PDA

View Full Version : neck turning

redriverhunter
12-18-2016, 03:02 PM
I have a foster neck turning kit, but the handle used to hold the brass does not hold so well. I found that my cordless drill will accept the case. If I were to hold the cutter in my hand and run the drill would this cause any problems? seems like it should work. thoughts or experience thanks rrh

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-18-2016, 03:05 PM
As long as heat doesn't build up between the mandrel and the case neck you should be fine. Go slow.

dragon813gt
12-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Are you sure you're using the correct collet? The collet handle is the weak point in the design. But when tightened the collet should hold the case properly.

country gent
12-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Several questions here How much are you trying to remove in a single pass? How is the mandrels fit in the case neck? Are you lightly lubing the mandrel or necks? The holder should grip well as is. If its the mating vees that clamp around the case ( similar to a tap wrench ) try a layer of electrical tape on the jaws for added grip. Make sure the mandrel isnt to tight in the case neck there is a fine line between to loose. just right, and to tight. To tight works but increases cutting force alot also. A light coat of lube will help the mandrel to slide and also on the out side lube the cutter and chip lowering cutting force. Some use the Lee trimmer stems and case holders in a cordless drill for turning also. Holding the case in the 3 jaw chuck may deform it with enough force to hold it tight. I have the forseter style drill press base I use for neck turning in a drill press and it uses a colle that grips the rim of the case where its solid. The vynal or rubber electrical tape may give you theadded grip you need.

redriverhunter
12-18-2016, 03:25 PM
thanks for the replies
this is the kit I got http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219509/forster-hand-held-outside-neck-turner not sure if there is a collet

dragon813gt
12-18-2016, 03:35 PM
There is no collet like I was thinking of. I forgot they made hand held turners and assumed you were using the lathe style.

lightman
12-18-2016, 09:43 PM
I don't see any real problem if the case head fits in the drill. Just turn it slowly. I use a cordless drill for my neck turning, but I run it slow and I use a case holder from Sinclair. It works like those that come with the Lee trimmer, only better. Lube the mandrel and only remove a few thousands at a time, like .002 or so. I've gotten good results from the little Forster. The more expensive tools are easier to adjust or readjust.

EDG
12-20-2016, 06:03 PM
You may need to adjust the fit of the case neck to the pilot so your case holder works properly.
Case neck turning tools are very dependent on the case neck being expanded to exactly fit the pilot without excessive drag.

Check out some of the expanders and pilots sold by K&M. Then call Forster and ask them how to best use your tools.

If you use a drill chuck the jaws of the chuck will likely tear up the case rim and on a rimless case can damage the case body.

375RUGER
12-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Sinclair makes a case holder that fits in the drill that accepts lee universal shell holders. It's what I use.

ackleyman
12-23-2016, 02:36 PM
I have turned necks for 30 years, and would seriously encourage you to look at K & M products. Neck turning can be tedious, K & M products are yield fantastic results, great investment!

You need an expander mandrel that will correspond to the turning mandrel, K & M fixes that madness in spades!