PDA

View Full Version : Broken glass on wood stove

nagantguy
12-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Me and the wife joke that the nicest thing we own is our Jotul wood stove, but it's not a joke it is the finest appliance I've ever owned, it's 0 outside 71 inside and this morning at 6 am I filled her up with wood and the glass broke, now it can be used without the glass but not unless some one watches it constantly and no place I.e. Where I bought it That might sell replacement glass is open yet, just another day in paradise!

mozeppa
12-14-2016, 09:59 AM
here you go nagantguy....

http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Jotul-3-Replacement-Woodstove-Glass-p/7J3.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-MPCBRCZ0q23tPGm6_8BEiQAgw_bAiR0w1GYhf_9zDa_RqjYvWH a7yvdsYjyu-WF5fRRy8AaAglZ8P8HAQ

waksupi
12-14-2016, 11:58 AM
I broke mine some years ago. I cut some sheet steel to replace it over the weekend. I was rather shocked to find it cost me nearly $80 to have the tempered glass replaced!

runfiverun
12-14-2016, 12:12 PM
hard to import quality sand when there is a red line drawn in it.

nagantguy
12-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Sit down than for this the new glass cost $165, it's in and running

Ballistics in Scotland
12-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Dohhhh!!!!! You aren't going to break another in a hurry. I'm a firm believer in wood-burning stoves, and the Jotul ones are extremely good. The one I used to have was British made, and had a door glazed with narrow strips, fitting edge to edge.

For somebody with a bit more time (and Waksupi's steel plate would, literally, fill the gap), they are available from plenty of British sellers on eBay, plenty of whom will send them to the US. They aren't cheap, but nowhere near the sums mentioned. There is nothing like a healthy profit to keep someone in business.

KAF
12-14-2016, 04:29 PM
It is not "glass" it is a piece of clear ceramic. One year I over tightened the clamps holding it in and it cracked. When I replaced it with the $165 dollar piece, I did not tighten it so tight. It has to have room to expand and contract. When it cracks it is loud.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-14-2016, 04:55 PM
It's probably borosilicate, like Pyrex. But all the glasses are non-crystalline ceramics.

Pipefitter
12-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Took the glass out of the woodstove 20 years ago and welded in 1/4" plates in their place. Couldn't keep the creosote from building up on the glass, and got tired of replacing them every 3-4 years. If i want to watch wood burn I will start a campfire outside or search youtube for a video of a fireplace.

Bullwolf
12-14-2016, 07:44 PM
I put a Jotul wood burning stove in my elderly mother's house. She thought it was a really "modern looking" and attractive fireplace.

http://www.countywoodburningcentre.co.uk/img/stoves/jotul-f-363-wood-burning-stove.jpg

While it's awful pretty too look at, it is also very different from the wood stoves that I grew up with. I'm used to a chimney flu, instead of a bottom air intake, and I admire the simplicity of a generic wood stove more. Once you get a fire going, you have to be quick to add wood to the Jotul stove, or else it will smoke out the room.

The fire box potion of her Jotul is also much smaller than what I am used to. I end up cutting and hauling special smaller 10 inch-ish firewood logs, just for her to use in her cute but small modern style wood stove.

It's quite efficient though, and the heat is very directional. Now I hope that she never breaks the glass door after reading how much they cost.

- Bullwolf

Freischütz
12-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Which Jøtul is it? There's no way to correctly control an EPA type stove unless the hole is closed. Don't know about their prices but https://www.onedayglass.com/ was recommended by people at Hearth.com/

johnson1942
12-14-2016, 11:05 PM
i have a french goden, looks like a piece of furniture. uses coal or wood. no glass. just mica in it little windows. best thing i ever bought.

johnson1942
12-14-2016, 11:21 PM
i spelled it wrong, it is godin, havnt sold them in the US since the 80/s.saved our lives a few times when no lights for 3 days and couldnt see 5 feet in front of your for the flying snow. the pile of wood is on the deck. their is something about a good stove, i enjoyed reading about every ones elses stoves.

MaryB
12-15-2016, 01:44 AM
Glass cleaning trick, take a dry paper towel and rub it in some of the ash then use that on the glass. It removes the creosote buildup!

Three44s
12-15-2016, 03:36 AM
This is the one we run:

http://www.lopistoves.com/product-detail.aspx?model=211

We have our own wood so we let it burn ........... our house is 2400 ft. sq. but an efficient one so we do have to watch in moderate temps that we don't get carried away ......... LOL!

We have 17 windows that open however! LOL!!! We can cool things down if need be!!

Anyway, there is NO substitute for having an off grid heat source in a northern clime!

Some of our power outages are storm related but many are caused by people unable to keep from wrapping their vehicles around power poles! They must be magnitized?? We get our longest outages from those wrecks!

So our big stove without any fans can keep things going just fine. With our power on, our two ceiling fans on either side of the stove do a nice job of balancing temps in the back bed rooms without running the central air .... but if the need arose, we can run the fan portion of the furnace and really move the heat around.

I think we use that feature more to "cool" the stove area (living room) than we do to warm those areas.

Best regards

Three 44s

AK Caster
12-15-2016, 10:16 AM
Love our Jotul. Our's is brown ceramic finish with the glass in the door. People often forget a wood stove is nothing more than a nice piece of furniture for 7-8 months out of the year so they should look as good as they work. The wife and I love making a wood fire and enjoy the warmth and watching the flames. Cleaning the glass every few days is a small price to pay to enjoy watching the flames dance.

nagantguy
12-15-2016, 11:07 AM
The Jotul 500 we have is the black ceramic it's a great great stove last night the temp outside was -3 and the house was 72, it'll hold a good fire for about 8 hours when packed full and a good bed of coals will keep the box at about 250-300 for hours after which keeps the house about 65 on the coldest days. It's the heart of the house , as in we remodeled and set up around the stove, it often doubles as a cook top, the Dutch oven at any time may be filled with goodness just simmering away on top!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-15-2016, 11:23 AM
My Century wood stove is designed so airflow from [inside] the top, goes down across the glass and keeps it clean...it will always stay clean, unless I put a log within a 1/2" of the window and blocks/deverts that airflow. I guess I've been careful [and lucky] as I haven't needed to replace the glass in the 16 years that I've owned it, and it is burning at least 5 months of the year.

this is an older photo from my album, where I was annealing brass, but you get the picture
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1569.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/100_1569.jpg.html)

waksupi
12-15-2016, 02:57 PM
My Century wood stove is designed so airflow from [inside] the top, goes down across the glass and keeps it clean...it will always stay clean, unless I put a log within a 1/2" of the window and blocks/deverts that airflow. I guess I've been careful [and lucky] as I haven't needed to replace the glass in the 16 years that I've owned it, and it is burning at least 5 months of the year.

this is an older photo from my album, where I was annealing brass, but you get the picture
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1569.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/100_1569.jpg.html)

Annealing the full case is not a real good idea.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-15-2016, 05:31 PM
Annealing the full case is not a real good idea.
correct, unless you are using the case as a jacket (for swaging bullets)

Bookworm
12-15-2016, 08:22 PM
hard to import quality sand when there is a red line drawn in it.

That is one of the funniest things I've read in quite some time.

I actually laughed out loud !

MaryB
12-16-2016, 01:08 AM
That is when the top of my pellet stoves turns into a catch all for stuff...

Love our Jotul. Our's is brown ceramic finish with the glass in the door. People often forget a wood stove is nothing more than a nice piece of furniture for 7-8 months out of the year so they should look as good as they work. The wife and I love making a wood fire and enjoy the warmth and watching the flames. Cleaning the glass every few days is a small price to pay to enjoy watching the flames dance.

Three44s
12-16-2016, 01:23 AM
We have a new cat that wondered in as a kitten too young to wean ........ but thrive it did! This fall it thought the top of the wood stove made a good vantage point from which to stage ambushes upon the other cats and our dogs.

Well, heating season arrived here with a vengence and so did firing up the wood stove!

So with a fire freshly built, I grabbed the little "tornado" and set her up on top on her feet. I checked the top of the stove to make sure it was warm enough to get the message across to the now not so little one but not hot enough to hurt her ....... she got the message and as far as I can tell ....... she has not made a fatefull leap up there since!

My wife had a cat years ago before we met that did the big jump and it had some real burnt toes ......... That cat was one tough ombre and you paid a price trying to take it to the Vet! That cat healed on it's own after chewing off the bandages the Vet managed to place on it ..... no doubt under anthesiesia!

Three 44s

BrentD
12-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Glass cleaning trick, take a dry paper towel and rub it in some of the ash then use that on the glass. It removes the creosote buildup!

Another simple way is to simply spray it with window cleaner, water, or water/vinegar mixture (when cool), and then scrape it with a straight edge razor blade. Takes about 5 seconds.

The glass in our Vermont Castings stove has lasted 15 yrs of full-time use. It is our main source of heat all winter.

I'm not a great VC fan, but the stove has done a pretty good job. It has a catalytic converter and very good temperature/thermostat control if one keeps the "weather stripping" in good shape around the doors.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-16-2016, 10:18 PM
My 1st gen VC Resolute came with steel plates in the doors. I requested glass a few years back for Christmas. The two pieces ran around $38 each from Woodmans. Upon getting them, I was surprised how much flaming there was in a choked down stove. Handy for knowing when to load, especially given the assortment of wood we burn. We joked that the licking flames put the person closest to the stove to sleep. The stove only has two small tabs to hold in each pane, and we have had them work loose a couple times. I'm pretty proud of our rock hearth we built. Here is a live action shot.

Three44s
12-17-2016, 09:32 AM
.................... I'm pretty proud of our rock hearth we built..................

Ya' think?

That looks very nice!!

We have a pretty artistic BIL in the family and he did our hearth in tile and our natural basalt from here on the ranch. We are waiting for him to do the back wall and when he does, I'll have to post pics as well. Our tile color is just about the same as Silvercreek Farmer's natural stone and he accented with our basalt around the floor edge.

He just had back surgery and he commented that once he heals up and the heating season ends, he would like to get back on it again! I hope he does. He was a pro at it for many years until he got crippled up.

Functional and beautiful at the same time!

I like it!!

Best regards

Three 44s

Handloader109
12-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Always wanted a stove! Lived way down south in MS and heck only would need it once in every 3 years for a day. (Not really, but not many days a year) so we never added one to out house. Bought a home up here that had a gas log. Ha! Just for looks. Glad I never lost power! We would have frozen. Bought current home a year and half ago. Has a small stove in basement that won't get used, but a great big country flame heater. Has two circulation fans that will run you out of the house. One nice feature that we didn't know about is that it has a duct heard all the way to the back hallway. Pumps hot air to near rear of home. Just need wood. Nothing on the property.....

RogerDat
12-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Sit down than for this the new glass cost $165, it's in and running Well good thing you got it fixed rapidly, sure need it these last few days. At that price I'm not surprised it is in stock. Somebody is making some good money on that glass, would be a heartbreaker if they lost a sale.

Geezer in NH
12-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Our PAPA Bear by Fisher is 25+ years old. Put in new bricks and door seal and had a 1/4" plenum and 2 outlets installed since buying it cost $125.00 for upgrades and maintenance. That's uh, $6.00 a year maintenance. Note can't see fire but OK.

w5pv
12-18-2016, 02:24 PM
The way I used fireplace/buck insert with my backside to the fire I never saw the fire much anyhow.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-19-2016, 12:18 PM

I think this is why my British Hunter stove, with the glass in narrow strips, never smoked the glass as long as the wood was properly seasoned. The unsealed butt joints between strips were close to draftproof, but couldn't have been totally so.

It would burn extremely well with the doors open once it was going, but needed closed-door time for nearly everything to go up the flue, or nearly, so that you didn't have to clear the ashes for a week or two. It might have been more fuel-efficient with a more constricted flue, but as long as sawmills have to reduce round trees to rectangular timber and curved scrap, wood is cheap.

It had a rock-wool insulated outer casing with a mesh top, cool enough to put your feet on unless it was going full-throttle. There are few luxuries to match that after coming home on a cold winter day. I live in town now, where it isn't really worthwhile, and I don't know if zoning laws permit it. But I occasionally finger my redundant toasting-fork and western-movie coffee-pot, and look accusingly at the toaster and percolator. They just aren't the same.