PDA

View Full Version : lever shims

1911cherry
12-17-2016, 06:48 PM
My new to me Marlin has a lot of side to side play in the lever, like a bunch really. My dads Marlin doesn't have any play in it, my wifes old Winchester rattles but not a lot of slop in it. I saw some shim kits for this on Brownells has anyone installed a set of these to take up slack in an old Marlin or Winchester?

georgerkahn
12-17-2016, 07:49 PM
As a before-retirement electronics tech, the requisite question on most any failure was, "what caused it?" Similarly, I bought a 94 Winnie at a ridiculously low price from a gal selling "her man's" firearms on the cheap while he was incarcerated, and it turns out this firearm took quite a fall/drop from a tree stand. Gosh, it looked brand new (it almost was), but it had quite a bit of lever side to side slop. I bought it in a hurry, but took it to a reputable, knowledgeable 'smith -- bottom line is in addition to requiring a new lever, a few other parts were required. I was lucky in that I had a spare lever, from another 94 Win I put a Wild West large lever in, so all other parts plus labor ran me a scant $100 or so.
What am I suggesting? Hey, I love Marlins and I envy your new acquisition -- my favorite lever is a 336 in .35 Rem. However, it may be not a bad expenditure of your time, and perhaps a few dollars, to have the firearm checked out by a competent gunsmith. As a NYS Hunter Safety Instructor, I do not omit from instruction how very close to your eyes, cheeks. and fingers is 50,000 to 60,000 psi pressure with each and every shot! Imho, a few bucks to a smith is a much better paradigm than personal injury. I do NOT wish to scare you, etc... however, again, I'd have the rifle checked out before I attempted my modification.
BEST!
geo

Shawlerbrook
12-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Got to agree with George.

1911cherry
12-17-2016, 11:59 PM
Well dang, with my new rifle tunnel vision I hadn't even considered the fact that something might be damaged or worn out. I believe I will get it looked at, you are right, better safe than kaboom!

georgerkahn
12-18-2016, 08:20 AM
So happy, 1911cherry, you are going in this direction! PLEASE post a follow-up after you get it professionally examined? Yes, there is a chance the action -- particularly, lever -- is "just worn". However, I have a 1948-made 94 which original owner (kind of a friend) put MANY thousands of rounds through -- his one and only rifle, and albeit (a plus) the action is butter-smooth from this use -- any lever play is quite negligible.
I believe you're making a most wise decision! Kudos!
geo

MyFlatline
12-18-2016, 11:10 AM
I own more than a couple Marlin lever guns. Have never had one with a sloppy lever. Something is most definitely wrong.
Smart to get it checked out as has been stated before.
If you are "handy" , the 336 is a very simple gun to disassemble and inspect. U-tube has some good tutorials.
Good luck