PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary NModel BH 44Mag

BlueMoon
11-02-2005, 03:52 PM
I saw a picture and write up about a limited run 50th Anv flattop Black Hawk in 44mag with 6 1/2" barrel, blued. Looked very nice but didn't say how long the cylinder was or what the chamber or forcing cone were sized to. I sure would like to have one but CB shooters would like to have some of the data they didn't show.

Bill

BlueMoon
11-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I should have put a title of Recommendations-44 Mag, because reading that post made me wonder what people thought. I guess this ones already been talked about but I wondered what CB shooters thought was the best 6-7 1/2" barreled revolver. I don't want a concealed carry gun but a straight shooter at the range or hunting that will take plenty of full loads but still shoot 44spl good. I already have a Marlin rifle in this caliber but need a handgun someday if I can afford one. I can't afford a FA. I've read with interest that Felix claims few make a good revolver anymore but if you were looking for a new one what would you look at?

Bill

felix
11-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Bill, my best advice is to go to a pawn shop who will let you buy the gun, take it home, and return it within a week if it does not shoot up to YOUR expectations. Pay the guy 10 bucks up front (in cash) for his trouble of logging the gun out, and possibly logging the gun back in. Take some unsized slugs with you to test out the cylinders and barrel, and only consider the gun that passes this local test first. ... felix

MGySgt
11-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Bill - I had had more 44mags then I care to think about - only one that I sold do I regret - 3 screw Super Blakhawk.

I currently have 3 - 629 Mountain Gun, 629 classic and the one I carry most when I am hunting, Ruger Super Blackhawk (new model), SS 4 5/8's.

I sent it down to Bowen Custom Classic's and had them do their ' Standard Trigger Job'.

The 4 5/8's has a real good balance and can swing on something moving. Handles heavy and mid range loads equally well and if you are carrying a rifle, you can use the handgun for shots out to about 60 yards.

My hunting load is a custom mold from Dan at MM - 280 gr GC with an 80% meplate that goes out at 1180 out of mine. I will not shoot this one out of my light weight 629 - too brutal, but the Ruger handles it just fine.

There are some good Supers on the used gun market, especially the 4 5/8's. A lot of people buy them and the recoil is too much for them.

You start out with mid range loads until you get use to it, the recoil isn't bad at all AFTER I put Pachmyer grips on it.

Like Felix said - go to some pawn shops or gun shops that have used guns and get the feel of what is right for you. Then go for it.

Drew

Bullshop
11-06-2005, 09:33 PM
I have a real early possibly first year XR-3 flat top 44 available if any of you fellers are interested.
BIC/BS

Char-Gar
11-06-2005, 09:48 PM
I have noted with interest these new Ruger FT 44s. I don't need one as I have a good 3 Scew SBH, a SMith 29 and a Smith 629, but they look very interesting.

This latest crop of Ruger SA pistols are really something. The 50th Annv. FT 357 Mag. has produced very good results. The new smaller frame Vaqueros the same. I bought a new Vaquero 5.5" in 45 Colt a couple of weeks ago and it is a very fine pistol. Ruger has been listening to the shooters, and my new pistol has charge hole throat .4525 - .4530 and a barrel groove of .451. The barrel is smooth and the sights well regulated. It will shoot like a house-a-fire

If this new FT44 continue in the same vein, they should be very fine handguns indeed and all a wood bumb or brush poper could ask for in an everyday packing pistol. I expect to them sell for about $450 which will be a bargin indeed.

BlueMoon
11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I like the 629s and any Ruger that will fit my large hand. I shot a very old 7 1/2" BH in 45 with a 255lswc and LilGun powder that almost jumped out of my hand. It had tiny slick wooden grips that didn't match my hand at all. And I was wondering about all the forum and magazine talk about matching the cylinder chamber to the forcing cone and barrel bore. Seems in this computer age of auto machines that it wouldn't be that hard to match the dimensions together without adding to the cost.

The pawn shops have a few bargins, maybe, if you know what to look for. I'm not that savy on used revolvers except the most common things. I'm not sure any pawn shop in sw LR would let you near the door with their gun unless they had the money in full. The gun shows I've been to around here were a joke for buying a gun unless you delt with someone walking around like you.

I've been hearing about the .357 BH and they sound good too. Do they make any in the bisley frame anymore?

Bill

BOOM BOOM
12-05-2005, 01:53 AM
HI,
I guess I'm a ruger fan. I've shot colt pythons but don't think they are worth the money. My brother George would call me a heathan for this but OH WELL . He is a lot richer than me. I've shot the colt anaconda (44) now there is a nice gun.
I've shot a bunch of S&W K frams, several N frams in 357 &44, nice.
But I still like the Ruger single & double actions better.
I've heard both good & bad about the Dan Wessons, shot only 1 , felt it was a pretty good gun.
I've heard good reports on the Taures, Got to shoot a raging bull in 454 & that was a good gun.

9.3X62AL
12-05-2005, 02:04 AM
Ruger is still listing the Bisley Blackhawk in 357 Magnum in their 2005 catalog. I have one (7.5" barrel), and I love it--accurate as can be, and I've run Lyman #358156's past 1500 FPS in the critter without a whimper. THAT would be a deer load. Throats are all .358", groove .357"......just like it's supposed to be. Ruger can get it right when they put their mind to it.