PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning procedure when switching to jackets

sydney
12-12-2016, 11:01 PM
I was wondering what procedure you use when switching from jacket back to cast boolits
Thanks Sydney

Scharfschuetze
12-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Welcome Sydney.

For rifles I just use a bronze brush and follow it up with a few patches soaked in solvent. When they are fairly clean, I'm good to go. I do fire a fouling shot or two before getting serious about groups or targets.

Pretty much the same with handguns, although I'm not totally sure that it's all that necessary with most revolver or semi-autos unless the bore is leaded up. If leaded up then it's best to remove the leading before proceeding.

Many members here will opine that it's actually more important to remove jacket fouling before shooting lead. I have pretty well segregated my firearms into cast only and jacketed only depending on their purpose, age and value.

runfiverun
12-13-2016, 12:24 AM
cast to jacket nothing.
jacket to cast I clean the barrel with foaming bore cleaner.
I don't get all worked up looking for straight barrel metal just a good soak and a couple of patches then some atf on a final patch.

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2016, 06:54 AM
cast to jacketed Nothing. Jacketed to cast depends on if theres visable fouling or not. Most times nothing. Never was one to waste time cleaning guns that didn't need it.

fastdadio
12-13-2016, 05:26 PM
cast to jacketed Nothing. Jacketed to cast depends on if theres visable fouling or not. Most times nothing. Never was one to waste time cleaning guns that didn't need it.
^^^Yup^^^ What Lloyd said.

sydney
12-14-2016, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the help---sydney