PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coated My 1911 Kimber

HollowPoint
12-14-2016, 09:36 PM
I bought this pistol back when Kimber first introduced their line of 1911 pistols to the market place. If I remember correctly, there were touted as the first 1911s with all the custom features being sold for under the $500.00 price point. Even at that price it was really expensive for me at the time but, I always wanted a custom 1911 and this was the only time I thought I'd ever be able to afford one.

I think it's been over twenty years now and that pistol has been virtually trouble free. It's digested everything I've ever shot through it. It's the reason I took up reloading and bullet casting. I shot it so much I couldn't afford to keep buying store bought bullets or loaded ammo any more.

Before applying the new coating, if you'd seen the surface finish of this pistol you could clearly see that this gun had been places and done things. I've told people this before but I really don't think folks truly believed me. It sounds to far-fetched to be true but, I've killed more coyotes with this Kimber 1911 than I have with any of the dedicated "Coyote-Guns" I've ever owned. This is not because I'm any kind of great coyote hunter or pistol marksman but, because most of the coyote kills I've gotten with this pistol were just targets of opportunity and this is the sidearm I always carried while in the field. It was the quickest gun to get to any time I happen to stumble onto a hapless coyote while bumming around in the sticks.

Coyotes used to be plentiful back in the day; not so much now. I think they've gone nocturnal for the most part.

Anyway; I was looking on the FleaBay auction site and I came across a seller who had some one-pound samples of "Olive-Drab" and "Desert-Tan" powder for sale. I knew that would be way more than I'd ever need so I contacted him to ask if he'd sell me a half pound of each color for the price of one. Even a half pound of each was way to much but I inquired anyway and to my surprise he agreed to do it.

Man! My Kimber looks like brand new. For my first time powder coating a firearm, it really came out nice; at least to my eyes. I guess powder coating all those cast bullets may have given me enough experience to do a decent job on this pistol.

I was kind of leery about the contrast between the two colors being a little to stark so; since both powders were the same brand and composition, I decided to mix it at about a three parts Desert-Tan to a 1/4 part Olive-Drab just to darken the lighter of the two colors just a bit. The Olive-Drab was such that when applied to the slide it went on with a slight texture. By itself, the Desert-Tan was formulated to go on smooth but with a dull finish. Mixing in a bit of the darker colored powder not only made it a tiny bit darker but also gave it a very faint texture.

I'm a happy camper.

I fully expected to have my photos of this project ready for posting before starting this thread but time got away from me. I'll try to post at least one of those pics tomorrow if I can.

You know? The hard part of this project was putting that 1911 back together again. I'd never completely disassembled a 1911 before. I had to go on YouTube in search of a reassembly tutorial. It was a small price to pay for something I've been wanting to do for a while now.

HollowPoint

scarry scarney
12-15-2016, 02:03 PM
awaiting photos.....:coffeecom

HollowPoint
12-15-2016, 08:40 PM
It was either today or never. I had a little time to edit them for the internet. I may have been in to much of a hurry but here they are; a couple anyway. One of them is slightly blurry but there's enough there to see the overall outcome.

The one thing I regret is not taking pictures of the original finish on this guy. It was in pretty sad shape but, no matter. All is right with the world again. This new finish should last me a while. If it doesn't, I'll just do it all over again. I think I have enough powder to redo the finish on this gun at least a dozen times.

HollowPoint

rondog
12-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Looks great! Better than I was expecting! Did you beadblast it first?

HollowPoint
12-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Looks great! Better than I was expecting! Did you beadblast it first?

I'm afraid the photos don't do it justice. I didn't do any kind of bead blasting but, the Olive-Drab powder coat must be formulated to cure with a certain amount of texture to it. When I stumbled onto this powder on the Ebay auction site the sample part they had pictured also showed a distinct textured effect on the finish. This is kind of what attracted me to this color. I don't know if it would have looked quite as appealing to me had it not had this slight texturing effect to it.

I knew that the Desert-Tan powder would have more of a smooth dull finish from the photo that the seller supplied so I added a little green to it in hopes of maybe giving it a little texture as well. It did do that in addition to darkening the tone of the Desert-Tan just a bit. It actually has very fine flecks of Olive Green evenly disbursed throughout the lighter tan finish. The photos weren't able to bring that out. I'm just happy to have been able to get it done in the short time that I did. I somehow envisioned it taking longer.

HollowPoint

jmorris
12-15-2016, 10:26 PM
Looks great! Better than I was expecting!

I agree. What powder did you use and how is it in the bearing surfaces? I would have thought a Kimber would have been too tight for the build up on both the slide and frame.

B. Lumpkin
12-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Very nice. I'd love an update down the road on how well the powder coat is holding up. Cerakote is a joke, so I wonder how well the powder coat will hold up.

PaulG67
12-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Very nice, I like it.

flyingmonkey35
12-16-2016, 12:10 AM
i love the look of the finish, i only have one issue, if you use a harsh cleaner, would it come off? say eds red cleaner? i should throw some cast boolits in some to see what happens. i have seen this on a AR 15 as well.

HollowPoint
12-16-2016, 12:24 AM
Thanks guys. I don't get out in the field nearly as often as I used to so I'm thinking this finish should last a while. I guess time will tell.

A good chunk of the wear it was showing before was just common holster wear; alot of it. It had a couple of scrapes but nothing deeper than the blued factory finish. Now that I know what to expect if I do it again I think if there is a next time it might come out looking a little more manly. (for lack of a better description) I'd like to get the lighter colored frame maybe a just a little bit darker. I would have preferred a "Dark-Earth" color but I couldn't seem to find it for the same price I got this stuff for. I know it's available. I was just to cheap to pay the higher price for it.

I was concerned about getting the powder on the rails which would have caused it to gum up the slide-action. I took my time and masked off everything as best I could. As it turns out, that's all it took to avoid any cycling problems. The pistol itself hadn't really shot loose as far as I can tell. In reality, I've never really fired or even held another full sized 1911 pistol so I really don't have any reference point from which to compare as far as the feel of how a "Tight Tolerance" 1911 feels compared to my well used Kimber.

It could be that it has loosened up but if it has, it's done so very gradually so I really never noticed. I can still hit what I'm aiming at; most of the time. To me, that's what really matters. That and the fact that it still goes BANG reliably each time I pull the trigger.

HollowPoint

Any Cal.
12-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Neat. Interested in doing a shotgun similarly.