PDA

View Full Version : Few questions new to me Ideal lube sizer

Dadswickedammo
12-19-2016, 10:04 PM
Hey fellas got the casting bug...
So my lube sizer appears to be really old PAT-MAY31-92
So I got this used it's full of very hard red lube how can I get most of this out before I boil it?
Also on the die I see an o ring at the top but see some lube comming out the bottom of the die.
Once I get it clean and fully functional will be asking about set up.
Thanx

Scharfschuetze
12-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Many guys use a base heater with wax type lubes. Perhaps a hard wax lube is what you have in your Lubra-sizer.

You can use a hair dryer to warm the unit up. That will help get the goo out. It's not uncommon to get a little leakage at the base of the sizer where the threads for the compression rod are exposed.

Good luck with the sizer and your new hobby of casting boolits.

Dadswickedammo
12-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Thanx so much!
On fire with casting. So once I hear it up jus scoop it out? Any way to salavge?

Beagle333
12-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Stand it upside down in a coffee can or bottom half of a milk jug, then heat it up with the hair dryer and the lube should run out and you can salvage it.
It's probably dirty and contaminated though and it's only $1.39 a stick (when buying 20 sticks) if you lose the entire stick when boiling.

(let me clarify.... RandyRat's lube sticks are that price. I don't know what CR is going for.)

Dadswickedammo
12-20-2016, 12:08 AM
Nice $1.39 I thought like $5.00 it's scrap.

runfiverun
12-20-2016, 12:19 AM
that's the second time in 5 minutes I have seen something from the mid 90's called old or vintage.
most of my casting and reloading equipment and guns are older than that.
my Bronco is older than that.
my Boat is older than that.
all of my kids are older than that.

ahhh jeeeez.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-20-2016, 12:42 AM
that's the second time in 5 minutes I have seen something from the mid 90's called old or vintage.

ahhh jeeeez.

LOL...I think he means 1892
Sounds like a Ideal #1

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-20-2016, 12:50 AM
Yes, Heatgun or hair blo-drier to heat up the reservior and lube will slide out, if you're impatient, you can scrap some of it out with a slotted screwdriver, I bent the end of a cheapo one, works even better.

Dies:
50 to 100 years ago, lyman/ideal dies didn't have the o-ring.
Sometime around 1960 or so, they redesigned the die, it's a tiny bit smaller at the top, but has the o-ring to seal it.

So one of two things are happening. the o-ring is worn/damaged and letting lube leak through, or the setscrew has been over-tightened, causing the hole were the die goes in, to become oblong...look for a crack in the casting near the setscrew. both of these things are not a rarity.

Good luck, and I bet you'll have more questions, feel free to ask.

Also, do you have a wrench to turn the pressure screw?
those square ones are rare as hens teeth.

This post may help you some, it's for a lyman 45, but much of the disassembly and warnings are the same.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166565-Lyman-45-buying-guide-and-cleanup-instructions

trixter
12-21-2016, 09:41 AM

ahhh jeeeez.

Common word "old" Hahahahahha, me too vintage 1945. Merry Christmas.

44man
12-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Youngsters all. How about 1937? I had one of the Lymans and it worked good. I sold it when I got out of revolvers for a short time but kept a lot of dies and they fit the RCBS I now have too.
Worst thing I sold was the old RCBS A-2 press, I have the Big Max but the A-2 was better. I have a Lee turret and a big Lyman turret, really like the Lyman. I use a Thompson Tool Mount to keep the bench clear. Everything I have fits it, measure, trimmers, presses, Mecs. Made my own plates to fit. Only the big Max is bolted to the bench. With all I have I would need a 20' bench if not for the tool mount.

dondiego
12-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Use the old lube for flux in your lead melt.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-22-2016, 05:20 PM
I had an Ideal #1 and it worked just fine. I sold it because I had 9 other sizers and didn't need it. How about 1934?

44man
12-22-2016, 05:32 PM
I had an Ideal #1 and it worked just fine. I sold it because I had 9 other sizers and didn't need it. How about 1934?

Old goat. Darn!

jimb16
12-22-2016, 06:48 PM
1949 here. You guys are making me feel like a little kid!

Preacher Jim
12-22-2016, 09:51 PM
I thought anything older than me was better than today. A kid walked up yesterday and asked if we had cars when I was his age. Now I know my sizers and loading equipment has progressed as my years have gone by but all of it still works better than I do.

Oklahoma Rebel
12-24-2016, 01:50 AM
wow, I'm sorry man... I know a great therapist, but she is located in tulsa

rintinglen
12-24-2016, 11:12 AM
If I weren't eligible for Social Security you guys would be making me feel young.

44man
12-25-2016, 10:16 AM
If I weren't eligible for Social Security you guys would be making me feel young.
Good luck, you need all you have to get what you paid into all your life. Cross the border and you get all of it. I am sick of Snap cards from 400# women at check out. Gibberish on a cell phone I can't afford and meat I need to pass up.