PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for

docone31
12-14-2016, 11:55 AM
I have my heart set on getting a shorter barrel for my 1851 Pietta navy .44. I have one in .454 Schofield, but I want to have a non brass capper also.
Anyone got one they want to cut loose?
Doc

Omnivore
12-14-2016, 07:36 PM
I have my heart set on getting a shorter barrel for my 1851 Pietta navy .44.

docone31, meet Hacksaw. You can dovetail in a new front sight, which is a better way to do a front sight anyway, and also dovetail for the lever latch lug. A hacksaw and a safe-edge triangle file are all you need, though a bench vice is handy. A crowning tool is nice for the new muzzle, but a Pietta is usually not crowned from the factory. Otherwise, Taylor's and others sell the shorter, "Sheriff" barrels. A lot of people cut off the 7.5" barrels though, and seem to be happy with the results.

I have one in .454 Schofield, but I want to have a non brass capper also.

I cannot make sense of that statement. What does a non brass capper have to do with a Schofield barrel, or the subject of a shorter barrel for your '51/44?

Ted Cash sells non brass cappers, if that's what you want. They're nickel silver, A.K.A. German silver. I like the snail cappers because they hold 100 caps, meaning you rarely need to refill one in the field.

Maybe you're referring to a percussion revolver as a "capper" though, implying that at least one of your percussion revolvers has a brass frame, and that you'd like one with a steel frame. Who can tell, being that a "capper" is a common name for a tool used to dispense percussion caps onto the nipple(s) of a percussion gun? Does this mean I'm using a Ted Cash capper to cap my cappers, to bust some caps?

So maybe that's it; you have a whole gun, chambered in 45 Schofield, and you want a steel frame, 5.5" barreled percussion revolver although your current percussion revolver has a brass frame? You know Pietta sells a rather nice, 4 & 7/8" Colt "1851" in 44 caliber. They call it a "Sheriff" model. It has a steel frame. Old South Firearms sells them;
oldsouthfirearms.com
They're currently offering that model at $256.94 - not bad.

Maven
12-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Omni...., Wonder if he meant a non-brass framed cap lock/percussion revolver?

docone31
12-15-2016, 11:57 AM
I meant steel frame. I have one already in 7.5" and I want a sheriff length to swap out for it. I have a designated Schofield in the other one I have. Modified and all. One of my favourites.

Fly
12-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Heres one I did. This one is rust blued & I dove tailed the front site. I did one for Charley
one this form also.
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/Fly61/DSCN0002_zps72236a62.jpg (http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/Fly61/media/DSCN0002_zps72236a62.jpg.html)

Fly

bubba.50
12-15-2016, 02:42 PM
if Fly is offerin' to shorten yer barrel for ya take him up on it quick. you won't find better work or price.

docone31
12-15-2016, 04:59 PM
I like Fly. If the one I spotted on Ebay does not pan out, If he can, I would send it to him.