PDA

View Full Version : Made deer steaks.

44man
12-20-2016, 10:01 AM
I melted butter in my big cast iron skillet, dragged the steaks through and they seared a little. I put them on a platter and put Montreal seasoning heavy to blacken. Added a little oil and blackened the steaks. UNREAL!
We buy Omaha steaks now and then, great aged beef and I get many offers on line and in the mail. Their steak seasoning is super good too. I usually get extra bottles. Their seasoning makes deer great.
I have not hurt the seasoning in my skillets with the high heat and will not let Carol clean them. The iron is mine!
If you don't have venison, try the Omaha meat, It comes in a big cooler that works like a charm for sous vied. Carol uses a cooler in the garage for potatoes and onions, they grow in the basement.

Thumbcocker
12-20-2016, 10:04 AM
A little garlic powder, tenderizer, and black pepper before grilling over lump hardwood charcoal is awesome as well. I think most folks over cook deer.

w5pv
12-20-2016, 11:46 AM
When properly prepared venison is the best.

white eagle
12-20-2016, 12:10 PM
ya got to love it
the best there is

Ole Joe Clarke
12-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Some folks just shine a flashlight on a good steak. :-)

44man
12-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Yes, the juice was super. Grandson went nuts so he might have finished it off last night.
Carol makes all kinds of sides but the meat is where I am. I don't need the baked beans and corn but a roast tater with sour cream and butter works.

dverna
12-20-2016, 12:51 PM
44man, you are right on this one!!

don Verna

Eddie Southgate
12-20-2016, 11:26 PM
I melted butter in my big cast iron skillet, dragged the steaks through and they seared a little. I put them on a platter and put Montreal seasoning heavy to blacken. Added a little oil and blackened the steaks. UNREAL!
We buy Omaha steaks now and then, great aged beef and I get many offers on line and in the mail. Their steak seasoning is super good too. I usually get extra bottles. Their seasoning makes deer great.
I have not hurt the seasoning in my skillets with the high heat and will not let Carol clean them. The iron is mine!
If you don't have venison, try the Omaha meat, It comes in a big cooler that works like a charm for sous vied. Carol uses a cooler in the garage for potatoes and onions, they grow in the basement.

I own the cast iron at my house also . No Soap and No Scrubber pads in the pots and the bread skillet is wiped out with a paper towel only. Lard to season and lard only to cook .

Eddie

44man
12-21-2016, 10:38 AM
I own the cast iron at my house also . No Soap and No Scrubber pads in the pots and the bread skillet is wiped out with a paper towel only. Lard to season and lard only to cook .

Eddie
Lard is great, then butter. You are so right. Carol never used lard and I hate when she tosses bacon grease. If she makes bacon and eggs, I want eggs cooked in the grease. But eggs in real butter is also good.
Care of cast is important, there is nothing better but she will complain about grease on the stove. I tell her the stove is for cooking, not a show piece. Like my smoker, never try to clean it. Or the gas grill, stupid waste of time to clean. Only thing I did was buy a stainless grill with brass burners, nothing to rust. I got tired of rusted out grills.
Now the funny, my cholesterol is 340---YEAH it is. I am 79 last Sunday. Doc gave me pills, made my legs hurt. I tossed them and asked what my readings meant. My good fats are extremely high so why should I take pills? I went on line and found he gets thousands in kick backs from drug companies. I eat more butter, cheese, fats and 1/2# of bacon is a start and I will never change.
Fat and booze for me. Good beer!
Carol drinks tea only and a lot of bottled water. She complains all day, knees hurt and hands hurt, go to sleep at night and hurt. Wake up all the time with pain or dead hands.
She wants meat and eggs done to crisp and cuts off anything like fat. It has been a hard road to have her eat juicy meat. She will not admit it is better.
She read some wine is good, bought a bottle and after a few months in the fridge, I drank it.
Carol does not like egg whites, I don't know why. She does not like soft yellow either, must be a hockey puck. I want to dip the yolk so she makes mine different. Over easy just to set the white.
I get bitched at for meat red in the middle or grease on the stove. Do you know what it is like to have complaints about tough meat? I have to overcook for her to shoe leather.

CITYREPO61
12-24-2016, 10:33 PM
A little garlic powder, tenderizer, and black pepper before grilling over lump hardwood charcoal is awesome as well. I think most folks over cook deer.
Yes sir that is right. Finally just learned that lesson to not over cook venison and it makes a world of difference! Now I have buddies dropping off venison so I can cook it for them

Mytmousemalibu
12-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Hmmm, I just put 2 venison inner loins in the freezer that a buddy gave to me! This thread is very timely!

44man
12-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Hmmm, I just put 2 venison inner loins in the freezer that a buddy gave to me! This thread is very timely!

Best ever. You have a good friend.

Ramjet-SS
12-25-2016, 01:06 PM
You got it going here 44man. I use cast iron exclusively on my Big Green Egg the element of cast iron and pure hardwood Lump charcoal makes for cooking goodness. Venison is an absolute delicacy when butchered and prepared correctly. I just put on a 8.5 lb primer rib roast made with Stubbs Beef Spice rub and cooking low and slow on the Big Green Egg using my home made lump charcoal cherry and apple wood.

Merry Christmas

44man
12-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Merry Christmas my friend.

richhodg66
12-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Lard is great, then butter. You are so right. Carol never used lard and I hate when she tosses bacon grease. If she makes bacon and eggs, I want eggs cooked in the grease. But eggs in real butter is also good.
Care of cast is important, there is nothing better but she will complain about grease on the stove. I tell her the stove is for cooking, not a show piece. Like my smoker, never try to clean it. Or the gas grill, stupid waste of time to clean. Only thing I did was buy a stainless grill with brass burners, nothing to rust. I got tired of rusted out grills.
Now the funny, my cholesterol is 340---YEAH it is. I am 79 last Sunday. Doc gave me pills, made my legs hurt. I tossed them and asked what my readings meant. My good fats are extremely high so why should I take pills? I went on line and found he gets thousands in kick backs from drug companies. I eat more butter, cheese, fats and 1/2# of bacon is a start and I will never change.
Fat and booze for me. Good beer!
Carol drinks tea only and a lot of bottled water. She complains all day, knees hurt and hands hurt, go to sleep at night and hurt. Wake up all the time with pain or dead hands.
She wants meat and eggs done to crisp and cuts off anything like fat. It has been a hard road to have her eat juicy meat. She will not admit it is better.
She read some wine is good, bought a bottle and after a few months in the fridge, I drank it.
Carol does not like egg whites, I don't know why. She does not like soft yellow either, must be a hockey puck. I want to dip the yolk so she makes mine different. Over easy just to set the white.
I get bitched at for meat red in the middle or grease on the stove. Do you know what it is like to have complaints about tough meat? I have to overcook for her to shoe leather.

I think the difference is that you obviously stay very active. Seems most Americans anymore do not, combine that with a high fat diet and it's a recipe for short life.

I hope I'm still hunting as much as you and doing for myself when I'm 79. Good on you for living well the way you want to live.

Blackwater
12-26-2016, 01:16 PM
Long ago, when my wife taught me how to cook venison, I tried various things. Being a fan of Joostain Wilson, I typically just go to the fridge and see what's in there that'll go with venison. Habitual staples are onion, garlic, a little bell pepper, and baby carrots sliced thin. I'll usually soak the venison in milk for an hour or two, then, as 44man, I get the pan hot, usually with butter, and when the butter sizzles, I plop the steaks into the sizzling pan. As the milk cooks out, I pour off the fluids that cook out. I watch until there's very little water coming out, and then flip them over at this point to cook the other side. When it finally gets what looks like al the water out, I take them up and sit aside.

Then, I'll take the above mentioned ingredients, chopped up well and mixed together, and pour them into the pan with more butter, and cook until the onions are clear. Then I'll often add in some Worstershire sauce and soy sauce, and maybe a little garlic powder. Add in a little thickening if it seems like a good idea at the time, and that's what I think I want, and .... gee golly wow is that stuff GOOD! I pour the sauce over the steaks with just enough butter in it to make it "saucey," and it is heaven on a plate to me. The somewhat dried out steaks (but not too dry), absorb that butter, with all the flavors of the goodies cooked in it, and .... WOW!

That's one of the great things about venison and good beef. There are SO many great ways to make it delectible, and we get to do it OUR way when we cook. My wife constantly tells me how to cook things, and I just tell her that when SHE cooks, she can do it HER way. When I cook, I do it MY way, and she doesn't have to eat it .... but she always does. She's come to even admit when it's really great, and THAT was a big move for her.

Thanks for all these recipes. In cooking, it's so often more HOW we do it and for how long, than it is WHAT we do. Throw a piece of meat on a fire, and it'll certainly cook, but HOW it's done has a LOT to do with the final taste. I keep learning stuff here. Thanks to all of you for that.

MarkP
12-26-2016, 01:50 PM
44man, Planning to buy the seasoning this week, I drive by the plant once a week and have lived in Omaha most of my life and have never tried the seasoning. ( that I know of).

We have (2) Does in the freezer.

1988-4551
12-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Sounds like some good eatin and good tips. We're partial to those lodge cast iron scraper tools made of some kind of plastic. No deer yet but have a few days of the season left.

white eagle
12-26-2016, 07:59 PM
nothing better than steaks seared over a hardwood
open flame fire just like it was meant to be
of course seared in a cast iron fry pan in bacon grease
is good as well along with fried taters

Mytmousemalibu
12-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Best ever. You have a good friend.

I don't disagree! The finest cut of meat on a deer in my humble opinion. Friend.... Nope..... Brother, yes! Although not by blood but who's counting.

PositiveCaster
12-28-2016, 07:27 PM
For me it's deer streak dusted in flour and pan fried in Crisco - too many memories from my youth to want much else. Grilled over hot coals is good too, but call me silly I like fried best. My favorite? Fried heart cut into strips. Yes it's novelty meat but I like it better than liver...

44man
12-30-2016, 03:35 PM
I hunted with a neighbor this morning, seen nothing, wind and snow came up. We had coffee in the basement. Carol asked what to have for new Years, Pork loin or ribs? I said ribs. Joe said why not venison and she made a face. She told him she ate the stuff for 55 years. Well, how long for pork? We have ham left and how many days can you eat ham? I get sick of left over's. I get sick of burger FAST. Might be my worst to get sick of. The breaking point is no fat and days of the same stuff. I get sick of pork too.
The best is going to be good venison steak and not a week to eat it all. You can eat it every day if prepared different but not a week of the same. Beef the same.
Secret is make enough for a meal, never leftovers. Then you imagine the feast for the next time.
Repetition is bad. But then there is bacon.

54bore
12-31-2016, 07:04 AM
When properly prepared venison is the best.

Well said!!

CITYREPO61
12-31-2016, 09:29 AM
Here was yesterday's lunch. Venison eye round, mashed potatoes and broccoli.