PDA

View Full Version : Lg Pistol primers?

Fernando
12-13-2016, 07:55 AM
I see some are using LP primers in match loads (06 14-1800ish fps)
What did you find out that led to your switch.
Your theory or others just want to here the possibilities.
Need to work a load for a new game for me.

Scharfschuetze
12-13-2016, 09:55 AM
It's often done with good success with lower pressure loads such as light to mid range cast boolit loads. For squib loads they may help with the accuracy of the load depending on the volume of the case, the powder used, etc. My experience is that the smaller the volume of the case, the more likely a LP primer will do well.

Pistol primer cups are necessarily thinner than rifle primer cups due to the weaker firing pin strike of most handguns. As a result, you can sometimes get a punctured primer from a firing pin that is too long or from too much pressure in a rifle load.

They are also a bit shorter in height than LR primer so they seat deeper (below the case head) in the primer pocket. I've never seen that to be a problem other than the other way around when someone tries to seat a LR primer in a handgun case and the LR primer protrudes above the case head.

runfiverun
12-13-2016, 07:02 PM
you sometimes have to adjust your powder amount to a higher weight than when using a rifle primer.
this is advantageous in it gives you a little better case fill and a gentler launch.
getting the boolit into the barrel and accelerating it as easy as possible pays off huge dividends when it gets to the paper.

too many things
12-13-2016, 08:43 PM
only problem you may see is the firing pin strike . if the pin is a little short you have some misfire or a delay
I don't know all primers but most rifle has a 3 prong and many pistol has a 2 this COULD effect your result