it.

Oklahoma Rebel
12-29-2016, 07:07 PM
hmmm... thanks guys,. I think I am still going with the ruger super black hawk bisley 44magw/7.5 in barrel.i've wanted one for well over a year now, wont find out about a settlement till jan 31st. we'll see. I just wrote a thread asking about high velocity loads in the ww mag, its got a pic of the noe boolit I was thinking would be good for it

44man
12-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Have you shot a Bisley yet? I bought a SBH Hunter and in 2 weeks it was gone, beat my knuckle and was sensitive to hold. Friend bought a Hunter in the hog leg and it is much more accurate. I fell off the Bisley train long ago.

44man
12-31-2016, 10:14 AM
I have shot some cast thru mine, but every 20rnds or so, I would shoot a few jacketed thru it.
What does that do? The gas passage of the DE is indeed a mystery. How does a jacketed clear it?

blademasterii
12-31-2016, 10:27 AM
It is not so much a cleaner as a shock blast. Sort of used to try to blow out the passage so it doesn't clog.183894

44man
12-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Might work but how they made that stinking hole is not right.

Oklahoma Rebel
12-31-2016, 04:46 PM
no, just held them, I don't know anyone that has either to let me try

OuchHot!
01-02-2017, 05:53 PM
I have to say, the gas port gives me the hebie jeebies. I prefer cast boolits but am sparing of them in my DE. J types have gotten unreasonably expensive......I don't shoot the DE much anymore.