PDA

View Full Version : 401 Herter's PowerMag Brass

GRUMPA
12-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Ok folks....I had someone asking me to make these cases. After running a few 100 off this week I'm kinda putting my feelers out for the brass. I put it in this section since (as far as I know) All the 401 PowerMag pistols were all single action. The brass is being made from "NEW" Starline 41Mag brass, and yes I know the dimensions and they come out just great when I'm done.

I'm planning on making these for .55ea plus shipping to U.S. folks only. These are not part of any so-called production runs like I do with a lot of the other cases I do, so keep this in mind.

So how many folks would be interested? I'm not all over the web and only go to a few sites. So if you know of someone that's been looking for this brass, feel free to pass on the information.

.55ea is a good price for this brass, if you look at what this company is asking for them. http://www.buffaloarms.com/401_Herters_Reloading_Brass_it-157162.aspx?TERM=22%20High%20power

Hardcast416taylor
12-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Last year I asked one of the `know it all` gunsmiths at a local large gun shop about the .401 Herters pistol and any componets for it. His reply was simply that he had never heard of either that pistol or caliber.Robert

GRUMPA
12-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Last year I asked one of the `know it all` gunsmiths at a local large gun shop about the .401 Herters pistol and any componets for it. His reply was simply that he had never heard of either that pistol or caliber.Robert

Those are rather obscure since they had a rather short production life. For the folks that actually own the pistol they generally love them, but the downside is/was the availability of ammo, in any form. Now you have j-words from I believe the 38-40 that can be used but the problem still arose about the brass itself. Brass has always been hard to find, and when it's found it's coveted highly. Now since I'm doing a small run of them folks wont feel so down in the dumps because they can't find any.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-16-2016, 12:39 PM
I was drowlin' over a minty Herter's 401 revolver (made in Germany by J.P. Sauer and Sohn) about 3 or 4 years ago...I let it slip by due to lack of affordable brass. I sure would be a customer, if I had that gun.

stock photo
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Fryxell_Herters401/Figure1.jpg

GRUMPA
12-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the move.

I have a thread in the S&S section right now for the ones I have made up...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?322736-401-Herters-PowerMag-brass-(NEW)

bouncer50
12-16-2016, 06:16 PM
Years back they made it from 30-30 brass. Correct me if i am wrong

GRUMPA
12-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Yes they did, but.....they needed to use a reduced charge for some reason. Although I've never done it from 30-30 I can't say for certain just how well that conversion process would work out.

As it is right now, I made my own sizer from another die entirely. Using a 40 cal sizer, with a carbide ring wont reach all the way down to the rim. There's a big gap that's left when you use those 40cal sizers for that conversion. The die I made goes all the way down to the rim, but even then I need to trim off .0015 from the body to bring it to spec, and I also turn the rim down a bit which is right on the high of the tolerance.

bouncer50
12-17-2016, 10:41 AM
I also recall guys rechamber the cylinder to 38-40 to shoot in them.

smkummer
12-23-2016, 01:38 PM
Back when you could sell brass on eBay, I found 4 boxes at the Louisville gun show for cheap. It brought 4-5 times what I paid for it on eBay.

GRUMPA
12-23-2016, 01:45 PM
Well.....For as hard as those 401 cases are to find, they aren't flying outta here. I modified the die I had, now it'll squeeze the 41mag all the way down. About the only drawback to it is it leaves scratches on the body, not really bad ones but a fingernail picks them up. Believe me when I say that a person needs a swage press to do that operation. No way your doing that squeezing down on a rock chucker, well....you might....with a 6' handle, and that proverbial 600Lb Gorilla.

Bullwolf
12-23-2016, 10:13 PM
I've done this conversion before, and Grumpa isn't kidding. Sizing .435 down to .426 or .009 thousandths, is a serious squeeze down. It' difficult to size the brass all the way down to the rim this far. I could not have done it in a standard reloading press without using a cheater handle. It is doable using either an arbor press, or a bench vise.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99963&d=1395218560

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99965&d=1395218589

Had I seen that someone was selling the Herter's .401 Power Mag cases for such a reasonable price, I'd have simply purchased them instead of making my own.

You aren't stuck with a Large Rifle primer pocket, and the somewhat reduced internal case capacity using cases made from 41 Magnum brass, instead of 30-30 Winchester cases.

- Bullwolf

RJM52
12-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Really a shame that such a fine cartridge had to die just because the company behind the idea wasn't well liked. If Colt had dropped this round into the Python/Trooper frame they would have had a real winner...or now the L-Frame S&W or Ruger GP100.

For the work involved the money is well worth it. You may want to also try over on the SingleAction forums as there are several people over there who have .401s... I would also put them on GunBroker...

Bob

reed1911
12-26-2016, 03:03 PM
We make loaded ammunition as well as both Jacketed and cast bullets for the .401 Herter's.