PDA

View Full Version : We laid my Grandfather to rest yesterday.... With loss comes new perspective.

Mytmousemalibu
12-16-2016, 03:23 AM
My Opa on my dad's side of the family passed away early last Saturday morning and we held his service today so family could make it here. We all knew it was fast approaching for some time as he had been in hospice care for a while. He had Alzheimer's for quite a while and dementia and just living was hard enough for him and on my Oma doing her best while always at his side. I take comfort in knowing he's no longer in pain and watching over us from above. He was 87 and almost made it to their 70th anniversary. My grandparents immigrated here from Germany in 1960 with my dad and his brother (my 3rd uncle was born here). The region of Germany my family is from fell under the turbulent curtain that was East Germany from which they narrowly escaped. They fled with little more than the clothes on their backs. Life was pretty rough for them over there and they were very poor. Once they escaped to West Germany, by luck my Opa found work at the military base and became good friends with a man that our family owes a great deal of gratitude to. Phil befriended my family and sponsored them to come to the United States. I'm very fortunate for that and for the perseverance of my Grandparents to stop at nothing. If not for those things, I wouldn't be here today. They were a tough bunch.Back in East Germany Oma & Opa both were put in camps but not the same one. Opa would swim across a good size pond to get to the camp she was in just to go visit her. Like I said, tough people and they went through a lot of hardship.

The preacher gave a wonderful sermon for his service today and I learned some new things about my family than I had previously known. His sister, shared quite a lot of history that most of us didn't know. I owe a lot of gratitude to my family and a new profound appreciation for the life I live. We all miss him and pray God is looking out for my Grandmother as this is hardest on her and also hard on my dad as he's fought depression on and off and his health isn't the greatest so I worry about him too. I cherish the time we had together. When I was a kiddo, we took a lot of small vacations to Colorado and to Colorado Springs where my grandparents lived for a long time. I often stayed with them while my parents took a few days by themselves. I loved staying with them and glad I got to spend time there with them. With a heavy heart I say, may he rest in peace....

OS OK
12-16-2016, 03:42 AM
I'm sorry for your loss and hope your family recovers and finds some peace with this.

I know that for some of us boys loosing our Grampas is awful hard as they tend to take a special interest in us as kids. The patience they showed us and the things they would tell us became shaping influences in our personalities.
I used to spend every summer on an island in Texas that my Grampa James owned a mile up the San Bernard River from the Gulf of Mexico...those summers I spent with Poppa were...well, I wouldn't trade those memories for a wheelbarrow full of gold.

shoot-n-lead
12-16-2016, 04:39 AM
Sorry for your loss and grateful that your grandparents were blessed to escape their early life. Also, I am grateful that you have the memories that will be with you...since he cannot be.

Prayer sent for the family.

USMC87
12-16-2016, 08:22 AM
Very sorry for your loss, Prayers for the family.

jcren
12-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Condolences and prayers sent with a heavy heart.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Sorry for your loss and prayers are sent

Pine Baron
12-16-2016, 11:22 AM
My sincere condolences on your loss. I will be praying for your Oma. Moge Gott euch segnen.

castalott
12-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Sincere Prayers for Love, Redemption, Mercy, Faith, and Hope for you all. Amen

salpal48
12-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Very sorry to Here of Your or anyone else. This dreaded condition. will be the fate of us all. ., It is Only a matter of Time. . Both parents of mine were taken. , Most of my Older Relative Have it. . I am Not that young any more
Like I said the fate of Us all

Preacher Jim
12-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Chris our prayers with you and your family. Now you must take the lead as provider of wisdom

Mytmousemalibu
12-16-2016, 02:52 PM
Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts & prayers. I really appreciate it. Certainly a great bunch of salt of the earth folks on this forum and proud to be amongst you all. Thank you again, it means a lot to me.

Boaz
12-16-2016, 07:41 PM
I understand . My condolences for your loss . It's hard to lose the ones we love and until they are gone we realize the part they played in our life . May our Lord bless your family with the remembrance and happy times . He has just gone home . He has achieved victory , the reunion will be amazing when you meet again . You still carry him , he is still with you , he has only went ahead .

Blackwater
12-16-2016, 08:46 PM
What a wonderful storry, Mytmousemalibu. Thanks. We all need to be inspired from time to time, and it's stories like this, that the media won't give air time to, that really paint us a clear picture of just how truly lucky and blessed we all are here. And we didn't do a thing to have earned it. It's our forebears who EARNED what we now enjoy. And their spirit in being so glad and elated that we DO have it so easy now, is a constant source of humility and inspiration. And so many, many today, take it all for granted! I cannot understand that kind of haughtiness and assumptiveness. So many now are being trained to think they "deserve" it all. But none of us do, really. The ones who really deserved it aren't here any more, and they gave it all to us, at such great cost and risk, that it really makes the attitude of "entitlement" very sickening, when we realize the truth of things. May God help us all STILL. We need it so badly.

God bless you and the family. It's rare these days, when most folks just want what THEY want, to hear someone so appreciative as you for having had great folks like this in their lives for as long as you did. I think that's a sure sign of a true believer in Christ, when one thinks like that, instead of just about wanting to see things never change. It seems the more we're given, the more we expect, instead of simply being grateful for our already given blessings. You're a real inspiration, too, sir. Your spirit is obviously in the right "place."

Oklahoma Rebel
12-16-2016, 11:35 PM
I am so sorry to hear that, I can't really imagine. I am 29 and my 3rd grandparent had passed away by the time I was 7 or 8, I only have one grandmother left,, who lives in florida. I hope you and your family greive in a healthy way and find some peace in knowing he is in a better place.

Mytmousemalibu
12-17-2016, 02:31 AM
Thank you again for the kind words and prayers, I greatly appreciate it. I think i'll go give my Oma some company tomorrow, I'm sure she would welcome some.

Hickok
12-17-2016, 07:33 AM
My sincere thoughts and best wishes for you and your family at this time.

buckwheatpaul
12-17-2016, 07:58 AM
What a great tribute to your Opa! I am truly sorry for loss as I know how important grandparents can be to us grandkids. He is still spiritually with you and what he taught you will be a lasting tribute to him! Paul

WRideout
12-17-2016, 02:03 PM
May the peace of Christ be with you, and your whole family. I never knew either of my grandfathers, but I have a cherished memory of spending time with my maternal grandmother. Those family ties are all-important, and the stories that get passed down help to build the next generation.

Wayne

w5pv
12-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Condolences and prayers for the family God Bless

MaryB
12-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Sorry for your loss, my grandfather went the same way at 96 years old. he spent 10 years in a nursing home and didn't know any of us...

Eddie Southgate
12-19-2016, 09:45 PM
Very sorry for your loss . I didn't have many friends my age when I was growing up but my Grandfather was my best friend . I trust that I will see him again one day and I am sure you will be with your Opa also. Knowing that makes being without him now easier to accept. Bless you and your family and I will be praying for you.

Eddie

P.S. YES, spend all the time with your Oma that you can . As much for yourself as for her . She will appreciate it now most especially and you will be glad of it down the road . Your time with all older family members is limited and is something you can never get too much of .