PDA

View Full Version : Lee Alox Lube-sizing

Slogg76
06-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Thought I would try out the Lee system of lubing and sizing bullets. The directions state that you must lube the bullets before sizing them. Is it necessary to lube the bullets again after they are sized in the Lee sizer?

clearwater
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
I do for rifle.

454PB
06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
The lubing before sizing does not have to be LLA, any lube will work. A lot of people use the spray resizing lubes like Hornady One Shot. I use my normal case sizing lube and lightly lube every third boolit or so. LLA is too sticky and messy to have to handle them lubed twice.

Ricochet
06-20-2008, 01:20 PM
It's not that bad, and any you get on your fingers comes right off with Fast Orange. But I use Murphy's Oil Soap as a sizing lube when I want to get it back off for something like oven heat treating. Rinses off with water. For that matter, dipping boolits in plain water eases sizing effort when the sizing isn't too strenuous.

bcp477
06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Do NOT think that you must use a lube product that is designed for reloading or cast bullets. Almost any lubricant product can be used....even something like WD-40. The only purpose of the lube is to prevent excessive friction through the sizing die, which would tend to cause deposition of lead on the interior of the die. Of course, the lube has the side benefit of reducing the effort needed to force the bullets through the die. Whatever lube you choose (for bullet sizing), just make sure to, IF it is petroleum-based, wash it off the bullets, so that it doesn't foul the powder when loading.

Cloudpeak
06-20-2008, 05:02 PM
I really like using Hornady "One Shot Case Lube". The very lightest "dusting" of lube gets the job done for sizing bullets through the Lee sizers. I also spray a dusting on my pistol brass even though I use carbide sizers. Works great. I've loaded around 10,000 rounds with my LNL and am still on the first can of One Shot. You don't need to use much.

Cloudpeak

Sprue
06-20-2008, 06:17 PM
My friend uses WD-40 too. I myself use LLA very sparingly. If the sizer handle starts getting harder pull I add a couple more drops into the tub of bullets and shake again.

This is the only time that my fingers start getting slightly sticky and the only time I handle them until they get stuffed. I'm sure Hornaday Hot Shot (which I do use for rifle) will work fine but hey, I'm a cheap a$$.

Not that I won't/don't use the Lee system anymore but I've moved on.

jhrosier
06-20-2008, 09:04 PM
I have used the Lee case lube on the boolits to size them and then LLA afterwards.
I just put a dab on a cleaning patch and wipe each second boolit as I size them.
The Lee case lube does not interfere with using the LLA and does not need to be removed if it is used sparingly.
I've sized straight lino, hard-as-the-hinges-of-Hades boolits this way, with no problem.

Jack

TexasJeff
06-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Thought I would try out the Lee system of lubing and sizing bullets. The directions state that you must lube the bullets before sizing them. Is it necessary to lube the bullets again after they are sized in the Lee sizer?

It depends.

With my slow-moving .358 148 WC, I tumble lube them one time, size 'em, then either load them or store them. For some of the faster moving boolits, I do a second lubing--but I would do a second-lubing anyway, regardless as to whether or not I sized them.

One reason I'm doing a second lubing is I've been experimenting with adding JPW to the LLA, and then thinning it down just slightly with mineral spirits (the basis of which I got the idea for here). I've found I can do two light tumble lubes and get a very well-lubed boolit that is not sticky, but that also doesn't smoke hardly at all coming out of the barrel, absolutely does not lead, and that leaves the bore nice and shiny and a breeze to clean.

Keep in mind that I size all of my boolits. Some say you don't need to size the Lee TL boolits, but I haven't been doing this casting thing for the number of years a lot of the folks around here have. I like to control my variables be being as consistent as I can, so I size each boolit after it's been lubed.

Jeff