PDA

View Full Version : Lever Action Take Down.

Hickory
12-22-2016, 08:38 AM
Does anyone know a gunsmith who will do a takedown lever gun?

12-22-2016, 08:58 AM
No, but several years ago NRA published a tutorial on it. Many years ago. Don't think I still have a copy of it, but I'll check.

seppos
12-22-2016, 10:35 AM
If I remember right turnbull restoration did some.. yep.. http://www.turnbullmfg.com/restoration-services/winchester-lever-action-upgrades/

S
(http://www.turnbullmfg.com/restoration-services/winchester-lever-action-upgrades/)

rancher1913
12-22-2016, 10:45 AM
there is a 357mag being made currently, its called the alaskan take down and is made by chippawa. maybe the have other calibers.

Hickory
12-22-2016, 10:54 AM
there is a 357mag being made currently, its called the alaskan take down and is made by chippawa. maybe the have other calibers.

I don't want a shinny nickel finish, I'd take the black hard chrome that they offer on their 22 RF, but they don't offer it on the Alaskan.
Chippewa has the skinner trapper that is every thing that I want except it's not a takedown.

DoubleAdobe
12-22-2016, 12:00 PM
I know that it is off subject somewhat, but I recently got to see a Savage Mod. 99 in a pretty weak early caliber that I forget right now.
It had either been shortened somewhat to carry more easily in a saddle scabbard or someone had for some reason taken off the front sight.
However, the front sight had been replaced with about half of a dime sized Mexican coin, soldered on the barrel.
And it was a take down, the first 99 I had ever seen as such.
It had spent most of it's life in Sonora, Mexico.

ETA- I looked it up and it was chambered for the 22 Savage Hi-Power. I had done a little research back a while and see that it is a fairly popular European caliber in its metric equivalent.Based upon the .25/.35 Winchester round.

seppos
12-22-2016, 12:45 PM
I saw a week ago a Remington model 6. It was found from the attic of very old house. Really neat little .22. Wish to have such clever designs nowdays too.

S

junkbug
12-22-2016, 06:09 PM
In the past, I walked away from stainless steel gun. Today I would not. There are many really good spray on finishes that closely mimic blued steel, I would give it a go if I saw a stainless steel gun I otherwise liked.

Multigunner
12-22-2016, 06:55 PM
The .22 Savage Hi-Power is a long way from being a weak cartridge. If not for its odd .228 bullet diameter it would probably still be a hot selling round.

Take down rifles first became popular in the USA with hunters who lived in a city in the days before personal automobiles became common and had to travel by street car and train to get to their favorite hunting grounds.

pietro
12-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know a gunsmith who will do a takedown lever gun ?

Google can be YOUR friend: http://www.thearmsroom.com/id3.html

Hickory
12-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Google can be YOUR friend: http://www.thearmsroom.com/id3.html

This is what I'm looking for.
I do a lot of traveling on a motorcycle and to places where a handgun is a no-no.
this should serve me well.
Thanks

DoubleAdobe
12-24-2016, 11:10 PM
The .22 Savage Hi-Power is a long way from being a weak cartridge. If not for its odd .228 bullet diameter it would probably still be a hot selling round.

Take down rifles first became popular in the USA with hunters who lived in a city in the days before personal automobiles became common and had to travel by street car and train to get to their favorite hunting grounds.

Point well taken. I have since done some reading about it and have found out more about it. I since read that it was touted at the time as being the new wonder caliber, and since been somewhat compared to the now almost defunct .222.
I have had one of those since the early 70's, and still have the old Lee Loader my brother gave me to reload with. Sorry for speaking out of turn about the .22 Hi-Power, I am going to do my best to trade this feller out of that rifle, haha.

W.R.Buchanan
12-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Wow That guys guns are nice! there is another guy named David Clay who did Marlin Takedowns and his system was adjustable for wear. He is not easy to get ahold of, try going thru XS Sights to contact him.

I looked at doing these for my own use and probably will some day. If you study the different takedown solutions from Marlin and Winchester you can get an idea of how this is normally done.

But I have to tell you the guy at Armsroom does some pretty nice work. I doubt these guns are in anyway inexpensive. I would hazard a gusess that you are looking at $4000 easily.

Brian Pearce had a Marlin 44 Magnum done by David Clay it took 3 years and cost him $3600+ and that was 6-8 years ago.

This kind of work is not cheap!

Good luck and we all want to see what you end up with.

Randy

Greg S
12-28-2016, 01:59 AM
Go to gunbroker and look at Chiappa levers. I have a friend with one in 44 mag and I've got an 18" 45-70.

Wild West guns in Anchorage, AK will hook your Marlin up for 6 bills last I loooked.

Other custom smiths will also do the work. Factory is cheaper in the long run.

RugerFan
12-28-2016, 02:46 AM
Yes, Wild West Guns has their "Co-Pilot" option. Pricey, but very nice.

https://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns/ak-co-pilot/