PDA

View Full Version : Sig shoots low

white eagle
12-17-2016, 12:09 PM
I have not shot much at paper with my Sig 45 acp
but when I do I always print low with 200 and 230 gr.
boolits
would I do better with lighter boolits?
or should I get different sights?
not sure how to handle this problem :Fire:

cainttype
12-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Assuming you're not having issues with handling a handgun... A taller rear sight, a shorter front sight, or a combination of both will raise POI.
As for loads... A heavier bullet will typically raise POI, a lighter bullet will generally shoot lower... A faster load will shoot lower (using the same bullet weight), while reducing velocity will typically raise POI.

bstone5
12-17-2016, 12:43 PM
My SIG in 40 S&W shot low and to the left. Tried different bullets with different loads, did not help. Purchased an adjustable rear sight, solved the problem. The sight was made in Europe and purchased thru Midway.

44man
12-18-2016, 09:36 AM
My neighbor has the same problems with his .357 Sig. He is an air marshal and to hit a BG, he has to aim 3' high. Not good on airplanes.
He can't fix on his own, has to take it to the armorer.

B. Lumpkin
12-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Easy fix. You can buy a shorter front sight, file the original, or get some adjustable sights.

NSB
12-18-2016, 10:01 AM
Two questions: at what distance? How low?
You need to look at the facts/info before deciding how to fix it. Not enough info in the OP to make a determination.

white eagle
12-18-2016, 11:57 AM
the distance is 10 steps from target the further
back the lower of course but at 10 steps about 12"low
I believe I am using 8 gr.of HS-6 IF memory serves

B. Lumpkin
12-18-2016, 12:05 PM
12 inches low at 10 steps? What is that, 20-30 feet?

Back it up to 25 yards and bench the gun. Then you will have a better idea of it's accuracy potential, and go a long way to minimizing shooter error.

12 inches low at 10 paces= shooter error or the gun is broken.

NSB
12-18-2016, 12:58 PM
white eagle, I'm inclined to go along with some of what B. Lumpkin is suggesting. He's close to my thoughts on the subject. However, I'd simply suggest you go back to your ten steps and shoot the gun off of sand bags with only your wrists supported. Here's why I suggest ten (maybe as far as 15) yards. From your post, it's apparent you're either new to handguns or haven't really spent much time learning about them. Heavier bullets generally shoot higher, not lower. Your not knowing this gives me an indication that the problem may not be with the gun or the load. No offense meant here, we all had to get started sometime. I've been shooting handguns extensively for around forty-five years. There are a lot of things a shooter can do to make a gun shoot low. Breaking your wrist at the shot is one of many causes. Therefore, use sand bags to support your wrists and concentrate on not breaking your wrist or "dropping" your wrists at the shot. Do that and see where the gun hits. I'm 99% certain you won't be even close to 12" low at that distance. If you can, get back with us and let us know what the results are. FWIW, It would be very, very rare..and I mean RARE, for a gun to be hitting that low unless someone modified it in a very negative way. If it's a stock gun, it's just not the gun. Let us know.

Char-Gar
12-18-2016, 01:03 PM
How many rounds do you have through the pistol? My SIG 220 shot low until about 300 rounds, then everything seated and the POI came up to POA. I had this happen also with a Colt Govt. Model.

My rule of thumb is don't get antsy about the POI of an autopistol until it is well shot in.

As others had said, the range will make a big difference in POI was well as how you hold the pistol.

When you check the zero of factory sights use factory ammo. Quite often the change in bullet weight and velocity in handloads will give a quite different POI.

It has been my practice for many years to select a bullet of service weight and shoot it at service velocities in autopistols.

cainttype
12-18-2016, 01:06 PM
...I always print low with 200 and 230 gr.
boolits.
would I do better with lighter boolits?
or should I get different sights?
not sure how to handle this problem :Fire:

See post #2 for handgun related behavior.

If your firearm is faulty, or your handling of the firearm is at fault, you would obviously want to address that before anything else.
Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

white eagle
12-18-2016, 06:12 PM
can't say I am new to handgun shooting
I have had numerous handguns and can shoot them proficiantly
mostly shoot at 50 and 100 yds but they are revolvers
I have my own range so shooting is not a issue
not bragging just getting it out there
the only thing I am new to is semi autos
I have had this for a long while but have not shot it a whole bunch
as for the measurement on the impact that is also a guess
never actually measured it
looks like more range time with this handgun is in order

Outpost75
12-18-2016, 07:47 PM
If your SIG has the dot front sight the DOT is the point of impact, NOT the top of the front sight.

Combat sights are not set up for 6:00 bullseye hold but center of mass point of aim = point of impact.

Blot out target with front sight and place the dot where you want to hit.

white eagle
12-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the tip

saleen322
12-18-2016, 08:17 PM
I have a Springfield XD that shot high. I used it for classes when I taught and since I shot about the same distances most of the time, 15 and 25 yards, I knew about how much to hold off. Anyway sometime later I got an instructor deal for a set of night sights (about $30 final price) and I switched the sights out. The pistol would then hold the black on a B8 target at 25 yards. Somehow the XD had the wrong height sight put on it at the factory and the night sights were the correct ones, height wise, for the pistol. It may be rare but it does happen. YMMV

beezapilot
12-19-2016, 07:18 AM
I bought a 220 and it hit low- called up SIG and they explained that it was a "combat sight picture" rather than a "target sight picture" and that instead of pumpkin on a post, you had to actually aim where you wanted to hit. Took more than a little getting used to.

44man
12-19-2016, 09:47 AM
We shot 10 yards with the .357 Sig and it was the same from a rest. Good 3' low. Issue loads. He can't use other. To hit a man size target in the chest took a hold a foot over the head. Fixed sights.

lotech
12-19-2016, 10:08 AM
I bought a front sight kit from CDNN about ten years ago for just a few dollars that included three or four Sig front sights of different heights. These are easily changed out with a drift and hammer.

44man
12-19-2016, 10:28 AM
My friend is restricted by regulations. He is not allowed to work on his own gun. It is issue as is the ammo.

ole 5 hole group
12-19-2016, 02:52 PM
Jim, all I would tell your friend is "regulations" are a "guide" and it would be best if he took matters into his own hands and cured the problem. If someone, like the range master, saw the "improvement" and pushed the matter (which would be highly doubtful) - he could use the same time proven political response - "I know nothing". Just tell him not to brag/talk about getting his service firearm "fixed".

44man
12-20-2016, 10:40 AM
It is his fear to change what does not belong to him. It comes down to a pencil neck at a desk.

Geezer in NH
12-20-2016, 09:11 PM
Your friend needs to man up and turn the gun in as unserviceable and demand one that is.

It would be the day my issue weapon did not work correctly and I would not carry one that did not.

catboat
12-28-2016, 08:45 PM
I used to own a Sig p220 /45 acp. Sig's sights have reference numbers stamped on them ( ie. "5", "6", "7", "8"). The higher the number, the higher the sight. It's been a while since I've sold the pistol, bit I think the numbers are the sight's height in millimeters. They can be replaced to adjust bullet impact.

If you are shooting low, you can get a higher numbered front sight, or lower front site, or both-depending how much you need to correct for elevation at whatever distance you set your zero for that load.

Sig Arms should be able to help you select the proper sight numbers if you give them the basic info, such as "8 inches low at 20 yards."

FergusonTO35
12-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Your friend needs to man up and turn the gun in as unserviceable and demand one that is.

It would be the day my issue weapon did not work correctly and I would not carry one that did not.

Totally agree. If his employer is going to demand that he carry a specific gun and ammo then it is their responsibility to give him a gun and ammo that will get the job done. At the PD I used to work for, the new coppers were only allowed to carry .40 caliber Glocks with specific hard kicking ammo. I had access to a computer file with their qualification scores, many of them were pretty dismal. I am not a good shooter by any means but I know that I would have easily beat the majority of them with my S&W 10-5.