PDA

View Full Version : MARLIN 336 b.band or forend cap

357maximum
06-21-2008, 03:41 AM
On the marlin 336 have any of you ever seen an ACCURACY preference for one system over the other. I have been thinking about converting a 336rc in 35 rem from a barrel band to the forend cap tenon assembly and shortening the mag tube for personal preference reasons.

I realize I would have to buy the tenon/screws/cap/mag plug and screw/ and cut and file a dovetail slot slot and d/t a hole.....what say you?

looking for opinions and any and all whatnot theories...is there an accuracy difference if both systems are tweaked and relieved of all pressure points?

this gun is a 53, but it has no "vintage" value due to finish and other "custom" touches.

thanks
Michael

VTDW
06-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Michael,

Just my experience talking here. The forend cap Marlins are easier to make shoot well IMHO. My favorite rifle is my .444S with the forend cap but my .444T with barrel bands shoots just as well and they are both MOA shooters. IMO what makes the forend caps easier is the mag tube is attached with a dovetail. File that insert down on the flat side until you can easily move the mag tube side to side with thumb and forefinger and you have relieved one major pressure point. With the barrel bands it sometimes takes lots of tweaking with the screws and blue LocTite to keep em in place. I guess you can flip a coin brother. Most of all, have fun with that project.

Dave

JDL
06-21-2008, 09:29 PM
You going to make a button magazine? I've always thought they were the nicest looking and next best looker was a 1/2 or 2/3 length. Show pixs whenever you finish.
JDL

357maximum
06-22-2008, 01:30 AM
You going to make a button magazine? I've always thought they were the nicest looking and next best looker was a 1/2 or 2/3 length. Show pixs whenever you finish.
JDL

The mag tube will end up being about 1/2 inch beyond the forend cap. It will be awile....time is not a luxury lately.

bobk
06-23-2008, 09:11 PM
It's easier with the forend cap-style, but my dad did a 94 Win that subsequently would do 2" at 100 with anything, peep sight. What I never figured out was a way to mount a sling so that you could wrap into it and not change the POI. Aagaard did a test of this, seems to me the POI changes were rather large. IMO, the best way to tackle either one is to bed the forend full length, and then use tape or brass shims to make it absolutely tight. The buttstock is important, too. Tape the two sides at the front, bed the tang, then remove the tape. Prevents split buttstocks. I'm trying to remember what a Marlin butt looks like . . .
Bob K

357maximum
07-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Neener:mrgreen:

I will not have to follow through with this "plan" (doh..I already bought the parts) :) a rather nice 1951 sc in 35rem followed me home today :twisted:, only issue is a broken/split...possibly maybe reapairable issue with the buttsock at the tang juncture.

I really like the balance of this sc gun...ALOT....just hope it shoots like my straight grip(53)336rc in 35 and my pistol gripped(48) rc in 30/30 do.

I now have a triumvirate of pre micros.....color me tickled:mrgreen:

Why do you need (2) 35 rem rifles? Well dear one is a "carbine" and the other is a "RIFLE"....why do you have 67 purses?:twisted:

Now I am looking for some laminated furniture for the SC.......anybody?

Marlin Junky
07-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Mike,

Regarding the acquisition of your .35-336SC "H" gun: nice going! Let us know what the barrel dimensions are. My .35-336A "H" gun runs about .3600 to .3595" from the chamber to the muzzle which makes it hard to match up the mid to heavy handgun molds from the big 3; however, the gun is worth the extra effort. I've decide to give NEI a whirl to see if their .358 molds actually drop bullets 2-3 thou over.

BTW, I think your wife is jealous. :-D

MJ

P.S. Here's a guy in AR that might be able to help: http://www.gun-parts.com/marlinstocks/

Bass Ackward
07-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I just escaped with my wallet in tact for a 30/30 that if the fella had had a bore light, I would have been screwed. I am a sucker for that taller rifling. :grin:

Rifle was in need of a real refinishing, which is no problem, but not for that price.

As far as the barrel band is concerned, the definition of accurately is the key. Will the rifle be any more accurate? I'd say no. Will it shoot better because it is less finicky to how it is held and barrel temperature? That is a good possibility.

DLCTEX
07-27-2008, 02:52 PM
I have a 336 in 30-30 coming, so am reading this thread with interest. Probably micro-groove, but the price is right, I'm tickled pink. 357 Maximum, when the Texas concealed handgun issue was being debated, two local radio mouthpieces were jabbering and one said that the average Texan owned 4 guns. The other shouted "what does anyone need with 4 guns"? I tried to call in, but had to be content shouting at the radio, " how many golf clubs do you have? What does anyone need with more than one?" DALE

357maximum
07-28-2008, 12:53 AM
I have a 336 in 30-30 coming, so am reading this thread with interest. Probably micro-groove, but the price is right, I'm tickled pink. 357 Maximum, when the Texas concealed handgun issue was being debated, two local radio mouthpieces were jabbering and one said that the average Texan owned 4 guns. The other shouted "what does anyone need with 4 guns"? I tried to call in, but had to be content shouting at the radio, " how many golf clubs do you have? What does anyone need with more than one?" DALE

Why does anyone need a GGGGGOLF club at all? I have my own cart and beer is cheap.....why even bother going to some fancy overgrown lawn and pretending. :drinks:

357maximum
07-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Don

Thanks for the link...he does not have what i seek, but i filed it away for future use.

I will post the dimensions once I get them. I was too busy shooting it today. She shoots pretty good with the loads I had made up for the other 336. They both seem to like a "stout" load of H4895 and the RCBS 200.

Wife is sleeping so I cannot pound a slug right now. I have the stock all bungeed up with glue right the moment...will work for now until something else comes along. I am going to call marlin soon and see if they will sell me a laminated stock. If not i will have my ol man build me one from a laminate blank...he is slow as 4377, but he does nice work.

357maximum
07-28-2008, 01:02 AM
I just escaped with my wallet in tact for a 30/30 that if the fella had had a bore light, I would have been screwed. I am a sucker for that taller rifling. :grin:

Rifle was in need of a real refinishing, which is no problem, but not for that price.

As far as the barrel band is concerned, the definition of accurately is the key. Will the rifle be any more accurate? I'd say no. Will it shoot better because it is less finicky to how it is held and barrel temperature? That is a good possibility.

I carry a bore light with me all the time.............:mrgreen: To be nosy...what did they want for it?

I definately like the feel of the sc (mag cap) version better...and they shoot the same loads about the same.........maybe it is a non-issue that my theorizing mind came up with no substance behind the whole matter. would not be the first time:roll:

Bass Ackward
07-28-2008, 06:58 AM
To be nosy...what did they want for it?

$350.

And a project that I don't need at this time.

What is strange is how the gas price situation is driving up used gun prices here. It is having the exact opposite effect of what I would have expected.

Apparently guys are not traveling as much so they aren't spending money. And the fact that they are staying at home, means they are bored and looking for ways to spend that cash.

Drove by that same shop on Sunday and was going to pick up something and there was no place to park. So I had to put it off until the next time I pass.

45r
07-28-2008, 01:33 PM
My 357 Cowboy shoots 1 inch 7 shot groups at 50 yards with 3 different boolits,2 are plain base.If I ever get a 336 it will have an end cap.

357maximum
07-28-2008, 08:40 PM
$350.

And a project that I don't need at this time.

I would pay 350 for one, but it needs to be damn nice for that amount.