PDA

View Full Version : Re-Bluing Blues

Javelin Dan
12-14-2016, 12:43 AM
About a year ago, I posted about gun-refinishing-on-the-cheap. If interested, you can view it here: http://cpastboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?301550-Gun-Refinishing-on-the-Cheap . That project worked out well enough for what it was, but as anyone could guess, there are nicks and scratches that have accumulated with heavy use. I actually have something else in mind for this gun and if it turns out well, I'll report on it.

Fast forward to present, and I've purchased a fairly nice Llama “Commanche II” .38 Special. As received, the gun had a grip that was like new (possibly refinished?) and the bluing was generally in very good shape with just a few minor blemishes – a couple of very small spots of minor surface rust and pitting, and a couple of other areas where the bluing just looked thin. I debated hard about doing anything to it at all, but finally decided that this was going to be my first lesson in “gun bluing 101”.

I studied a number of articles and videos online and soon found myself in front of the gun bluing supplies at Gander Mountain. I decided to buy a complete gun bluing kit by Birchwood-Casey which included Cleaner-Degreaser, Blue and Rust Remover, and Perma Blue, and all the amenities needed to re-blue a gun. I had actually seen a video on Youtube where a guy used browning first, then the bluing and got excellent results, but Gander didn't have it on the shelf so I headed home with just the kit.

While this was my first attempt at gun re-bluing, I just want to report that I do have a moderate amount of experience at auto painting and refinishing. So the basic concepts of careful preparation and cleanliness were well understood and I “thought” studiously applied. I read the “bluing instructions” twice before I started – but I should have gone further - more on that in a moment. I got the entire gun down to shiny, bare metal and used the Cleaner-Degreaser liberally over and over again. The instructions say “When you think you've got it clean enough, clean it twice more!” I did that. I dried the gun with a heat gun and a hair dryer, let it cool, and followed the bluing application guide carefully.

I was expecting the bluing to cover in 3-4 coats. It didn't. I had to reapply and reapply repeatedly, timing each coat for 60 seconds, then rinsing with clean water. This process easily took 1 ½ – 2 hours. I finally got the gun to the point where it looked more or less uniformly blue (black, actually), but the finish on the metal left me wanting something a little better. I forced it dry as described above. The depth of the color and sheen was richer in some places than others. The last step is to apply Birchwood-Casey's Barricade liberally over the entire gun and let it cure overnight. While still damp with the Barricade, the Llama did look uniformly shinier and richer in color. I decided I could live with it looking like that and left it to cure overnight and went upstairs.

The next day I eagerly went downstairs to view my handiwork. I was disappointed to find that an orange hue had formed at the base of the ejector rod and around the edges (and probably underneath) of the chamber release button. Here's where I should have read the entire instruction booklet. The Barricade provided is on a wet-wipe. As it turns out. I don't believe it is possible to apply this properly so that it seeps into crevices and protects everything in a manner to prevent rust from forming overnight. Only after my disappointment did I read the “Troubleshooting Tips” on the last page. Where it suggests the possibility of “Bluing looked great but turned to brown rust” the answer was: “Did not apply Barricade rust protection {OR OTHER MOISTURE DISPLACING RUST PREVENTATIVE}!! Doah! If I'd only known this to begin with, I would have hosed the thing down with Rem-Oil! In addition, the metal had a non-uniformly dull and waxy look to it. A lot of work for crappy results. NOT happy at this point! I actually put the gun in the locker and walked away from it for a few days till the steam stopped coming out of my ears. I finally got it out and studied it wondering what should be my next move.

After thoughtful examination, I decided on a couple of things. The first thing was that with no guarantee of any better results, I really didn't want to take the finish down and try this all over again. The second was, that other than a couple of small “blooms” of orange and the uneven shine of the finish, the overall evenness of the color on the rest of the gun was actually pretty good. I began to consider what might be possible to salvage the existing finish. I needed something that would even out the shine, add protection to the metal, and if possible add color (black) to the areas that were rusty orange or thin. It seemed an impossibility at first, but something was bubbling up in the back of my mind that told me this might all be possible. Then the thought finally jelled and hit me in the face. Wasn't there some kind of polish they used to use on cast iron stoves that shined, protected, and colored...BLACK? Hmmm...

I got online and found numerous products available. It seems that Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware USED to stock this stuff, but now just have it available online. I read the descriptions and reviews of the various brands, and narrowed it down to the “Imperial” stove polish offered by Lowes for 2 reasons: Lowes is closest to me ( in the event a return was in order), and this stuff is water based and advertised to be odorless whereas other types were reported in reviews to smell nasty. I ordered it and after 3 days it was at my door.

This stuff comes in a small plastic jar. A humorous aside: I opened the box it came in and left the jar on the kitchen counter. My wife saw it, didn't read the label, and out it in the pantry thinking it was beef bullion. When you open it, it looks like black tapioca. However, when rubbed onto metal (use rubber gloves!) it is much like applying shoe polish. Like shoe polish, it hazes over rather quickly and takes a bit of rubbing to buff out to a sheen. And as advertised, it is virtuously odorless. I went over the entire gun three times using a Q-tip to force it into cracks and crevices each time applying, waiting to dry, and buffing with a cloth.

Results? I'm actually very happy with it! It did add color to areas that needed it, it provided a needed, uniform shine (but not too much), and it will add some moisture protection. I'm quite sure that repeated applications will be required over time and haven't cleaned the gun yet with the polish applied so it will be interesting to see how it holds up to Rem-Oil. I haven't fired the gun like this yet either, so it'll also be interesting to see how it withstands any side-blast coming from between the barrel and chamber. But even if reapplication is needed every time the gun is cleaned, I'll consider it a decent trade-off against having to refinish the gun a second time with uncertain results. Is this a decent idea or am I just crazy?

waksupi
12-14-2016, 02:29 AM
I gave up on cold bluing all together. I stick with slow rust bluing now, with excellent results.

Hannibal
12-14-2016, 03:32 AM
I gave up on cold bluing all together. I stick with slow rust bluing now, with excellent results.

While I am still working toward what I call 'excellent results', I too have abandoned cold bluing for anything other than small 'touch-up' applications on, say, a refinished screw head or lessening the appearance of a handling scratch. Cold bluing is just not sufficient for complete refinishing jobs, IMHO.

Bent Ramrod
12-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Cold bluing isn't real bluing, in the sense that black oxide is produced on the surface of the steel. It's a precipitation process using some kind of selenium compound.

As mentioned, it is primarily useful for touch up jobs on small areas. Getting larger areas nice and even has all the potential for success as applying spray-on tanning lotion and gaining acceptance by the beach bunnies. You can get a somewhat richer appearance on larger areas by degreasing fine steel wool and rubbing in several coats with it, but the coating is still fragile and will wear quickly.

Whether the stove blacking is a decent idea depends on how well it holds up in use. By all means, please keep us posted.

Walkingwolf
12-14-2016, 12:00 PM

I agree, in the long run it is easier than cold blue. Cold blue is ok for touch ups, but it never holds up.

Mytmousemalibu
12-14-2016, 06:00 PM
I have done the cold bluing by browning first using Mark Lee's browning solution and it actually came out looking very, very nice. If you're going to cold blue something, do the browning first!

Der Gebirgsjager
12-14-2016, 06:21 PM
Dan, the first piece of advice I can give you is that when you reblue a gun, by whatever method, you should completely disassemble it. Next is to work the surface to the desired level of condition, removing as many scratches, pits, and mars as possible. Next, it has to be completely degreased, and there are several ways of going about it including using carbontet, acetone, carburetor cleaner, more and more--it doesn't matter so much as to which, just the completely degreased results. Had you done the preceding steps you likely wouldn't have gotten the orange beneath the cylinder release and pin. As to which product to use, I've heard good results from Birchwood Casey's browning on muzzleloader barrels, etc., but not so much for their bluing kit. I've had some luck using Brownell's Oxpho Blue. Some folks used to rave about results from a product and system called Blue Wonder (or was it Blue Magic?), but I never tried it. Really, there's no substitute for a hot salts blue or a well done rust blue. Some of the new spray on finishes turn out well also, like Dura Coat and AlumaHyde II. These should still be preceded by proper disassembly and degreasing, but are more forgiving on surface preparation and much faster and easier for guys without a professional bluing set-up to get acceptable results. But--if you're happy, that's what counts.

labradigger1
12-14-2016, 06:47 PM
I gave up on cold blue also. Some people say it works for them but my results have always been terrible.
I hot blued a Ruger mkI last year with a homemade solution I found on here (somewhere) and it came out stunning. I can't remember the solution now and didn't write it down. Saltpeter, distilled water and 2 other chemicals.
No more cold blue for me

Yodogsandman
12-14-2016, 07:51 PM
I've reblued whole rifles with Oxpho Blue Gel cold blue from Brownells. Lasts for a few years and then I re-do it. Blues right through oils, too!

Mytmousemalibu
12-14-2016, 07:52 PM
I will say if you're going to cold blue anything, I'd go with Brownells Oxpho Blue. I'd like to get around to doing my own hot caustic but have yet to chase that goose. I do have the potassium nitrate to do nitre bluing and I also bought a couple of Andy's last bottles of rust bluing solution which i'm itching to give a go. A properly done rust blue and some straw colored parts looks B. E. A. utiful!

ulav8r
12-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Used Oxpho Blue on a shotgun years ago for someone else. After removing the old finish and hand polishing it, I use dish detergent to degrease it. Washed with hot water to remove all traces of detergent. It started rusting immediately, small fine spots of rust were just barely visible all over. Using degreased steel wool to apply, I applied the Oxpho Blue liberally with lots of scrubbing, which removed the rust spots and gave some color. I then wiped it dry and then applied several more coats with barely damp cloth pads. this darkened the finish and came out looking good. Oiled it heavily and let it stand awhile before removing the excess oil and reassembling.

Javelin Dan
12-14-2016, 11:16 PM
As always, I should have consulted the experts first! Live and learn...

BigEyeBob
12-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Ive used Birchwoods browning with good results , to get a good blue boil the parts browned in distilled water and it will turn black , clean the boiled parts with clean water and the boil them in oil for an hour or two ,then leave in the oil overnight .Next day remove the parts degrease and lt dry ,and apply a thin wipe of boiled linseed oil and let it harden .Of course it takes time many repeats of rusting and boiling and so forth ,but its the way it was done before all the chemicals became available . I cant get the chemicals that are available in the US ,so I just rust blue my stuff , I use salt water or urine for rusting , a carding brush to clean off the loose fine rust and distilled water for boiling and changing the rust to black , boil in engine oil , and then clean and apply linseed oil . Been using this method for a number of years and my rifles look as good as the day they were first done .I get very little rust from finger prints and rain ,or any contact from dampness and humidity.