PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best reasonably priced lead tester

Fordcragar
12-19-2016, 03:16 AM
I searched some of the older threads; which were from 10 years ago. So is there anything newer out there that you guys use or is Cabin Tree still the best out there for the money?

RugerFan
12-19-2016, 03:28 AM
I have used the Cabin Tree for years and love it. I have not tried the Saeco or Lee and am unaware if there are any new players in the market. Can't go wrong with the Cabin Tree.

Mytmousemalibu
12-19-2016, 03:36 AM
I have the Lee hardness tester, it does work however you absolutely must have some sort of holder for the microscope in the kit that's used to measure the dimple size. It's pretty much impossible to hold it in hand and get a measurement. Unless you are a freak of nature, nobody can hold that still. I have one of the little deals sold on ebay which works ok but a fellow member here that goes by Northerninventor on youtube made a holder from a cheap kids/school lab microscope. I think i'll give one a try.

I'f I were buying my 1st hardness tester now, i'd probably go the Cabine Tree. The Lee is serviceable though. I won mine for cheap on ebay.

fivegunner
12-19-2016, 08:16 AM
I have the Saco, and one that was made by someone? I forgot but it is a first class unit and very accurate, but the one I use is the cabin Tree. My 2 cents.:Fire::Fire::Fire::castmine:

Hickory
12-19-2016, 08:42 AM
I have one from LBT it works for me, +30 years.

ioon44
12-19-2016, 09:51 AM
I have used the LBT tester for about 30 years also.

flyingrhino
12-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Cabine Tree. Love it.

daloper
12-19-2016, 11:24 AM
I have the Lee and I think that it works fine. Price is right. My brother just bought the LBT. It cost a little more than the Lee but he likes it a lot. If my eyes get to bad I will switch over to a LBT so as not to have to use the scope. If you get the Lee before you check the hardness make sure that you mark the area that you will be testing with a colored hi lighter. This makes it much easier to read the indent.

John D
12-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Another LBT user for 20+ years with NO complaints..

Bent Ramrod
12-19-2016, 12:08 PM
I have the SAECO and the LBT. Both seem to be very internally consistent and within a couple BHN points of each other, i.e., within the experimental error of either one.

I tend to use the SAECO more because it's handier with the boolits that I've just cast. The needle centers on any but the most extremely pointed noses, and can also be used on bases, if they don't have a torn cavity at the sprue cutoff.

The LBT is at its best with flat surfaces, which are there on ingots but need to be filed or sawn onto many boolit noses. I use it mainly for ingots at the end of a giant rendering session, or occasionally as a second check on the SAECO if I'm suspicious of boolit readings.

Both are pretty easy to use. The SAECO has a chart for conversions, the LBT is direct reading, but it's no big deal either way. I would think you could do well with any of them, as long as your technique is consistent.

kungfustyle
12-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Box of drafting/art pencils. There should be a thread on it somewhere on this forum. If not pm me and I'll give you the chart. These pencils are made to exacting standards and have varying hardness. Write/scratch the lead and when you find it is no longer writing but scratching you know the hardness. Works well enough that I sold my Lee Hardness tester.

carbine
12-19-2016, 12:24 PM
LBT was about $100. Simple and reliable 20+ years

WFO2
12-19-2016, 12:36 PM
I was advised by more seasoned members here to get the Cabin Tree . I have used it several times and it works for me . I dont know if 120 dollars is reasonable but that what I payed for mine .

John Boy
12-19-2016, 12:38 PM
The Lee: least expensive and accurate ... http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm#Lee
And when testing ingots - test at the bottom of the ingot only

Phlier
12-19-2016, 06:35 PM
I really wish I hadn't found this thread. I hadn't heard of Cabin Tree before. I just visited their website and it's like a candy store. Man, this forum is hard on my wallet. A lot of the Dillon press accessories they carry look fantastic.

I have a Lee hardness tester, and like everyone else, have a very difficult time holding it steady. For the price, it's decent.

Guesser
12-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Tried several over the years. Bought a Cabin Tree some years back; it is so simple and accurate that all others are a joke looking for a location; not with me!!!!!

landers
12-22-2016, 10:56 PM
Cabin Tree, worth every penny.

Nick Quick
12-23-2016, 01:11 AM
I paid 120$ for my Cabin Tree and I don't regret a bit. I can measure from the shortest to the longest bullets plus ingots in seconds.
The only down side is that the round nose bullets may take more than seconds to measure. I always have a truncate bullet mold on the side and cast all 6 cavities to have bullets with two flat ends to measure that specific batch.

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2016, 04:59 AM
had an lbt have a saeco and a cabintree. Cabin tree was the cheapest of the three and hands down the best.

hermans
12-23-2016, 05:22 AM
Cabine Tree, simple to use and accurate/consistant readings

Sasquatch-1
12-23-2016, 06:40 AM
I have a Cabine Tree and it is very simple to use. A friend has an LBT and it works well. The only drawback I saw to the LBT was the opening. It won't accept anything much bigger then a bullet.

Also, look up reviews on YouTube. Don't take them as gospel. But you will be able to see how different units work.

lightman
12-23-2016, 04:17 PM
I don't know if its the best or most reasonably priced but I'm another happy CabineTree user. Its not hard to get repeatable readings after a little practice.

Walter Laich
12-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Cabine Tree (notice it has a "e" at the end) is now handled by cowboybullets

link to page: http://cowboybullets.com/ST-Machining-Products_c_17.html

see the price is now $120

directions for use: http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_llc___lead_testers.htm

conversion chart: http://www.castingstuff.com/tester_hardness_cross_reference.htm

not connected to them except for being a happy customer

HP9MM
12-25-2016, 04:12 PM
My LBT is very repeatable and easy to use. No microscope or conversion table. Love it!