PDA

View Full Version : This years, and my 3rd - 45/70 cast boolit elk

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Sorry to say I didn't get another deer to add to the growing pile of 45/70 deer, but the early antlerless elk season did see my 3rd elk hit the ground.

I'm still just as impressed with the results today as I was after the first critter!

Did spend some time trying to put a cast bullet from my RUGER 77/44 into a deer, but never had the opportunity to give it a go. The final time out saw me again pack'in the RUGER 45/70.

I consider the cast bullet .44 load to be about a 100yd deer rifle with a 275gr cast Wide Flat Nose at about 1700fps, while the 45/70 with the 465gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) at 1650fps is proven beyond that range.

This years elk was 161yds, and the Leupold CDS (Custom Dial System) put it right where it should be with the dial set at 150yds.

Maybe next year will be the .44s turn, but mean while love that 45/70!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot183124

Smoke4320
12-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Congrads on a successful season .. Sounds like the freezer will be overflowing :)

Rick R
12-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Congratulations! That looks like a pile of venison.

I've got a Marlin in .44 that must smell bad. Any time i take it out the deer leave the country.
Good luck next year with your 77/44.

35 shooter
12-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Good eating there for sure. Nice shot with a fine rifle and cal.

shoot-n-lead
12-19-2016, 08:45 PM
Good job...ya got some good eatin' there.

big bore 99
12-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Congrats. Lookin' good!

white eagle
12-19-2016, 09:17 PM
congrats Coot
some fine eatin for sure steaks,tenderloin,backstraps yum yum
I am always impressed when I use my 45/70 on big game it
just lays em down plain and simple
enjoy and take care

brown bass hunter
12-19-2016, 11:59 PM
Nice shooting, looks like you won't have a long drag

35Whelen
12-20-2016, 12:14 AM
Well done Crusty..........

I ended up finding a 77/44 this year and am thrilled to have found one especially here in Canada. I also have the Ruger No.1 in 45/70. As I just started casting for them last year none has tasted a hunt yet. I read your posts every time I see them, and learn something new each time. Well done on the elk....a full freezer for the winter months is hard to beat. Congratulations

jmden
12-20-2016, 12:15 AM
Congratulations! That's awesome.

smoked turkey
12-20-2016, 12:24 AM
Great job CDOC. I always enjoy your Ruger No.1 45-70 hunting stories. I have an all weather stainless that has only taken a measly whitetail buck, but it did a good job on that. I agree the old 45-70 is one fine caliber. Great looking elk too BTW. Looks like she is very fat and will make some mighty fine eating.

kobeinu
12-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Congrats CDOC.

tdoyka
12-20-2016, 07:34 PM
congrats!!!!!

Brad Cayton
12-20-2016, 08:09 PM
Congratulations! 3 elk in the freezer, that's something!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-20-2016, 11:44 PM
Yep she was REALLY FAT. I think I have another image that shows how fat.

The fellow that is cutting the critter in half is the reason this Ol'Coot can hunt for these big critters during the hot Aug weather. When Doug is home and available, I can hunt. If not, well I hunt another day.

Walk in in the dark and unless something is down I'm out of the woods and home by 8:30 - 9 am or before.

Doug and his wife operate a reforestation tree growing business and part of the operation is a big cooler. So, if some one gets a critter Doug turns on the compressor and then we can hang the meat in the cooler until it gets cut.

Doug and Pat get half of the critter, but as said, I couldn't do it with out Doug's help considering the size of the critter and the temps.

Rebuilt this trailer just for use behind the 4Wheeler, but it is also usable behind the pickup. It is narrow enough and low enough (with the tail gates down) to pull under road blockage gates put up to keep pickups and cars out of logged areas. Most are OK to go around with 4 wheelers so it is OK to go in and the trailer makes it possible to get a critter out.

The front is made strong enough so I can use a snatch block and hook the 4wheeler wench to it and pull a critter onto the trailer deck.

This was the first critter hauled out with the trailer.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

DougGuy
12-20-2016, 11:50 PM
Nice!! I need to get some Elk in the freezer just to try it..

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-21-2016, 12:11 AM
ELK meat is premo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to beat ELK!

CDOC

DanWalker
12-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Congrats on making meat with the 45/70. I have that same rifle. Would you mind sharing load specifics, and what mold was used?
Thanks.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Dan,

The 465gr bullet is from a 4 cavity mold made by "BABore", Bruce over on the Cast Boolets forum. Sadly something changed in his life and he, while still present on that forum, no longer makes his FINE molds.

Personally having ordered a number of molds from Accurate Molds, I go to him and even if needed send a sample bullet if needed. However, Tom likely lists a bullet that is very close in design to the one I use.

LBT makes good molds, but because of the sprue plate and the sprue plate hold down I MUCH prefer the Accurate Molds product.

Tom has always been VERY good to deal with.

I'll attach an Image of a before and after of my 465gr.

The load is 47.5gr of H335. A load suggested by Bruce. I have tested above and below his recommended load, as well as testing other powders but keep coming back to that load. It gives right at 1650fps from my 22" barrel

The bullet is cast of a 50/50 - Wheel Weights/lead and water quenched as they drop from the hot mold.

Bruce also suggested sizing in a push through sizing die to .460 (for my rifle) ASAP after casting then at some later and convenient time going back with a .461 die in a sizer/luber for lubing. I have seated the gas checks at both stages and one seems to work as well as the other.

Bruce also said to allow the bullets to "age" a minimum of 7 days (with 14 being better) before use.

He also said that he had tested bullets before the 7 days and the tester said they were good to go but his rifle told a different story.

The bullet shown is lubed with LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) soft blue, but I soon went to the White Label "BAC" which I felt gave better results.

Bruce had a home brew that he recommended, but I prefer to buy a premade product.

The "after" bullet was taken from my first cast bullet/45/70 elk and I never expected to find one of these. The shot was a quartering shot which took out the HEAVY upper front leg bone, a rib, went through lungs, a BIG and FULL paunch guts and lodged just ahead of the off side hind. Remaining weight is 327.9gr. I suspect the nose was lost with the impact of the front leg after which it still penetrated about 30" +/-.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

AlaskaScott
12-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Congratulations!

ChristopherO
12-21-2016, 02:34 PM
This was exactly the information I was interested in reading, CDOC. Thanks for sharing it. I am using a 405 grain Accurate mold boolit for my 4570 but it is a Marlin CB, which I doubt will accept that particular profile you are using.

If I may, where did you hit this cow and how far did she go once perforated?
Christopher

The load is 47.5gr of H335. A load suggested by Bruce. I have tested above and below his recommended load, as well as testing other powders but keep coming back to that load. It gives right at 1650fps from my 22" barrel

The bullet is cast of a 50/50 - Wheel Weights/lead and water quenched as they drop from the hot mold.

Bruce also suggested sizing in a push through sizing die to .460 (for my rifle) ASAP after casting then at some later and convenient time going back with a .461 die in a sizer/luber for lubing. I have seated the gas checks at both stages and one seems to work as well as the other.

Bruce also said to allow the bullets to "age" a minimum of 7 days (with 14 being better) before use.

He also said that he had tested bullets before the 7 days and the tester said they were good to go but his rifle told a different story.

The bullet shown is lubed with LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) soft blue, but I soon went to the White Label "BAC" which I felt gave better results.

Bruce had a home brew that he recommended, but I prefer to buy a premade product.

The "after" bullet was taken from my first cast bullet/45/70 elk and I never expected to find one of these. The shot was a quartering shot which took out the HEAVY upper front leg bone, a rib, went through lungs, a BIG and FULL paunch guts and logged just ahead of the off side hind. Remaining weight is 327.9gr. I suspect the nose was lost with the impact of the front leg after which it still penetrated about 30" +/-.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

183216[/QUOTE]

skeettx
12-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Good system, people helping people
and
Having the right equipment
SWEET
Thank you for sharing
Mike

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Christopher,

I really believe my bullet will function through a Marlin and I "think" I have run it through a Marlin.

However, be that as it may, your 405gr from an Accurate Mold should get er done, especially if it is a Wide Flat Nose type.

This is a bit funny, but the first elk taken with my 45/70, the one from which I retrieved the "after" bullet, went around in a small circle a time or two and then tipped over the bank below the old forest road I was walking on.

The next year, the elk was within just feet of where the first one stood and at the shot the critter dashed up the hill a short distance, turned with the hill and dashed for another short distance, came back down to the old road and tipped over the bank within feet of the first one taken.

Both shots were at about 100yds.

This year I was sitting less then 50 feet from where the first two stood, spotted elk in the bottom of the little valley and then took the cow shown as the herd crossed the old road 161yds from where I sat.

This last elk went maybe 50 - 75 feet up the hill and tipped over. Short drag down to where I pulled the trailer with the 4wheeler.

All were down MUCH faster then it takes to tell about it.

Look at the first image of the cow shown with the trailer and you can see the red spot where the bullet entered the rib cage just a touch further back then I like. I like behind the shoulders, but I put this one back a bit. Good possibility that the cow took a step just as I released the trigger.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

ChristopherO
12-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Excellent play by play. Thank you

TXGunNut
12-22-2016, 10:11 PM
Once again, good job! Taking a critter as big as an elk with your own boolits NEVER gets old, does it?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-22-2016, 10:15 PM
TXGunNut,

I believe taking and continuing to take critters with my own cast bullets equals or tops taking my first critter with my own hand load many years back.

And your correct, it doesn't get old!

CDOC

TXGunNut
12-22-2016, 10:23 PM
I remember well the story of working towards and taking your first elk with a cast boolit. You helped me with my own projects and gave me the confidence to take my first CB deer...with a 45-70 of course. Thanks again for all the help and for sharing your story with us.

mattri
12-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Congrats and awesome job on the write up thanks.

Markbo
12-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Congratulations Crusty! Well done!!

horsesoldier
12-25-2016, 01:26 PM
It looks like the cds dial is still working for you!!!

CITYREPO61
12-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Congrats. One day I'll have a 45/70.

catncarp
01-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks for sharing, awesome