PDA

View Full Version : About lyman lubrisizers

Oklahoma Rebel
12-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Does everyone that has one like the lyman lubrisizers? for the boolits I am going to be working with I am going to get one. it will have to be used, whats the best place to look ( amazon, fleabay,craigslist?) no hurry for an answer but whats a good price for a nice used one? it's gonna take some savin' so in the meantime I'd like to hear y'alls experiences with them. these are the ones that use hollow lube cylinders right? thanks, Travis

Beagle333
12-16-2016, 09:05 PM
I use the old No. 1's and the 45's. ('got 4 of each) I don't have the newer ones. But I do love my old ones. I size my boolits first in a Lee push-thru sizing die, so there is no stress on the Lymans, they are basically just a luber then and not a lube sizer. They should outlast me, since I'm not stressing them at all by just lubing with them.

You can get them on the forum here, or even sometimes a fair deal on fleabay. Yes, they use the hollow lube sticks, or you can buy it in bulk and melt it first and pour it in there.

Sorry I can't help with the 450s or 4500s.

Edward
12-16-2016, 09:39 PM
I have several 450s,the most expensive was $85.00/$65.00 and I use simple lube/and Bens red homemade .Recipes found on lube thread.

beagle
12-16-2016, 09:56 PM
The 450s seem to be more user friendly than the RCBS equivalent. All sizers take some getting use to. I liked the old 45s but parts are hard to find so now I use the 450s exclusively and like them. If you plan to load a variety of bullets in a variety of calibers go with the 450. Sizing dies are a hit and miss as to diameters on new dies. They may or may not size to what they're marked so the first thing you do when you get a new die is size some bullets and measure them. The 450s use the hollow sticks but many of us who make our own lube simply melt it in a pop can and pour it in the top and let it set up.

The Lymans have some quirks. Like the retaining nut that holds the sizing die in. Has tiny threads and you must keep it clean or it will cross thread upon installation. I ordered up four nuts and when I take one off, I drop it in a jar of solvent on the bench and pick a clean one out for the next sizer.

IMO. it's the best way to go. If you want to load a lot of bullets of one size and caliber, get a Star./beagle

labradigger1
12-16-2016, 10:50 PM
I've had all the Lyman's. Several of each model. Sold all of them and kept the star and one 45.

Mk42gunner
12-16-2016, 11:10 PM
I've got two 450's, one an older gray one with the bicycle type grip, one a newer orange one with the updated handle. I can't say how they work because I have not actually used them, I normally use the RCBS Lubamatic that is kept full of FWFL, (same basic design, but it appears to be stronger).

The gray one I gave $20 for at a gun show and had to buy a new pressure nut and o-rings.

The orange one I gave $7.50 for at an estate auction. It seemed like nobody else had any idea what it was. Did I mention it also came with the base heater installed?

The RCBS I bought off of ebay in the early years of this century, shipping can get expensive for largeish kind of bulky items.

Robert

merlin101
12-16-2016, 11:21 PM
I also have two of the 450's , seems like I only use one for some reason. Getting the retaining nut on straight has never been a problem for me, I just set it in place and turn it backward (counterclockwise) until I feel it drop down into position then screw it in. A heater would be nice, but I don't have one so I just warm it up a bit with a hair dryer and that's only when it's cold in my gun room. Price?? I'm not sure exactly how much I paid, I think about $30 each.

B. Lumpkin
12-16-2016, 11:29 PM
I've owned 450's and 4500 lubsizers. I prefer the 4500 for no particular reason. I use them for small runs of bullets. I use the star for large runs of bullets.

Oklahoma Rebel
12-16-2016, 11:41 PM
man you guys got lucky with your prices, depending on how long ago it was, I've never heard of the #1 or #45 I don't think

ascast
12-17-2016, 12:03 AM
I would 2nd Beagle and Beagle333. I use a #1 and a couple #45's. I never size more than 0.002", and mostly just lube. and I don't size hard bullets. I have found that a rifle barrel does a fantastic job of sizing to fit.
Are you shooting pistol or rifle? Generally pistol guys shoot more, rifle guys are a tad more fussy. Fleabay is a good real time price indicator as they are for sale most any day. Shop around. If you want a 45, I could hook you up for $75 to your door, maybe toss in a die or two.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-17-2016, 12:03 AM
here is everything you'll ever need to know about the 45
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166565-Lyman-45-buying-guide-and-cleanup-instructions

I have a #1 and a few 45 and a star.
I've also owned a few 450
I don't like the design of the handle/linkage of the 450, the way the linkage cams, if things are worn, the ram can move out of alignment.

I'd say $50 is a good price for a used one, and $120 is a high price. I paid higher prices...as well as lower prices

Kilroy08
12-17-2016, 02:00 AM
Don't get snookered into buying the $40.00 lube heaters. Cruise over to your local thrift store and look for an old travel size clothes iron. You'll need an aluminum plate to put between the sizer and the bench. The iron gets set on the plate to warm things up.

I picked up one for $2.00 last year and does a fine job warming up the lube on the wool setting.

Oily
12-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Hey Rebel have I got a deal for you! I live 2 1/2 hrs west of you and if you are able to meet me on the turnpike I have a Lyman 450 you can have for free.Will need to be cleaned up but in VG condition and still has the original ratchet wrench for the lube. PM me if you are interested Oily

ascast
12-17-2016, 10:34 AM
OK Reb, I would jump on that deal if I were in your spot.

bob208
12-17-2016, 11:00 AM
you are not going to beat a deal like that even if you buy him lunch and pick his brain on how to use it.

I have two a gray 450 I bought new in 72 I have rebuilt it twice now. the other is a orange one got at a auction. one is setup with spg for black powder. the other with the nra 50-50 mix for every thing else.

gwpercle
12-17-2016, 03:10 PM
I bought a 450 in 1971 , brand new , and still using it , nothing has broken and no parts have been replaced.

I don't try to size hardened boolits and I don't size more than .002" smaller than as cast.
As long as you don't muscle it, with a bunch of Alley Oop brute strength it will last. Heavy handed will get you a broken part. 90% of my sizing/lubing is handgun boolits. I like mine , best thing I ever bought
Gary

marlin39a
12-17-2016, 03:49 PM
All I've used over 40 yrs has been the Lyman 450. I just did a "light" rebuild on the original (Replaced O-Rings). I recently purchased a 450 here in S&S for $65.00. Boiled it out, replaced O-Rings, and should still be going strong for the next guy.

Oklahoma Rebel
12-17-2016, 04:05 PM
that is a great offer but its ok, I have a old star, but it doesn't work very well with the sharply pointed boolits I need, because the point pushes pretty hard into the back of the bullet before it. besides, I only have a motorcycle! but I will add you as a friend, if you don't mind, maybe someday I might have a car or truck to use. mainly I was wondering about how much they go for. people are so nice around here, it is refreshing

Oklahoma Rebel
12-17-2016, 04:07 PM
oh, as far as lyman dies go, how do they work, is there a spring under that "floorplate" that pushes the boolit back out?

Beagle333
12-17-2016, 04:16 PM
There's a rod that comes up from the bottom that goes up through the die and pushes it back out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJNwLcGpLno

Oily
12-17-2016, 04:18 PM
The offer will still be there if you need it or have someone travelling west on 412. I have 2 and loan them out to first timers until they can get their own or see what they like. I hi tek every thing now after all the great info I get on this forum. What are you loading the pointed boolits for?

Kraschenbirn
12-17-2016, 08:21 PM
I've got two 450s...one of which I bought new back in the early 70s...plus a nearly mint 45 that I use only for final sizing of my powder-coat boolits. IMO, the 450s are more robust if you need to size down over a couple thousandths while the 45 is easier/quicker to change dies and seems to have a little better mechanical advantage (less effort on the handle!).

Price-wise, I paid $75 (incl. shipping) a few years back on 'swappin & sellin' for my second 450 (which, as I recall, included an H&I die/nose punch) and the 45 was in a box of old reloading gear from a garage clean-out that I bought for $50.

Bill

Oklahoma Rebel
12-18-2016, 11:30 PM
it is for my sks

Oklahoma Rebel
12-18-2016, 11:32 PM
they are le 312-155-2rs for my sks

Oklahoma Rebel
12-18-2016, 11:33 PM
I actually live right by 412, on the 177th exit, or 209th exit, right before you reach sand springs.