PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone finding .22 Shorts or Short HP's?

Blackwater
12-15-2016, 07:22 PM
I haven't found any in several years, and when I ask, I get that deer in the headlights look. Anybody seen any in your locale?

B. Lumpkin
12-15-2016, 07:25 PM
I bought 2,000 of them in Huntsville last year. CCI shorts. I probably won't buy any more, and will get the CCI quiet 22's form this point on.

Ickisrulz
12-15-2016, 07:36 PM
The Walmart here has CCI Shorts pretty often. They are the same price as the Mini Mags.

rond
12-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Wally world had CB shorts the other day, to bad they won't cycle in a semi-auto.

Tackleberry41
12-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Not seen any new ones in a while. Little gun store near me has all sorts of 22lr, but have not seen a box of shorts in a while. It always was a low demand item, and ammo companies may have simply shifted what 22 short production there was to LR.

frkelly74
12-16-2016, 09:37 AM
I have seen the low velocity quiet loads but not the regular hi velocity loads. The low vel ones are fun, if you shoot them through a heavy rested rifle and use a 9 power scope and the light is right you can watch them fall through your target. They are absolutely falling by the time they get to the target.

pietro
12-16-2016, 10:49 AM

+3 - My local WallyWorld has had loads of shorts for over a year, and now has dozens of boxes of various .22RF's in their Sporting Goods display case...

[smilie=1:

Multigunner
12-16-2016, 11:26 AM
Wallyworld here apparently never heard of .22 Shorts or CB caps, though I used to buy these at the same store often in the 90's. They didn't have .22 Magnums either.

Oddly they no longer keep CO2 pistols in stock either, you have to order these online for pick up at the store. Perhaps they fear some trigger happy cop will shoot someone they see examining an air pistol that doesn't have an orange muzzle cap.

rda72927
12-16-2016, 11:45 AM
My Walmart (72927) has had 22 shorts on 3 different times in the last 4 months. They have some right now...

Stu-NC
12-17-2016, 02:12 PM
None locally, I finally found ONE place on line with CB shorts. Got 100 to try, too expensive to buy any more now. Not sure what's up with the LR CB and Super Colibri, none available for a long time now.

Wedgie
12-18-2016, 07:23 PM
Bought some cci cb shorts at wally world the other day.

Blackwater
12-18-2016, 08:24 PM
Well, it looks like I must live in a depressed area when it comes to those neat little killers. It's amazing how effective they really are on small game, especially frogs and squirrels. And I like the way, on squirrels, that after a shot, the squirrels come back out and become active again before they would when using LR's. A fine point, to be sure, but even the fine points count.

I've toyed with the idea of putting a slow twist barrel on an old Rem. 580 action I have, just for hunting squirrels and frogs with them. A long barrel, and the report is about like a pellet gun, but the range is longer. As stated, though, one does have to learn their peculiar trajectory. No biggie .... IF you can FIND the darn ammo!

I'm just hoping the newly incoming leadership of the country will somehow restore the availability of RF ammo! For too long, there's been a virtual black market in .22 RF ammo! And I feel cheated by that! Darn it!

B. Lumpkin
12-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Might be worth looking for online? Might cost a little more, but better to have them than not, lol.

rond
12-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Well, it looks like I must live in a depressed area when it comes to those neat little killers. It's amazing how effective they really are on small game, especially frogs and squirrels. And I like the way, on squirrels, that after a shot, the squirrels come back out and become active again before they would when using LR's. A fine point, to be sure, but even the fine points count.

I've toyed with the idea of putting a slow twist barrel on an old Rem. 580 action I have, just for hunting squirrels and frogs with them. A long barrel, and the report is about like a pellet gun, but the range is longer. As stated, though, one does have to learn their peculiar trajectory. No biggie .... IF you can FIND the darn ammo!

I'm just hoping the newly incoming leadership of the country will somehow restore the availability of RF ammo! For too long, there's been a virtual black market in .22 RF ammo! And I feel cheated by that! Darn it!

What area do you live in?

dtknowles
12-19-2016, 11:40 AM
I used to have a pump 22 that would feed .22 shorts and I used them to get more mag capacity and then shorts were cheaper. I don't have that pump anymore and nothing I have would feed the shorts so I am happy with rounds using the long case. I do buy CB longs and Kolibri I have a few boxes of each for times when I want to be quiet and don't need power.

snowwolfe
12-19-2016, 01:53 PM
I wouldnt mind picking up a few thousand of shorts. They were a lot of fun when I was a kid. I have found a huge variety of in stock rimfire ammo at local stores. But none in the 4 local Wal Marts I have shopped in almost 4 years. That includes Colorado and Tennessee.
Havent seen any shorts in any store, period.

tdoyka
12-19-2016, 05:33 PM
the last time looked at 22 shorts might have been 2 months ago. in swPA, 1 gun dealer had 22 shorts/1 or 2 boxes(50 or 100 rnds, i don't remember) only and the the only other gun dealer you could take as much as you want. i don't remember the prices tho, i shoot my 22lr only rarely. i like the 20 vartarg, its seems to put a dent in the local groundhog and skunks and foxes and 'yotes and....

Der Gebirgsjager
12-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Well,, as a matter of fact, CCI .22 Short Hollow Points is about all I've been able to find since the great scarcity began. How long has it been now...3 years? 4 years? It seems like at least 10. Anyway, since .22 ammo disappeared I've been able to acquire two 100 round boxes of CCI .22 L.R., at widely separated times, and four 100 round boxes of .22 Shorts. I've been told stuff like, "If you get over to Wal-Mart on Wednesday morning about 9:00 a.m. and get in line you might get some. Fortunately, I had 5 bricks of various brands stashed, and still have most of it left. All .22 ammo that I've been able to connect with has been at our Pacific N.W. chain named Bi-Mart, and if they have any on the shelf at all, which is almost never, it is the CCI .22 Short HP ammo. Usually it's one to a customer.

Earlwb
12-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Our local Walmart has .22 Shorts made by CCI in their cabinet. I bought some too. They got more in the last I looked. I guess CCI ran off a big batch of rounds to sell. I was pleasantly surprised by it as I had not seen any .22 shorts for many years now. I thought that maybe they had quit making them.

kmrra
12-19-2016, 06:36 PM
I would have to look in my stash , but I have a brick of Winchester in the yellow boxes , they are older ones but have been well kept that I would part with

Blackwater
12-19-2016, 06:59 PM
What area do you live in?

SE Ga., @ 50 mi. from Savannah. It's good to know they're still out there somewhere. I've requested special orders for them, but the suppliers my shops use didn't have them and didn't know if or when they might get some. Thanks to those who've given me some reassurance that they DO still exist! Just got my son a Marlin M-39 Article II and plan to do it up like the old one he had when he was a kid. He's long said that was one of the guns he regretted trading off. It'll have a Lyman peep, new, higher front 1/32" bead (he can still see the little beads), and a Merit iris disc so he can adjust to changing light conditions. He made some really awesome shots with his old one. I can't wait to see what he does with this newer one.

And shorts really do a great job on frogs and squirrels. I remember reading someone in F&S or OL magazines, I think it was, that shorts killed smaller game better than LR's do. I laughed. Anyone could SEE that the LR was "bigger," so it HAD to be a better killer! Well, one day, I couldn't find any LR's for my weekend plans for a squirrel hunt, but they had shorts, so I dejectedly took what I could get, and went a'huntin'. I was very surprised when every squirrel I hit that day simply humped up, and fell out dead. Did they tumble when they hit, as I've heard? Heck if I know. All I know is the proof of the pudding was right before me, and I couldn't explain it, but I knew it was real. Still don't know why it works that way, but they do.

And on frogs, nothing works as well as a short HVHP. They just anchor frogs better than anything I've ever used. And I like shooting them. Gigging them just ain't my style, and I didn't do all that shooting just to chuck a spear!

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. If I have to, I'll try the 'net.

kycrawler
12-19-2016, 08:58 PM
I just bought a case of aguilla shorts. Came in at $42 per brick. I use them in a tube fed 22 bolt action. It holds 14 long rifle or 25 shorts

rking22
12-19-2016, 09:03 PM
They been scarce around here too. I have a nice 241 Remington that is short only, so kinda important to me :) Really like hunting with the quiet little loads!

B. Lumpkin
12-27-2016, 07:58 PM
I don't know if they ship, but Larry's pistol and Pawn in Huntsville, AL had 4 cases of CCI 22 short copper plated hollow points on the floor this morning. $10.99 per 100, or $19.99 if you bought two hundred.

KCSO
12-27-2016, 10:43 PM
Guns Unlimited in Omaha has as many as you want. Shorts and CB's.

imashooter2
12-27-2016, 11:45 PM
Not familiar with the company, but...

http://www.ammofast.com/products/aguila-22-short-copper-coated-high-velocity-sp-29-gr-500-round-brick

Vinne
12-27-2016, 11:49 PM
Not around here. 22 mag also a hard find and dear too. Hope the new prez will change things for the better.

Thin Man
12-29-2016, 12:53 PM
A while ago a friend brought me his Belgian Browning auto rifle, 22 Short only, asking to get it cleaned and to regulate the scope. He even provided ammo - CCI 22 CB Short. Yeah, right, I thought, these will never cycle the action. Got the rifle cleaned and the scope bore-sighted, then off to the range. What a surprise, the CB Short ammo DID cycle that auto rifle. I fired a few test rounds, then filled the magazine and had a fine time popping holes in the target. Perfect function, no malfunctions of any kind. The CB ammo gave decent groups and put a huge smile on my mug. Have been meaning to test my own CCI 22 CB Shorts in my Winchester 74 Short Only rifle, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thin Man

Texas by God
01-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Check out Cabelas on line. You order them& they email you to come to the store and pick them up when they come in. My daughter got 200 CCI short hv HP this way before Christmas. And she gave me one box. I like them for squirrels as well. Best, Thomas.

trooperdan
01-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Does anyone else have this memory or is mine just faulty? As a kid (I'm 74 so it has been a while). I remember shorts being sold in a flat green pack of maybe 15-20 rounds. And I think they were called "Rocket", Remington I think since the pack was green.

sparky45
01-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Don't remember that Dan (I'm only 71) but I do recall buying a brick of Rem 22 shorts for $5. Ah, the good ole days.

Blackwater
01-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Dan, I can never trust my memory these days, but through the mist, I think I remember something similar to what you were talking about. Back then, to find or be given some "old ammo" was like striking gold during the gold rush, or even moreso since we couldn't anticipate when lightning would strike. Have no idea when it was made, and can't recall how it worked, but if I was given ammo back then, I'd darn sure fire it to see! Been a long time! Thanks for the memories.

sparky45
01-15-2017, 08:29 PM
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/425621/5542663/REM%20ROCKET.jpg

KCSO
01-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Walmart in both Omaha and Yankton had them last week.

trooperdan
01-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Sparky45, yep, that is them.. odd that the package is red when in my memory it was Remington green! :) I believe the bullet is powdered iron with a binder instead of lead.

trooperdan
01-16-2017, 11:50 AM
KCSO, I had no idea these are still available! Certainly not in NC or FL Walmarts but I'll do an on-line search. I'd like some of these for nostalgia's sake.

jlucke69
01-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Gander mountain has Short CB instock online. Limit 5.

I haven't found any in several years, and when I ask, I get that deer in the headlights look. Anybody seen any in your locale?

sparky45
01-16-2017, 05:59 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/eyorspt/RemingtonRocket.jpg~original
Got this off Rimfire central. 1955 advert about the Rocket. Peters made a similar frangible and they are around $500/brick. Wish I hadn't shot all mine.

Blackwater
01-16-2017, 09:43 PM
Ah yes! That was the "gallery load," was it not? Mfg. just for the shooting booths at county fairs that were once so popular before the PC crowd took over. As a kid, I spent all I had to spend on those. You had to keep getting the same gun because the sights would be off. Pay once to find out where it shot, and then the next time, you had a good chance. As I remember it, either the ammo wasn't that consistent, or many of those old (usually pump) rifles had the rifling shot out of them due to the sintered iron or whatever the bullets were made of. Sure had a lot of fun with those, though. When you found a gun that wouldn't shoot, you moved to another one for the next round. I was seldom lucky enough to win much before my $$$ ran out. Darn it!

GhostHawk
01-16-2017, 10:06 PM
I found some online some 3 years back. I'd found a winchester pump gallery gun for sale at an auction, paid too much both for the gun and the ammo.

I found it online but paid hefty price for .22 shorts.
I think I paid 15 cents a round and I bought 200 rounds, winchester.

I have some of it left but I am not sure I am interested in letting it go.
Be ready to pay through the nose for it, low demand for shorts nowdays.

slumlord44
01-17-2017, 02:14 AM
I have a packet of the Rockets in my collection. Picked them up at a gun show. No one here has mentioned gun shows as a source for shorts. I can usually find some at most any local gun show in the Southern Illinois-St. Louis Missouri area. Same with long rifles and .22 Magnums are also showing up and what I consider reasonable prices for today.

bubba.50
01-17-2017, 01:58 PM
I see them all the time at gunshows. usually CCI's. and at 13 bucks and up per 100 I'm guessin' I'll keep on seein'em. sure won't be buyin' any.

Bazoo
01-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Ive seen a few intermittent boxes round here occasionally, not common though. Maybe see some 3 or 4 times a year.

Pistolero49
02-10-2017, 12:25 AM
They are rare as chicken teeth around these parts.

WJP
02-10-2017, 12:47 AM
Find them all the time in East Texas. They were tough fit a while but the past year has been good.

Clark
03-09-2017, 12:45 AM
Shorts went from 20 cents in 3 places to 10 cents in 10 places in just a week.

Still no CB shorts
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22-short