PDA

View Full Version : Maximum velocity for 22 mag jackets.

Gew
12-18-2016, 02:37 AM
Have any of you broken the 3000 feet per second rule i have read about with good consistent results with 22 WMR jackets without core bonding? I'm just wondering if it is more of a barrel smoothness issue or a twist issue than a velocity issue. I have not shot any but as soon as i get my swage set i can add my two cents. .243 and .264 are the boolits in question.

clodhopper
12-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Not me.
All the variables you mention, are so relevant.
What works for one rifle, might not work for the next rifle

BT Sniper
12-19-2016, 03:26 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?178227-BTSniper-6mm-bullets-from-22mag-17hmr-brass!

Some results I had with 6mm bullets made from 22mag brass.

reed1911
12-22-2016, 07:17 AM
The main issue I have found is the segregation of the bullets. You need to inspect them and segregate that at the jacket stage and the final stage. Any that have deep or very noticeable firing pin marks set aside in the jacket stage (use them for lower velocity plinking), then segregate by weight. Again inspect them once made and segregate (use your top end ones for when you are really looking for performance and while you will find weight variance that does not mean any are necessarily bad, just different and shoot those together).

I think you will find that your groups will noticeably shrink just by this as well as allow you to push the higher quality bullets to higher velocity. Any imperfection in the jacket will show up upon flight including some you cannot easily identify by sight including minor variations in jacket wall thickness or jacket hardness, minor corrosion between the jacket and core preventing adhesion and/or shifting the center point of balance, etc...

I make a lot of very small bullets (.10, .12, .14) and the smaller you get the more pronounced these defects become when it comes to effect. When you are only making a 7.30g core for a 10g bullet or a 4.63g core for an 7g bullet, the details become necessary just to get groups rather than patterns.