PDA

View Full Version : over-shiny finish

hiram
12-21-2016, 06:43 PM
I recently got a Beretta Jetfire in 25 acp. The sights are not adjustable.

The firearm is polished to a high shine. The sights are very difficult to aim with. The sight picture changes depending on the angle of light shining on the firearm. The front sight practically cannot be seen.

I think that if I dull the shine, aiming will be easier. Any ideas on how to dull the sights? Any other ideas?

Thanks

waksupi
12-21-2016, 07:16 PM
Aren't those more of a point and click personal interface, like across the card table guns? I think the sights are there more as an indicator of the general direction in which to point the gun. I suppose if I was going to try and dull them, I would take a Q-tip, and put on some type of rust solution, to try and oxidize the sights a bit.

Geezer in NH
12-21-2016, 07:55 PM
Tape off and use Rustoleum matte black paint. Wears spray again.

Sanchez
12-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Apply a short strip of dull black electrician's tape.

mcdaniel.mac
12-23-2016, 01:09 PM
If it's just a range toy, sight black would work: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-insert-kits/sight-black-prod57188.aspx

If it's to be carried, a refinish of the slide may be in order.

MostlyLeverGuns
12-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Walmart Nail Polish Department - lots of colors - flat black to sparkles, bright colors in flat and high gloss, dry fast, cheap, fairly durable, haven't tried the sparkles, but bright greens, reds, oranges and yellows all work on the front

Blackwater
12-23-2016, 03:05 PM
I have a friend who used to carry little .25's way back in his youth, and he shot a lot of stuff with them. Many snakes, once in SD, and even shot a flying duck with one once. The guy with him wasn't a mental giant. He'd been carrying it in his shirt pocket. When a couple of woodies came in squalling at dusk, the friend told my buddy, mostly teasing, "Take out that lead one for me, Jimmie!" Being game, Jim whipped out the little, cheap .25, and swung it out in front, and pulled the trigger. Duck folded and hit the water hard. They went over to retrieve it, and the buddy said, "Why didn't you take the other one. I've got a big family, ya' know?" To this day, that guy thinks Jim can take out flying ducks at will with whatever handgun he happens to have close at hand! It'd be a shame to spoil his illusions!

So little guns CAN be useful, and surprisingly accurate at close range, even enough to take snakes' heads off. But seeing the sights is paramount with any gun, and maybe even more so with the little ones. What to do with the sights depends on how you plan to use it. If it's just a casual use gun, just live with it would be my suggestion. If you plan to stake your life on it, no gun NEEDS real precision bullet placement more than the little .22's and .25's, so it's never be wasted money to have the sights removed, bead blasted and blued to a matte finish. I like a bright front sight, but not shiny. Shows up better than dull black in many circumstances, and that front sight is the key to hitting anything. If that front sight's aluminum (IIRC, the slide and front sight are one, and of aluminum?), I'd just take a very fine file or some 320 grit sandpaper, and rough it up. A matte aluminum will darken to a gray. This should make it imminently more shootable. Good luck with that .25 in SD situations, though. My buddy who used his for SD shot an attacker 3 or 4 times in the chest and it had zero effect on the bad guy. He lowered his aim to the knees, and one shot left the bad guy rolling on the ground screaming in pain. He just drove off and never heard a thing from it all.

.25's are mainly for those who want to THINK they're "protected," and don't want any loud noises or recoil to contend with. It might be a deterrent, since most folks don't want to think seriously about such things, and nobody wants to be shot with anything. But in a real fight, it's pretty pitiful unless you can brain your agressor. The knees are the next best spot to aim for. Take the knees out and you can probably run and get away. FWIW?

pietro
12-23-2016, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=MostlyLeverGuns;3885279]

Walmart Nail Polish Department - lots of colors - flat black to sparkles, bright colors in flat and high gloss, dry fast, cheap, fairly durable, haven't tried the sparkles, but bright greens, reds, oranges and yellows all work on the front[

/QUOTE]

+1

E-Z-Peazy, to apply & touch-up if/when needed.

Walter Laich
12-23-2016, 08:20 PM
I have seen tops of SS single actions sand blasted in cowboy action shooting for just the same reason as yours. Course it requires having a friend with the right equipment and is a tad more permanent than tape or nail polish but won't need to be repeated over and over