PDA

View Full Version : G2 growing pains

68 couper
12-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Hey yall,
I had a couple contender barrels, brass and dies lying around for the last 8 years or so. Never picked up a frame. So, I ordered a ss G2 pistol frame as a Christmas present to myself this year.
I found the saddle mount rear sight would not fly on the 35 Rem bbl so I set it aside and installed the 7mm TCU bbl. I checked her out, seemed fine. The trigger job done by EABCO felt fair. Not impressive. Closing the action feeL's a little rough. Upon disassembly, I could see some roughness to the machining where the pawl of the barrel is in contact under the breech face. Not a big deal. I remover the rear sight on the 35 Rem bbl and installed the barrel. Now, the hammer won't cock???
Hmmm, any ideas? I checked the pawl mechanism between the 2 barrels and they seem similar. I can manually depress the ramp inside the action and it allows the hammer to release. Any help is appreciated.
Couper

68 couper
12-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Here is the contact wear on the pawl that I believe locks the action. The previous owner was shooting a g1.

McFred
12-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Use some Dykem or a felt-tip marker to color the locking lugs or 'pawl.' Open and close the action a few times and see if the lugs extend far enough to depress the lever in the frame that disables the hammer.

A new frame may have sort of a rough feel when opening; mine did. It'll wear-in, or you can stone it if it's real rough.

EMC45
12-21-2016, 04:13 PM
I had a similar problem when I went from Contender to G2. The lugs on one of my barrels would no engage and the barrel would not lock shut. I had to magic marker it and stone the lugs till it locked.

68 couper
12-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Thx.
I'LL give er a shot.
Couper

MT Gianni
12-21-2016, 11:25 PM
Does it still lock up well on a G1 after stoning?

EMC45
12-23-2016, 10:59 AM
My barrel locks up now fine in the G2 after stoning if the question was directed to me. TC took my old G1 and destroyed it. The latching shelf had become worn and was opening upon firing. It had a sweet trigger and the grip angle is different between it and the G2. I like the older grip angle due to my small Hobbit like hands.