PDA

View Full Version : lee expander

Scorpius
12-19-2016, 03:42 PM
cant recall where, but I remember someone mentioned Lee had some sort of mouth expander that was universal to expand the mouths for loading lead bullets, problem is I cant seem to locate it at midway or elsewhere.

Anyone got a link?

Thanks,

jcren
12-19-2016, 04:31 PM
http://leeprecision.com/universal-case-expanding-die.html
Here is the Lee link.

Geez, nothing is working right today, hafta copy and paste

Scorpius
12-19-2016, 04:56 PM
http://leeprecision.com/universal-case-expanding-die.html
Here is the Lee link.

Geez, nothing is working right today, hafta copy and paste

PERFECT!!! Thank you! now off to midway to get more stuff I don't need for this addiction.

robg
12-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Works well use one for my 223 and 308

white eagle
12-19-2016, 09:22 PM
I use one as well
it works good when I need it

Guesser
12-19-2016, 09:28 PM
I have 2, one each set up for large and small. they get used......

wrench
12-20-2016, 05:52 PM
Buy it from Al at NOE: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=88&sort=2a&page=3
and while you're there pick up a few of his excellent expander plugs that turn the Lee die into an actual expander die...it's about all I use these days.

targetfreak
12-23-2016, 10:30 PM
Even better is the Lyman "M" neck expanding die.

Pavogrande
12-23-2016, 11:40 PM
I agree with targetfreak the stepped exp plug works much better -- but you do need a plug for each caliber --

MT Chambers
12-24-2016, 01:25 AM
It really isn't a neck expander, it is a flaring tool, it flares the case mouth but does not expand the neck.

kenyerian
12-24-2016, 01:59 AM
+1 on the Noe

T-Duck
01-06-2017, 10:52 PM
With the NOE expander do you order the size you want the neck to be? Does the brass spring back at all where you would need to go a little larger?

Hannibal
01-07-2017, 03:12 AM
I agree with targetfreak the stepped exp plug works much better -- but you do need a plug for each caliber --

I have been searching for a method to order just the expander plugs I need without ordering the entire die, as I have both an M-1 and M-2 die body. I presume just the expander plug would be cheaper, but as yet, I have not discovered how to order just the plugs. I don't need a specialized size, so Lyman's 'standard' plugs should work just fine. . . . . if I could figure out how and where to order them.

Any replies with experience with this problem I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks and sorry if this is a 'thread hijack'.

Moonie
01-07-2017, 01:25 PM
I have been searching for a method to order just the expander plugs I need without ordering the entire die, as I have both an M-1 and M-2 die body. I presume just the expander plug would be cheaper, but as yet, I have not discovered how to order just the plugs. I don't need a specialized size, so Lyman's 'standard' plugs should work just fine. . . . . if I could figure out how and where to order them.

Any replies with experience with this problem I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks and sorry if this is a 'thread hijack'.

I know it has been done, at least in the past, by other members on here. My solution is to use the Lee with NOE expanders, and the PTE with NOE's PTE's rather than Lee's. Might need to call Lyman to get the exact ones you need. Or simply go the NOE route, you can get the Lee universal expander and the NOE plugs. His PTE's fit the pistol PTE dies.

01-07-2017, 07:04 PM
'bout to use my Lee expander this evening.

Motor
01-08-2017, 02:05 PM
It really isn't a neck expander, it is a flaring tool, it flares the case mouth but does not expand the neck.

VERY GOOD POINT !!!!!!

If you need to expand the neck you will need a real neck expander. Often though all you really need is the mouth flare.

I use both types of expanders and do like the "M" style (with step).

Motor

gloob
01-08-2017, 07:36 PM
With the NOE expander do you order the size you want the neck to be? Does the brass spring back at all where you would need to go a little larger?
Yes there is spring back after the plug is removed. NOE lists the actual diameter of the expander plug and flare steps. They and the entire reloading industry will tell you to order 2 mils smaller than the bullet.

I would suggest you get expander same size as your bullets. If you use 356 bullet, use a 356 expander plug. NOE will list the size of the expander and the flare step. For instance, they sell a plug that is 356/360. Feel free to ignore my advice and follow industry recommendation, which will sell you a 354/358 expander for a 356 bullet. It's all very confusing and dangerous and scary and ambiguous, so I don't blame them for being safe or you for listening to them.

If you're dumb enough to listen to me, you will notice you can't buy expanders same size as bullet, except in 9mm and 45ACP, and other select calibers in rifle/pistol where there are different calibers that are close in size. That's cuz they don't make em big enough. Yeah, you gotta go custom for most calibers.

sandman228
01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
I own the lee universal expander and use it mostly for loading lead bullets in 35 rem cases . it works good but the trouble I have is I can only thread it in the press a turn or 2 anything more and it over expands ,even with the adjustment turned way back . I plan on using it for 30 30 lead bullets loads as well here soon I dunno if i'll have the same issue or not .

sharps4590
01-10-2017, 03:41 PM
As others have said yes, it is only a flaring/mouth belling tool but, it works pretty good. It's near impossible to find expander plugs for some of the weird calibers I shoot. For me it's been a life saver.

calgunner
01-12-2017, 02:26 AM
I use NOE when I can but they don't do custom sizes. Buffalo Arms has a much larger inventory of lyman m-die expander plugs that will fit in the M1 and M2 bodies. If he is out of stock on the size I need I can backorder from them. Since I use Lee full length & neck sizing dies I also can order from them a custom made expander rod in any size I need and them use their universal die to flair the mouth. Hope this helps.

gloob
01-13-2017, 05:35 PM
^You really need to try making your own plug. Insanely easy on lyman plugs. Just chuck it in a drill. Hand drill or drill press, it doesn't matter. For a few mils, you can just use sandpaper. For more than that, you can do the rough cutting with a dremel tool and a cutting disc. Easy peesy. Doing a flare step is easy, too. Reduce plug to dimension of the flare step. With cutting disc, you can mark the boundary with a thin, shallow groove. Reduce diameter of the expander side. Finish with sanding blocks to ensure squareness. Then slightly round the edge of the flare step, if you managed to keep the shoulder too sharp. Then polish everything over with fine sandpaper or buffing compound.

Drill: $50.00
Calipers: $12.00
Sandpaper +- dremel tool.

That said, I love NOE plugs, because they can't loosen over time, like Lyman. They don't fit in a drill, though. If it's not on the shelf, you need to hit up someone with a lathe :(

GONRA
01-20-2017, 06:46 PM
GONRA just purchased a Lee Mouth Expander Die and
is using it with great success for my 7.62x25mm Tokarev "2017 Cast Boolit reloading project".

Other than that, champfered mouths on my decades olde brand new
Starline 7.62x25mm Tokarev cases and loaded up Just Fine with
.309 inch diameter Hornady and surplus .30 Carbine Orange Tip tracer boolits.

kokomokid
01-25-2017, 03:12 PM
Buffalo arms makes custom expanders for most brands of dies.

tankgunner59
01-31-2017, 08:25 PM
I have 2, one each set up for large and small. they get used......

Thats what I need to do, I have one and it works well. Oh no, now another piece I have to kiss up to get! ;-)

skeet1
02-01-2017, 12:23 AM
If a person tries the lee expander die and decides he would rather expand the whole case neck like the Lyman "M" die, you can buy an expander plug from NOE of the size you want that will fit in your Lee expander die body. It works very good.

Ken

gunwonk
02-01-2017, 12:33 AM
I have been searching for a method to order just the expander plugs I need without ordering the entire die, as I have both an M-1 and M-2 die body.

I telephoned Lyman customer service. As I recall, the rep had to hunt around a bit for the correct item, but then just took my credit card number and mailed me some. They were about $6 apiece, I think. This was probably 2-3 years ago. The telephone number is on their web site. Don't know whether Lyman still does this, but it's a free phone call. :)

Hannibal
02-01-2017, 02:48 AM
I telephoned Lyman customer service. As I recall, the rep had to hunt around a bit for the correct item, but then just took my credit card number and mailed me some. They were about $6 apiece, I think. This was probably 2-3 years ago. The telephone number is on their web site. Don't know whether Lyman still does this, but it's a free phone call. :)

I'll give that a try and see if I get 'lucky'. Thanks for the reply.

Sakoluvr
03-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Buffalo arms makes custom expanders for most brands of dies.

Great to deal with. If you don't see the exact expander you want listed, they will make it for you. I recently discovered them from this site.

tankgunner59
03-21-2017, 11:45 PM
I like the Lee universal case mouth flaring die because I cam control how big the flare is. I use mine for all five of the rifle calibers I reload for.

JohnH
03-27-2017, 10:06 PM
PERFECT!!! Thank you! now off to midway to get more stuff I don't need for this addiction. No such thing as stuff you don't need. Might not turn out to be as useful as you thought....